AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kim76

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience!) Reply with quote

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone saw the Hallmark TV movie, Loving Leah last night? I thought it was very good (if a bit corny at times). The whole teleplay seemed like it was based on romance novel.
Any thoughts?
Kim
morninggirl5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

kim76 wrote:
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone saw the Hallmark TV movie, Loving Leah last night? I thought it was very good (if a bit corny at times). The whole teleplay seemed like it was based on romance novel.
Any thoughts?
Kim

I watched it. It definitely reminded me of a romance novel.

I must have missed something because I couldn't figure out how the hero and his older brother became estranged.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

morninggirl5 wrote:
I must have missed something because I couldn't figure out how the hero and his older brother became estranged.

The brother who was a doctor just said that their lifestyles were so different, they just drifted away. He apparently couldn't live the life of the orthodox Jew and neither could the other brother live the other life.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. This is the kind of book or movie where, if you begin to dissect it, one can find many holes and stretches, causing someone to ultimately say it wasn't that good. I was entertained for a couple of hours, but it's not one I would watch again.
morninggirl5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
morninggirl5 wrote:

The brother who was a doctor just said that their lifestyles were so different, they just drifted away. He apparently couldn't live the life of the orthodox Jew and neither could the other brother live the other life.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. This is the kind of book or movie where, if you begin to dissect it, one can find many holes and stretches, causing someone to ultimately say it wasn't that good. I was entertained for a couple of hours, but it's not one I would watch again.

Thank you.

I would describe it as romance lite. If it were written, it would definitely be a novella, not enough there for a full-blown novel.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
morninggirl5 wrote:

I didn't like it as much as the truly wonderful "Front of the Class" but I did enjoy it. Adam Kaufman as Jake Lever was truly wonderful. I did not get the appeal of Leah as much but like you said, it was entertaining but not at all deep.

maggie b.
kim76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
morninggirl5 wrote:

I agree, Tee. There were a lot of holes, including not enough exposition. Plus Mercedes Ruehl was very unsympathetic as the mom. She was more concerned by her choice of inappropiate shoewear at the funeral than her son's death.

All that being said (plus the predictable plot!), I really liked it and will probably buy the DVD. I haven't seen a Hallmark film I've liked in years...this is one I'd watch for the romantic scenes alone. The dance and kiss were both sweet and sexy.

I actually could see this basic storyline fleshed out and it could be a very compelling romance or women's fiction. I'm usually not a fan of the unworldly/sheltered heroine, but it worked here (though I think they took shortcuts with her religious "conversion" from orthodox to reform).
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I didn't like it as much as the truly wonderful "Front of the Class" but I did enjoy it.

Front of the Class was such an excellent movie, maggie. Lots of stuff to digest in that one and apparently it stuck to the book quite closely. Couple that with great acting, and it made for a wonderful movie.

kim76 wrote:
I haven't seen a Hallmark film I've liked in years. [.....] I'm usually not a fan of the unworldly/sheltered heroine, but it worked here (though I think they took shortcuts with her religious "conversion" from orthodox to reform).

I have enjoyed many Hallmark movies along the years, kim. They usually do a good job with them. Part of the problem is that I didn't think Lauren Ambrose was the best pick to play Leah. She just seemed "off" to me in many scenes. I enjoyed her role in Six Feet Under when I watched that show, but not in this movie. Adam Kaufman worked well as Jake. One of the funniest scenes in the story, I thought, was near the end when Jake came to New York City and Leah's mom and sister were in the car passing by for the second time. I loved the expressions on their faces. That was cute.
LACI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Loving Leah (or Hallmark loves a marriage of convenience Reply with quote

kim76 wrote:
I haven't seen a Hallmark film I've liked in years. [.....]

My somewhat recent favorites are "The Love Letter" with Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh and "The Magic of Ordinary Days" with Skeet Ulrich and Keri Russell. I actually never cared for Russell before this movie, but she really won me over and Skeet Ulrich is wonderful. (But it is a marriage of convenience!)

"Loving Leah" was okay. I didn't understand the brother's separation either, but I liked Ambrose. I think that little quirk that made her not quite right (but right for something like Six Feet Under) is what suited a character that wanted to go to college and could fall in love like she did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: