AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marley and Me...the movie.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Marley and Me...the movie. Reply with quote

Good movie, not quite as charming as the book, but entertaining with some really wonderful dog antics. And the Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson pairing worked for me. Aniston holds back her usual "character". She always plays the same person IMO, but in this movie she was more subdued. I liked Owen Wilson as John Grogan, I suppose because I've always thought they resemble each other physically. The ending was a tough one for me. I actually skimmed it in the book because it was so sad, and it hits home for me. Very painful to hold back crying in a theatre. Fun movie though...bring a kleenex.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quickie review on the movie, xina. As you know, I read the book also when it first came out and absolutely loved it, even though the ending was bittersweet. The Detroit Free Press gave it a good mark, too, and said Owen Wilson turned in one of his best performances. That's good to hear, because his acting usually doesn't do a lot for me. I hope to see it soon.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Thanks for the quickie review on the movie, xina. As you know, I read the book also when it first came out and absolutely loved it, even though the ending was bittersweet. The Detroit Free Press gave it a good mark, too, and said Owen Wilson turned in one of his best performances. That's good to hear, because his acting usually doesn't do a lot for me. I hope to see it soon.

Yes, I thought they both downplayed their usual personalities that they both display on the big screen. The movie was about their marriage and growing family and of course Marley. The ending is Gut-Wrenching. Owen Wilson contributed so much to those scenes. Really, the theatre was absolutely packed. This is the first time I"ve been to a movie on Christmas Day. I couldn't believe how many people were there!
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Marley and Me...the movie. Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Good movie, not quite as charming as the book, but entertaining with some really wonderful dog antics. And the Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson pairing worked for me. Aniston holds back her usual "character". She always plays the same person IMO, but in this movie she was more subdued. I liked Owen Wilson as John Grogan, I suppose because I've always thought they resemble each other physically. The ending was a tough one for me. I actually skimmed it in the book because it was so sad, and it hits home for me. Very painful to hold back crying in a theatre. Fun movie though...bring a kleenex.

Xina, Jennifer Aniston is one actress that I just don't like so I doubt I will see it.

Same with the guy she used to date (he is in the movie with Reese Witherspoon). I dislike him also, so doubt that I will see that move.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Marley and Me...the movie. Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
Xina, Jennifer Aniston is one actress that I just don't like so I doubt I will see it.

Same with the guy she used to date (he is in the movie with Reese Witherspoon). I dislike him also, so doubt that I will see that move.

Vince Vaughn. He and Jennifer Anniston were in The Breakup, an excruciating movie. I couldn't wait for them to actually break up.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Marley and Me...the movie. Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Leigh wrote:

Vince Vaughn. He and Jennifer Anniston were in The Breakup, an excruciating movie. I couldn't wait for them to actually break up.
e

I hated that movie too and generally, don't care for Jennifer Aniston. She seems to play her Rachel-from-Friends in every movie...sometimes a little edgier, but the same, same, same old crap. However, in this movie she played a normal person married to a newspaper reporter with a really wild dog. I was all set to be hating her, but didn't. I adored the book and love dogs, so I had to see it. I really think some people who are very sensitive to losing their dogs to death or old age should think twice. It was painful for me to watch that in public...at home I could have cried my eyes out, but I didn't want to leave the theatre looking like something that had been wrung out. It was difficult. It was fun coming home to my healthy, relatively young, vibrant dogs. I've had dogs who have died of old age, and they break you heart. Nice movie for those who love dogs though. I would recommend waiting for the DVD though so a person can cry and sob and not bother anyone.
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a total dog person and would love to see this movie based on the previews. Why do they have to have every animal movie/book end with them dying. Mad I just lost two of my dogs in November within two weeks of each other. There is no way I could sit through this movie. I'm going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD and then I can just skip the ending.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie (kat) wrote:
I'm a total dog person and would love to see this movie based on the previews. Why do they have to have every animal movie/book end with them dying. Mad I just lost two of my dogs in November within two weeks of each other. There is no way I could sit through this movie. I'm going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD and then I can just skip the ending.

Oh, I am so sorry about your dogs. I don't have any desire to see any movie that has the animal dying at the end.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
Katie (kat) wrote:

Oh, I am so sorry about your dogs. I don't have any desire to see any movie that has the animal dying at the end.

Well, unfortunately, that is part of having a dog. They don't live as long as human beings, and they break your heart. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've had some wonderful friends in my dogs...friendships that I will always remember forever. So, a movie about a dog dying is bittersweet, because...that is the way it is. I think I would have been better watching this at home. I totally skipped the part in the book...but went back to read it after a few days. In Marley...the dog lives a happy, wonderful life. He is loved in a big way by his family. The sadness is what goes along with losing a beloved pet. I have lost 3, and it gets harder each time, but I would never stop having a dog in my life. they add so much....
Kass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have any desire to see any movie that has the animal dying at the end.

Seconded. One of my new favorite books is Gordon Korman's No More Dead Dogs, which critiques those old classics that always tear at your heart by killing off the dog at the end. No, thanks. It'll be hard enough to deal with it when my pets ACTUALLY die...I don't want to anticipate the pain of losing them.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Well, unfortunately, that is part of having a dog. They don't live as long as human beings, and they break your heart. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. [.....] The sadness is what goes along with losing a beloved pet. I have lost 3, and it gets harder each time, but I would never stop having a dog in my life. they add so much....

Yep, xina, saying it any other way would just not be true. The day you get a dog, cat or any animal, most likely you will outlive it. That's just the way it is. I swore after our 17-yr-old mutt and then our 12-yr-old Lab died, that I would have no more dogs. Ten years later, here we are with another Lab (a rescued one this time) and I absolutely love and adore her. Of course, I hope she lives forever, but that's fantasy. But I'll do my best while she's here with us. A person with a pet just can't get caught up in dwelling on shorter life spans in animals. You just go with the flow and that's it. Of course, this will be our last dog...yeah, yeah! Laughing

Last edited by Tee on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, xina, saying it any other way would just not be true. The day you get a dog, cat or any animal, most likely you will outlive it. That's just the way it is. I swore after our 17-yr-old mutt and then our 12-yr-old Lab died, that I would have no more dogs. Ten years later, here we are with another Lab (a rescued one this time) and I absolutely love and adore her. Of course, I hope she lives forever, but that's fantasy. But I'll do my best while she's here with us. A person with a pet just can't caught up in dwelling on shorter life spans in animals. You just go with the flow and that's it. Of course, this will be our last dog...yeah, yeah! Laughing[/quote]

I'm the same Tee. Wouldn't it be nice if dogs lived as long as humans? I don't think it's fair Crying or Very sad ! At any rate, I am willing to go through the heartache, just for the pleasure of having them. My dogs are so young now...and our kitty, but I know that even with the best of care, they age year by year. I think that animal lovers realize that when they see Marley...it's part of the package. When we went the theatre was packed, and sitting there, I wondered if most of the people attending had or has had a beloved pet at one point in their lives. I looked around at others during the sad scenes and some....actually most, were very stoic, or at least seeming so.
I guess the dog that broke my heart...the most, was our 17yr. old sheltie. He had been with us since my son was a baby, and oddly, I thought he would live forever. I guess I was hoping....
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Well, unfortunately, that is part of having a dog. They don't live as long as human beings, and they break your heart. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've had some wonderful friends in my dogs...friendships that I will always remember forever. So, a movie about a dog dying is bittersweet, because...that is the way it is. I think I would have been better watching this at home. I totally skipped the part in the book...but went back to read it after a few days. In Marley...the dog lives a happy, wonderful life. He is loved in a big way by his family. The sadness is what goes along with losing a beloved pet. I have lost 3, and it gets harder each time, but I would never stop having a dog in my life. they add so much....

First off, thank you Leigh. It's been hell. My 13 year old deaf dalmatian Emmy was my baby. She was the one who followed me around and curled up in my arms and I think I'll miss her until I die. Her death was totally unexpected. Molly, my beagle, had cancer. Her death was more expected, but still hurt and coming right after Emmy's death was unbearable.

Hi Xina! I really don't see your point. Yes, dogs die and so do people and so do kids, but not everyone wants to have to focus on that death reading a book or watching a movie. I'll always have animals in my life, but I'll never want to watch movies where animals die. The real thing is horrific enough, I don't need to be "entertained" by it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't watch movies with sick & dying kids and I wouldn't tell them that's part of having a child.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I didn't realize this book/movie had a sad ending. We lost our beloved German Shepherd not long ago and we miss him terribly. We have an American Eskimo Spitz that is 17 so I know we are in for heartache soon for her as well. We also have a Pug that is just over a year, he is a handful and brings us all so much pleasure. So anyway, obviously we are big animal lovers (have 3 cats as well) and I thought this movie looked so cute, I had not read the book and didn't realize it was going to end sadly. I remember balling my eyes out in the theater at the end of King Kong, I was actually sobbing and couldn't help myself.

Hmm, I guess I'll rent it on DVD but I am glad for the warning about the ending, it's better that I know ahead of time. I've always enjoyed Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston can be pretty good.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xina! I really don't see your point. Yes, dogs die and so do people and so do kids, but not everyone wants to have to focus on that death reading a book or watching a movie. I'll always have animals in my life, but I'll never want to watch movies where animals die. The real thing is horrific enough, I don't need to be "entertained" by it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't watch movies with sick & dying kids and I wouldn't tell them that's part of having a child.[/quote]

I try to avoid those movies as much as possible too. I probably wouldn't have gone to the movie, but my daughter wanted to see it, and I had read the book and knew it was mostly a light hearted movie. Also, we sort of have a Marley of our own...but he's in the form of a Beagle. He was a little devil when he was a pup, but so sweet..the sweetest dog I've ever had, but the most troublesome too. So, in a way, I could relate to Marley's antics. And yes, the movie was entertaining and so was the book. I probably shouldn't have watched it in public. I felt, during those scenes, that I could break something on my person just holding back the *sobs* that I would have let out if I were by myself. My husband isn't nearly the cry baby I am, but even he was choked up. At the end of the movie he made a comment like..."Well, on that happy note."
Also, to your other point...I would never compare the death of a child to a pet. I love my dogs dearly, but if one of my children died I'm not sure what I would do. I hope that never happens. Pets don't equal children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: