Danger in the Shadows
Grade : B

Danger In The Shadows is my first inspirational read, and while I would have preferred a higher level of sensual tension, the plot immediately grabbed my attention and the well-drawn characters held it.

Sara Walsh's fears begin to get the best of her when she is trapped inside a stalled elevator with handsome, ex-professional football player Adam Black. It's not because she fears him, but because she begins to have flashbacks of her painful past. Adam realizes something isn't quite right and attempts to keep her calm until the power returns. During this time he is awed by the control she exerts over her obvious fear and is intrigued by her.

After their first tumultuous meeting Adam can't get Sara out of his mind. He wants a date with her in the worst way and persists in dogging her until he gets one. The uproar he inadvertently causes results in her agreement to meet him for dinner. They form a friendship, but a romance for Sara - especially with a famous man - is out of the question.

Sara lives in a constant state of fear. At the age of six Sara and her twin sister were kidnaped and held for ransom. Her sister died during the ordeal. Sara was rescued but has spent the majority of her life a virtual prisoner because one of the kidnappers escaped and continues to stalk her. The FBI has been unable to locate the kidnapper because, although Sara has his face etched firmly in her mind, she has blocked out the memory of it. She lives with her brother Dave, an FBI agent who has devoted his life to protecting her. Sara cannot take the risk of loving a man like Adam. Despite everything they do, of course, fall deeply in love.

"Gutwrenching" and "tense" aptly describe this book. An immediate sense of danger is created and is maintained throughout the story. After reading several slower paced reads this fast moving story was exhilarating and definitely got my blood pumping. I do believe my heart would give out, though, if I read a steady diet of this type of story! There are a few brief lulls but the danger is never far away.

Often, authors substitute action for characterization but that's not the case here. The heart of this story is its characters. Both Sara and Adam are multi-layered people with a strong faith in God. But they're not perfect and they question, but never abandon, their faith. Sara elicits reader empathy with her ability to deal with her daily nightmare and her never ending grief over the loss of her twin. Adam is heartbroken over the recent death of his beloved father and is tired of his fast-paced lifestyle. He longs for a family and children of his own. Yeah, he's a former football star and is a bit presumptuous at times (especially in a pivotal scene towards the end) but he's also sweet, patient, and has a very big heart. He likes to read and loves big dogs. Who could resist this man? Then there's Dave, Sara's loving brother. Dave is brave, giving and will make an incredible hero in the forthcoming sequel.

The love story develops believably, despite the high anxiety level, but the lack of sensual tension was quite noticeable. I am not familiar with the inspirational sub-genre; however, as a romance reader I've become accustomed to a certain level of sensual tension, even in the sweeter romances, and that was missing here. There are a few nondescript kisses and several hugs but otherwise the couple don't seem to have that strong sensual pull that is so common in all newly developing romances. Other than that, and a few minor too-convenient plot occurrences, Danger In The Shadows is an excellent choice for those looking for a nail-biting read with lots of heart.

Reviewed by Laurie Shallah
Grade : B

Sensuality: Kisses

Review Date : July 16, 1999

Publication Date: 1999

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

Laurie Shallah

What is Lorem Ipsum? Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum
Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x