For a Good Time, Call...
Grade : B

For a Good Time, Call... is a good example of a rainy day read. It's short, funny, easy to read and just plain good to have when it's dark and gloomy outside and you need a little cheering up.

Trish Graves is the nom de plume of Trish Jensen, author of my all time favorite Harlequin Love and Laughter title The Harder They Fall by Trish Jensen. Like that title, this one features a stuffed shirt hero who learns to loosen up. There is not a lot of slapstick in For A Good Time, Call..., but there are two wonderful main characters and funny lines - lots and lots of funny lines that kept me snickering and laughing out loud all through the book.

Sherry Spencer is a successful advertising executive. Whenever she completes a successful ad campaign she rewards hersef with chocolate. Actually, Sherry doesn't need an excuse to eat chocolate, since she does so all through the book and feels no guilt at all - bravo for her. Sherry is my kind of heroine - she is smart and self assured and very sure of herself. She does not spend one minute worrying about any aspect of her personal or professional life. She never whines, she never angsts, she is happy, good natured and just plain nice. And there is not one trace of better-than-thou-goody-goody about her.

One day Sherry finds a twenty dollar bill with For A Good Time Call Kit and a phone number written on it - so she does. Kit turns out to be Christian "Kit" Fleming, the owner of the company that has just hired Sherry to come up with their new advertising campaign. Kit is handsome, successful, intelligent and a total stuffed shirt who is carrying a lot of childhood baggage. Sherry, with her professionalism and her happy outlook on life, just blows him over and totally befuddles him.

For A Good Time Call... does not waste a lot of ink about Kit's problems. Yes they are there and yes, we understand why he is commitment-phobic. But the emphasis here is on the developing relationship between Kit and Sherry and it is one funny and tender mating dance. Sherry has enough confidence and self-esteem not be a doormat and not to back down one inch on her principles. Yes, she wants Kit but on her terms. Luckily for both of them Kit finally realizes that her terms are his too.

Don't miss this sweet, tender and very, very funny little book. Like I say, it is the perfect rainy day read and if your day is sunny - read it anyway and feel even better.

Reviewed by Ellen Micheletti
Grade : B
Book Type: Series Romance

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : June 5, 1999

Publication Date: 1999

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

1. I always admired the US ability to fail and try again. At least, I was told that this is American:…

Ellen Micheletti

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x