AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golden Globes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrabs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Golden Globes Reply with quote

I see Anna Paquin won a Globe for her role in True Blood, and then the show also won a Globe. That's interesting. From the comments I've heard I didn't think it was phenomenal.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Globes Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
I see Anna Paquin won a Globe for her role in True Blood, and then the show also won a Globe. That's interesting. From the comments I've heard I didn't think it was phenomenal.

skrabs, most of the moments I've heard have been very positive and I've been going back and forth on whether to pay for HBO so I can watch it myself but decided to wait for the DVD. Since I haven't heard any of the criticisms, what does the main one seem to be?

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Globes Reply with quote

skrabs, most of the moments I've heard have been very positive and I've been going back and forth on whether to pay for HBO so I can watch it myself but decided to wait for the DVD. Since I haven't heard any of the criticisms, what does the main one seem to be?

Linda[/quote]

Yes, me too LInda. We did have HBO a few years ago, and dropped it because it was going unwatched. Now...I would like to have it back to watch some of what is offered...True Blood, and I always wanted to see the John Adams miniseries when that was on. I'll probably buy or rent that.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Globes Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:

Personally, True Blood is like crack. It's completely engrossing and addictive, and while the characterization is the weakest part of the show, it completely matches the Southern Gothic feel of the books.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the characterisation being weak. And that a lot of it was changed from the book? I can't give an opinion not having watched any of it, I just wondered if that were true or not. I might have to get my hands on a copy when (if) it hits Oz. We often get the DVD sets here though I refuse to pay for tv when I don't really watch it very often. I would probably watch a lot more of it if I got Pay, because I am addicted to nature docos, old movies and a lot of the interesting shows that never seem to make prime time here. LOL. Probably best if I don't.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
Pretty much the characterization being weak. And that a lot of it was changed from the book? I can't give an opinion not having watched any of it, I just wondered if that were true or not. I might have to get my hands on a copy when (if) it hits Oz. We often get the DVD sets here though I refuse to pay for tv when I don't really watch it very often. I would probably watch a lot more of it if I got Pay, because I am addicted to nature docos, old movies and a lot of the interesting shows that never seem to make prime time here. LOL. Probably best if I don't.

Ah. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself that there will be a lot of changes from the book, there always is, unfortunately. Still, it was a little tough for me with Twilight though I did get used to it and by the second viewing I was ok with it. I already know that Anna Paquin doesn't sound like I imagine Sookie to in my own mind but that's nothing new either, same thing happens when I try to listen to books on tape that I've already read.

Still, I've heard a lot of good buzz from people that are watching it so I hold out hope that there's something worthwhile there. While it's hard to wait getting the DVD will be much cheaper than paying $15 more a month just to catch the eps as they air.

Linda
keepsbooks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for what it's worth, I did subscribe to HBO again just for Trueblood (& Bill Mahr Smile ) & while I watched every episode, I was disappointed.

Spoilers
1st - A lot more kinky sex & casual nudity that what we "see" on screen in the books. I'm not a prude, but I didn't picture Sookie's universe like that. Some of the stuff gave me the willies. There is a HOT scene of Eric the Viking stretched out nude in the bathtub, though, that was a FINE addition to the series! Wink

2nd - Characterizations are different from the books. Drastically. Sookie was always trying to be polite (as her grandma raised her to be) in the books, but on the show she's angry & rude many times when it didn't fit the scene. Now, as the books have gone on, she's gotten more assertive, but not in this faux-feisty way. Jason is as unlikable onscreen as in the books, and he gets a lot more face time on HBO than in the books. Tara's character onscreen only shares a name with the book-Tara, Sam is very volitile on HBO & hooks up with Tara, then Tara hooks up with Jason, then Jason's boinking someone out behind Merlottes near the dumpster...you get my drift. Oh, and Eric & Pam are jerks Sad HOWEVER, Bill is nicely played.

3rd - While the overall plot arc of book 1 is pretty faithfully followed, a lot of extraneous, uninteresting, and sometimes gross stuff is added. Jason develops a "v" drug habit (drinking vampire blood to get high) that begets some antics, that lead to Jason & his girl kidnapping a vampire to drain his blood. They keep him for days in the basement, tied with silver chains which burn him, drain him, then make out on the basement floor near him. It's just icky! And Eric is mean. There's some voodoo bs with Tara's mom, Lafayette's Tara's cousin & he's a drug dealer/vampire whore/on-the-road-crew-with-Jason in addition to being a short-order cooks at Merlottes. He's a great character, though, at least. Did I mention they made Eric mean?

The Southern Gothic feel of the books is captured rather well, I think, and the music is nice. Bill & Sookie's first time is sexy. Sam's unrequited love for Sookie is evident, but inexplicable because of the aforementioned ongoing Tara hook-up. Eric is mean, but HOT!

Enough.

Leslie
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepsbooks wrote:
Well, for what it's worth, I did subscribe to HBO again just for Trueblood (& Bill Mahr Smile ) & while I watched every episode, I was disappointed.

Spoilers
1st - A lot more kinky sex & casual nudity that what we "see" on screen in the books. I'm not a prude, but I didn't picture Sookie's universe like that. Some of the stuff gave me the willies. There is a HOT scene of Eric the Viking stretched out nude in the bathtub, though, that was a FINE addition to the series! Wink

2nd - Characterizations are different from the books. Drastically. Sookie was always trying to be polite (as her grandma raised her to be) in the books, but on the show she's angry & rude many times when it didn't fit the scene. Now, as the books have gone on, she's gotten more assertive, but not in this faux-feisty way. Jason is as unlikable onscreen as in the books, and he gets a lot more face time on HBO than in the books. Tara's character onscreen only shares a name with the book-Tara, Sam is very volatile on HBO & hooks up with Tara, then Tara hooks up with Jason, then Jason's boinking someone out behind Merlottes near the dumpster...you get my drift. Oh, and Eric & Pam are jerks Sad HOWEVER, Bill is nicely played.

3rd - While the overall plot arc of book 1 is pretty faithfully followed, a lot of extraneous, uninteresting, and sometimes gross stuff is added. Jason develops a "v" drug habit (drinking vampire blood to get high) that begets some antics, that lead to Jason & his girl kidnapping a vampire to drain his blood. They keep him for days in the basement, tied with silver chains which burn him, drain him, then make out on the basement floor near him. It's just icky! And Eric is mean. There's some voodoo bs with Tara's mom, Lafayette's Tara's cousin & he's a drug dealer/vampire whore/on-the-road-crew-with-Jason in addition to being a short-order cooks at Merlottes. He's a great character, though, at least. Did I mention they made Eric mean?

The Southern Gothic feel of the books is captured rather well, I think, and the music is nice. Bill & Sookie's first time is sexy. Sam's unrequited love for Sookie is evident, but inexplicable because of the aforementioned ongoing Tara hook-up. Eric is mean, but HOT!

Enough.

Leslie

Ok, Leslie, thanks for explaining! Out of all this what disappointments me most is that Eric is mean and Sookie is not her polite self. I always loved that aspect about her and I enjoyed having a crush on Eric as well. So pooh!

I'll still watch them on DVD but I'm glad to be warned. :)

Linda
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And that a lot of it was changed from the book?

That could be a very good thing, for those of us who can't stand the books. Smile I don't get the buzz over Harris. She writes about people I wouldn't want to spend five minutes with in real life, much less in fiction, and jerks us around with the romance in the series. No, thanks. A change would do her good.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
keepsbooks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Ok, Leslie, thanks for explaining! Out of all this what disappointments me most is that Eric is mean and Sookie is not her polite self. I always loved that aspect about her and I enjoyed having a crush on Eric as well. So pooh!

I'll still watch them on DVD but I'm glad to be warned. :)

Linda

Oh, it's still worth watching (don't think I made that clear), I just kept saying (to my husband's increasing annoyance), "That's not what happens in the books!" For the others I know who've watched without having read the books, they all think it's great. Like with Twilight, just go into it expecting nothing & be happily surpised with what you get :)

Leslie
keepsbooks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Quote:
And that a lot of it was changed from the book?

That could be a very good thing, for those of us who can't stand the books. Smile I don't get the buzz over Harris. She writes about people I wouldn't want to spend five minutes with in real life, much less in fiction, and jerks us around with the romance in the series. No, thanks. A change would do her good.

LOL, there is that! Her writing just happens to really resonate with me. [shrug] Who knows why, but I've reread this series & her Shakespeare series many times. I didn't "get" her cozy mystery series (can't think of the name), so I can see how she wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

Oh, & my husband _really_ likes the sex & nudity. Whatever it takes... :)

Leslie
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepsbooks wrote:
And that a lot of it was changed from the bookLOL, there is that! Her writing just happens to really resonate with me. [shrug] Who knows why, but I've reread this series & her Shakespeare series many times. I didn't "get" her cozy mystery series (can't think of the name), so I can see how she wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

Oh, & my husband _really_ likes the sex & nudity. Whatever it takes... :)

Leslie

Oh I think the hubby wouldn't mind that aspect either! LOL

I adore the Sookie books so I'm not looking forward to seeing changes made from book to series, but I'm willing to put up with them if the show is good anyway. I just have to put the books out of my mind as much as possible, it will probably get easier as it goes along. I hope the first season is out on DVD soon, the suspense to watch has been killing me.

Linda
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't read the books, so I had no expectations one way or the other. I watched through the episode when Bill left for the tribunal, and the friendly dog slept on Sookie's bed, where a naked Sam awoke the next morning. I haven't watched any more episodes because Jason's addiction to V, and his and his companion's machinations in kidnapping the hapless vampire to maintain their supply of V thoroughly repulsed me.

My favorite character was the grandmother. Unfortunately, after her murder, the quality of the episodes declined precipitously.

Kay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: