AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

romance to movies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: romance to movies Reply with quote

What strictly-romance novel would you most like to see go to movies?
I'd love to see Chase's Lord of Scoundrels on the big screen though you'd need a really well-matched pair of leads, like those of yea olden hollywood and a fair bit of editing to make it movie-appropriate. Or even Mr. Impossible would be fun. To Have and To Hold could be quite a gritty drama or something from SEP for a comedy.
My vote for paranormal would have to be Bitten by Armstrong. I think it would translate well. The only problem would be casting these!

As a tele-series (and I know they're not romance), I'd love to see the Lymond Chronicles bought to life. And you thought the Tudors was thrilling!
Schola

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on the same wavelength, Skrabs, about Loretta Chase. I remember rereading Lord Perfect and thinking it would make a great movie. I even saw one sequence unfolding in my mind: a montage (I'm not sure if that's the right term) with snippets of a day in Benedict's life. We'd see him with his valet in the morning, at the club, doing business with solicitors (or whatever)--everything running like clockwork until he takes Peregrine to the museum (with an Oscar winning recreation of the Egyptian exhibit!) and runs into Bathsheba and her daughter.

I also agree about Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books making a neat transition from page to screen . . . though perhaps not Nobody's Baby But Mine, because of the heroine pretending to be a prostitute. Laughing

It seems that the funnier Romance novels will be the easiest to adapt to a mainstream romantic movie.
Marcella

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of them and... none.
They always turn out to be a disappointment. But, if they had unlimited budgets and a good cast etc etc. I wouldn't mind seeing the first six (?) Jo Beverley's Mallorens on screen. Lisa Kleypas would be great. Or Eloisa James. And of course the whole In Death series!

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Rothgar. What a great costume drama. I can just see him in his white wig and that look of cool disdain as he sits in his carriage.
Kass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could get an all British company and actors, I'd love to see Heyer's The Masqueraders on film. I'm not sure who could play Robin, though.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Cora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:

I also agree about Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books making a neat transition from page to screen . . . though perhaps not Nobody's Baby But Mine, because of the heroine pretending to be a prostitute. Laughing

Well, it's no longer the 1930s to early 1960s, when Hollywood movies had to hide the issue of prostitution so well that I found many of the movies difficult to decode when I was younger and often find myself wishing that if they were making films about prostitution, they would just say so out loud, instead of going on about toilet money, it being illegal for women to cross state lines or whatever the hell was going on in Irma La Douce.

But if Pretty Woman was acceptable and a huge success 20 years ago, I don't see why Nobody's Baby but Mine shouldn't be.
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the first six (?) Jo Beverley's Mallorens on screen.

How about the first five Georgian books as a mini-series? There are incidents that overlap, after all, and several character arcs are developed over two or three books. Good luck getting the orgy and the brothel in, though! :lol:

Cora wrote:
Schola wrote:

Well, it's no longer the 1930s to early 1960s, when Hollywood movies had to hide the issue of prostitution so well that I found many of the movies difficult to decode when I was younger and often find myself wishing that if they were making films about prostitution, they would just say so out loud, instead of going on about toilet money, it being illegal for women to cross state lines or whatever the hell was going on in Irma La Douce.

But if Pretty Woman was acceptable and a huge success 20 years ago, I don't see why Nobody's Baby but Mine shouldn't be.

I may be wrong, of course, but I don't think mainstream audiences (and I do mean the entire world, not just America) will be very accepting of a heroine who deceives a man so that she can steal his sperm--especially in an age when donors are readily available. It won't matter who plays her; she won't be sympathetic.

How ironic, aye, when the heroine in Pretty Woman really was a prostitute? Razz
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella wrote:
Lots of them and... none.
They always turn out to be a disappointment.

Have to agree with you Marcella.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: