AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
Color me naive, but I don't think they started their sexual relationship until after he split.

Honestly, I don't think there was a physical relationship when they were on set of M&MS, more like that mental cheating thing that was talked about so much a couple of years ago. After he split from Jen? Sorry, but I'm goin' w/the cynics on that one. Wink

Leigh wrote:
Even it they did, he seems a lot happier now.
He does seem much happier and I'm glad for him...I'm also glad that I'm saving $ by not going to so many movies. Cool

It's a quandary for me since, let's face it, at the end of the day, who the heck knows what really went down? Maybe Jen and Brad were already on their last legs, maybe Brad and Angie are soulmates and it was just meant to be. I have no idea. FWIW, I really only go to the movies a few times a year anyway. Unfortunately, for Mr. Pitt, he's a little too questionable for me to spend $10 on. Hey, I didn't see Jen either and I don't plan to until she dumps that dirtbag and wises up a little. Like I said earlier, I tell myself that deep down I don't care...I just care enough not to spend my $10 there. I'd rather save it for a good book.

Last edited by jebe on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jebe"]
Leigh wrote:
Color me naive, but I don't think they started their sexual relationship until after he split.

Honestly, I don't think there was a physical relationship when they were on set of M&MS, more like that mental cheating thing that was talked about so much a couple of years ago. After he split from Jen? Sorry, but I'm goin' w/the cynics on that one. Wink

Very slippery slope on that. You start out as friends, and realize that there is a sexual attraction (being married doesn't make you dead<g>) and then you just get deeper.

Julia Roberts did the same thing with Danny Moder (sp). He was very much married.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I've never been able to stomach Angelina Jolie and the whole thing with Brad Pitt didn't help. I just remember too much of her weird and obnoxious personality early on.

Brad Pitt, what he did to Jennifer Aniston affected how I see him as well and took him down several notches. but I can still enjoy him in movies if they're done well. We recently tried watching Burn After Reading and it was so ridiculous that neither my husband and I could finish it. I do have Benjamin Buttons in my Netflix queue for whenever it hits DVD. It looks like it could be fascinating.

Linda
misty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only two things that I didn't love about the movie. First, I'm not really fond of movies that are told in flashback and then periodically cut back to the present. It's jarring, and I always enjoy one of the stories more and get impatient when the movie is focusing on the less interesting bit.

Second, I didn't really like Daisy as a young adult and didn't see why Benjamin was so pulled to her. I loved her as a child, and then later when she was older, but she was pretty insufferable when she was in her early twenties.

Those two things aside, I loved it. The story really stays with you, and all of the characters were interesting. I hope the supporting actors get some recognition when the award nominations start, Taraji P Henson(Queenie) and Tilda Swinton (Elizabeth) really stood out. I also thought the visuals were stunning, especially the scene where the clock starts ticking backwards, and the fallen soldiers rise.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jebe"]
Leigh wrote:

[As for his take on what took place with Jolie off-camera during the 2004 Mr. & Mrs. Smith shoot, he says, "What people don't understand is that we filmed for a year. We were still filming after Jen and I split up. Even then it doesn't mean that there was some kind of dastardly affair. There wasn't."

He adds, "I'm very proud of the way that it was handled. It was respectful. [The film] will mean something to our kids. It will, that's all."
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
He adds, "I'm very proud of the way that it was handled. It was respectful. [The film] will mean something to our kids. It will, that's all."

Gag!! Let's see if Brad and Angelina are still together when their kids see (and understand) the movie.
MarianneM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Benjamin Button plot premise Reply with quote

Hasn't anybody noticed that the plot premise of Benjamin Button is the same as a much admired book from a few years ago, The Time Traveler's Wife? The living backwards thing has always 'creeped me out' to some extent, because it's such a deeply lonely concept. Of course, we all die eventually, and I'm much closer to that than most of you, but I could never read The Time Traveler's Wife all the way through because it was such an oft repeated loss for both of them. The whole life thing seemed much closer to hell than happiness.

MarianneM
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Benjamin Button plot premise Reply with quote

MarianneM wrote:
Hasn't anybody noticed that the plot premise of Benjamin Button is the same as a much admired book from a few years ago, The Time Traveler's Wife?

MarianneM: I did notice that which is apparently why the release of the movie version of The Time Traveler's Wife was moved from last year to this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: