AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcomet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Reply with quote

I absolutely loved this movie. I really never was that much into Brad Pitt, but boy he is becoming quite the man. He reminds me of a young Robert Redford which I think I have heard others say. He does an excellent job playing the character of Benjamin. This was a long movie and I was very happy that it was because the story was exceptional. I will buy this movie when it comes out.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, redcomet. I'm still angry with Brad and his treatment of Jen but I will watch this movie once the library orders it.
jebe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Thanks for the review, redcomet. I'm still angry with Brad and his treatment of Jen but I will watch this movie once the library orders it.

And thank you, LeeB, for saying what I felt! I know I shouldn't care, and I tell myself that deep down I don't care, but it just really felt like he cheated. And then when Angelina made those comments this past year about how they fell in love on the set of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"? Well, that pretty much relegated my Brad Pitt viewing to TV showings. But, hey, I'm really looking forward to this showing up on TNT in 2011!
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - And I thought I was the only one who felt this way. While part of me is dying to see this movie and thinks Brad Pitt is gorgeous, a larger part of me thinks this is the guy who cheated on his wife while making another movie - and the woman in question said at the time she would NEVER have an affair with a married man since that's what her father did to her mother.

Snort!!
I'm afraid there isn't enough do gooding that Pitt and Jolie can do, or no movie I want to see bad enough that will make me get past what the two of them did.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL - And I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Me too. Also, while I never loved Tom Crusie, I would have watched his films, but since he left Nicole Kidman, I can't. Which is a bit odd - I'm sure many of the actors I happily watch have had broken relationships.
I think with Brad Pitt, it seemed worse because they were married such a short time, and with Tom Crusie I had read somewhere that Nicole Kidman had miscarried around that time - don't know if that's true, but I think that's the factor that made me find him unwatchable.

(David Beckham, on the other hand, I can still like, because his wife forgave him. My subconscious makes no sense at all.)
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:
LOL - And I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Me too. Also, while I never loved Tom Crusie, I would have watched his films, but since he left Nicole Kidman, I can't. Which is a bit odd - I'm sure many of the actors I happily watch have had broken relationships.
I think with Brad Pitt, it seemed worse because they were married such a short time, and with Tom Crusie I had read somewhere that Nicole Kidman had miscarried around that time - don't know if that's true, but I think that's the factor that made me find him unwatchable.

(David Beckham, on the other hand, I can still like, because his wife forgave him. My subconscious makes no sense at all.)

Again I have to chuckle 'cause I'm like that with Tom Cruise too!! I refused to pay a dime to see any of his movies after he left Nicole. And as far as David Beckham goes - good thing he's not an actor and whatever soccer team he plays for will never make it to my neck of the woods so I don't have to make that call *g*. But since he and Victoria *shudder* are still together, it doesn't seem quite so bad does it?
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:

Well, there's that, but maybe their marriage was in trouble anyway. Honestly, I think Hollywood marriages have a whole set of other rules. Sure, there are some who go for the long haul, and seem happy. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward for one, but I think for the most part these couples tire of one another and go for the next person who comes along when that happens. I'm not bothered by it...not really. I'll probably see the movie eventually because to me, it's about the acting.
As for Tom Cruise, I don't care for him anymore, but not because he divorced his wife, but because he seems so weird now with his couch jumping and many of his ideas that he pushed on so many during interviews. Divorce whoever you want, but when you start acting crazy...that's another thing.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
but maybe their marriage was in trouble anyway. Honestly, I think Hollywood marriages have a whole set of other rules.

I agree w/you on that, xina. I'm sure their marriage was rocky, it had to be if he was so easily swayed. I don't know, though, I just can't shake my distaste. Maybe b/c it was Angelina and she was so quirky and bizarre those early years. Not to mention her comments about being w/married men, which was a bunch of bs. I think maybe I'm just a grudge holder against hypocrites. I still think Eddie Fisher was a dirtbag and that all happened before I was even born! I'm gonna try to work on this in the new year. :wink:

xina wrote:
Divorce whoever you want, but when you start acting crazy...that's another thing.
And amen to that whole crazy thing! I swear whenever I see Tom Cruise now all I think about are all those over-the-top crazy villians from romance novels, ya know the ones we always complain are unrealistic? Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
xina wrote:
but maybe their marriage was in trouble anyway. Honestly, I think Hollywood marriages have a whole set of other rules.

I agree w/you on that, xina. I'm sure their marriage was rocky, it had to be if he was so easily swayed. I don't know, though, I just can't shake my distaste. Maybe b/c it was Angelina and she was so quirky and bizarre those early years. Not to mention her comments about being w/married men, which was a bunch of bs. I think maybe I'm just a grudge holder against hypocrites. I still think Eddie Fisher was a dirtbag and that all happened before I was even born! I'm gonna try to work on this in the new year. :wink:

xina wrote:
Divorce whoever you want, but when you start acting crazy...that's another thing.
And amen to that whole crazy thing! I swear whenever I see Tom Cruise now all I think about are all those over-the-top crazy villians from romance novels, ya know the ones we always complain are unrealistic? Very Happy

I became an Angelina Jolie fan when I watch Girl Interrupted. I thought her acting was powerful in that movie. I think she has potential to turn out some good acting, so I am withholding my opinion of her until she totally screws up in a movie.
As for Tom Cruise, I am kind of over him in a big way. My husband wants to see Valkyrie. I may see it. I think it's a step for him...outside of the sex symbol that he isn't anymore.
JulieR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I swear whenever I see Tom Cruise now all I think about are all those over-the-top crazy villians from romance novels, ya know the ones we always complain are unrealistic? Very Happy

Before Tom Cruise converted to only "hero" roles, he played something of a crazy type in the 1981 movie Taps. Not really a villain, but IIRC, Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn were the more stable, normal ones, who just wanted to do the right thing, while Tom's character was kind of unstable.
utoeid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Dont Agree With the Brad/Jen/Angie Thingie Reply with quote

I have always loved Brad, Jennifer and Angelina separately for their work. Entertaining at at times fun.

However, I think Jen is a head case when it comes to relationships. I think she pulled a bait and switch with Brad that helped to sour him on their marriage. I remember when friends was over both of them stood up at a party for the show and the interviewer asked her what was next for her and she said "babies". She mentioned having a few projects in the works but that they were going to focus on "babies". She changed her mind and a few projects (as it turned out) became 3 years of movies and guest appearances on shows. Also the feelings she had over her parent's separation and ultimate divorce when she was a child made her worry about whether she could do family. These are her words.

I think Brad was clear that he wanted them to have a family and could not deal with her waffling back and forth so he moved on.

Now he's not blameless because his heart checked out early to get together with Angie but I think primarily Jennifer is responsible for where she is now in her life. And dating another head case like John Mayer ain't raising her up in my estimation any.

As for Cruise. Talented but a major big mouth. Won't see Valkyrie but would see other stuff of his if he gets his career back on track making stuff folks want to see for escapisim value
pmr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Don't know of I can see the movie Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of you regarding Brad Pitt. I have always liked him until he left Jen for Angelina. I don't like Angelina Jolie because I think she is a weird and very selfish person. She is beautiful, but I think she is a head case herself. Look at her background and men she has been involved with. I just don't respect her, especially since she admitted to falling in love on Mr. and Mrs. Smith set.
Also a personal thing that really bothers me about her is that she has adopted too many kids too fast. I have an adopted daughter from Russia and I was educated on how my husband and I needed to bond with her. Bonding takes time and you need to have a structured/stable home. There have been many books and professionals that have stated the importance of taking time to bond with children who come from instutional settings. I have always wondered why adopt and have natural children so fast. Its like they are in a hurry. If it were me, I'd spend at least a year with each adopted child before adopting again. Give the child a sense of security and more one on one time before having more. Just my opionion
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know of I can see the movie Reply with quote

pmr wrote:
Also a personal thing that really bothers me about her is that she has adopted too many kids too fast. I have an adopted daughter from Russia and I was educated on how my husband and I needed to bond with her. Bonding takes time and you need to have a structured/stable home. There have been many books and professionals that have stated the importance of taking time to bond with children who come from instutional settings. I have always wondered why adopt and have natural children so fast. Its like they are in a hurry. If it were me, I'd spend at least a year with each adopted child before adopting again. Give the child a sense of security and more one on one time before having more. Just my opionion

pmr: You bring up an interesting point about adopting and bonding with children. I have no kids whatsoever, but I'm thinking that Angelina and Brad have LOTS of help (nannies, chefs, housekeepers, etc.) with their kids so hopefully the kids bond with someone in their household.

But really, those kids aren't going to be normal in any way living the way they do -- different houses in different countries, lots of travel, and paparazzi everywhere they go. I feel sorry for them.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
LeeB. wrote:

And thank you, LeeB, for saying what I felt! I know I shouldn't care, and I tell myself that deep down I don't care, but it just really felt like he cheated. And then when Angelina made those comments this past year about how they fell in love on the set of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"? Well, that pretty much relegated my Brad Pitt viewing to TV showings. But, hey, I'm really looking forward to this showing up on TNT in 2011!

Color me naive, but I don't think they started their sexual relationship until after he split. Plus, I like him, and don't really like her (so that colors my opinion). Even it they did, he seems a lot happier now. (Paul Newman fell in love with his wife while still married)
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I think primarily Jennifer is responsible for where she is now in her life. And dating another head case like John Mayer ain't raising her up in my estimation any

Agree. He seems like such a player (of course I don't know him) but to publicly say that "HE was the one to break up with her" and then for her to take him back. . . .not the stuff of romance novels Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: