AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hugh Jackman to host Academy Awards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Hugh Jackman to host Academy Awards Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28195631/

Question Very Happy :!:

This is unexpected. But good luck to him!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow, that is a surprise! I agree, good luck to him.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a wonderful choice. He's quite popular in the USA, not sure about other countries. Also, he's People Magazines choice of Most Handsome Man Of The Year...or is it Sexiest Man Of The Year...whatever, I agree, he's very nice to look at.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend Hugh Jackman was a guest on a very popular variety show here in Germany to promote Australia. I didn't watch it (I would have watched for Jackman, but the show is three hours long and most of it are dull people and dull stunts I don't care about), but those who did were extremely taken by Jackman, since he was apparently very charming and funny. And he isn't even particularly popular over here, indeed I suspect that 80% to 90% of the main demographic of that show had no idea who he was.

Hence, I think he will do very well hosting the Oscars. Not just because he will be the first Oscar host eyecandy since forever (well, David Niven apparently hosted it in the 1970s and he was not bad), but also because he is charming and funny.

Plus, anyone would be better than Chris Rock or Ellen DeGeneres or John Stewart (whatever he did to gain the title "funniest man in America", he showed none of it at the Oscars) who did it in the past few years.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested what I'm talking about, the show's official website has a couple of clips including the Hugh Jackman interview (they usually dub those, though sometimes the host does on-the-fly translations) and Hugh Jackman, Tom Jones and Anastasia singing Jingle Bells.

http://wettendass.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/27/0,1872,1001627,00.html?dr=1
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, anyone would be better than Chris Rock or Ellen DeGeneres or John Stewart (whatever he did to gain the title "funniest man in America", he showed none of it at the Oscars) who did it in the past few years.[/quo

Hmmm...I beg to differ. Love John Stewart. I don't know if he is the funniest man in America, but to some people...he hits the mark (to those in the USA). I love Chris Rock and I think Ellen had her place. Ellen has a unique sense of comedic timing. I think Hugh Jackman may be just what the Oscars need right now. I'm quite sure the political speeches will be gone and he will be eye candy and a pleasant personality. Just what we need. I'll be watching.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Jon Stewart was quite funny. And Steve Martin was pretty funny too. I'm sure most people would prefer that Billy Crystal host again sometime soon.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
I thought Jon Stewart was quite funny. And Steve Martin was pretty funny too. I'm sure most people would prefer that Billy Crystal host again sometime soon.

Yes, Billy Crystal is my all-time favorite host.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
In case anyone is interested what I'm talking about, the show's official website has a couple of clips including the Hugh Jackman interview (they usually dub those, though sometimes the host does on-the-fly translations) and Hugh Jackman, Tom Jones and Anastasia singing Jingle Bells.

http://wettendass.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/27/0,1872,1001627,00.html?dr=1

If you scroll down that website and get to "Interview"-"sexiest man alive" you get a pretty nice picture of Hugh Jackman. The interview is not dubbed either. A real treat. He seems not only to be very handsome but also very nice too. Quite personable. And he can sing!

Kerstin
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Gottschalk did one of his on-the-fly translations? That's good, because that way the dubber doesn't talk over what the interviewee says.

Did you hear about the dust-up caused by Nicole Kidman playing a didgeridoo, because she lost her bet?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
Did you hear about the dust-up caused by Nicole Kidman playing a didgeridoo, because she lost her bet?

I heard about it and I agree with the insult felt by native Australians. There has been a history of taking artifacts belonging to the formerly colonized countries and deeming it a "toy" for anyone to play with, while ignoring the significance and value of the object to the people from which it was taken. Like many have said, considering the fact that a significant portion of Australia was devoted to the atrocities inflicted upon Aborigines by Euro-Australians, one would think Nicole would have known something about the culture. But I don't see this getting much publicity since she's a celebrity and most people won't see what the big deal is.

As for Jackman hosting the Oscars...zzzz. It doesn't matter who hosts the thing, the entire award is rigged and predictable--the same people get the Oscar-baiting roles, the same people get nominated, no one hardly sees these Oscar-winning movies until after the airing and studios release them on DVD, and the next year follows the same cycle.
Cora

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched Wetten Dass in so long now that I'm not even sure who decides what the guests have to do when they lose the bet. It used to be that the guests picked the task themselves (and the tasks used to be a lot more interesting than playing didgeridoo). But when I saw a bit of Wetten Dass a while ago, Gottschalk and/or the production team decided what a guest had to do when he or she lost the bet.

So it may well be that Thomas Gottschalk or the production team is responsible for making Nicole Kidman play didgeridoo rather than Kidman herself. She could have refused, of course, with an explanation why it was unsuitable, but maybe she didn't think of it or did not expect that something happening in a German TV show would even reach Australia.

Still, if it was Gottschalk or the production team, he should apologize on behalf of Kidman. I don't think a German TV show host can be expected to know that didgeridoos are a male-only instrument among the Australian Aborigines. I wouldn't have known it either and in fact I have seen women play the didgeridoo in Germany (they are sold in music shops and ethnic stores and were popular novelty instruments a while ago).
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
I haven't watched Wetten Dass in so long now that I'm not even sure who decides what the guests have to do when they lose the bet. It used to be that the guests picked the task themselves (and the tasks used to be a lot more interesting than playing didgeridoo). But when I saw a bit of Wetten Dass a while ago, Gottschalk and/or the production team decided what a guest had to do when he or she lost the bet.

So it may well be that Thomas Gottschalk or the production team is responsible for making Nicole Kidman play didgeridoo rather than Kidman herself. She could have refused, of course, with an explanation why it was unsuitable, but maybe she didn't think of it or did not expect that something happening in a German TV show would even reach Australia.

Still, if it was Gottschalk or the production team, he should apologize on behalf of Kidman. I don't think a German TV show host can be expected to know that didgeridoos are a male-only instrument among the Australian Aborigines. I wouldn't have known it either and in fact I have seen women play the didgeridoo in Germany (they are sold in music shops and ethnic stores and were popular novelty instruments a while ago).

I agree, Cora, I had not idea that it is a "sacrilege" for a woman to play the didgeridoo. I also must admit that I don't care at all. Reminds me to much of the misogyny of the Catholic church to really care about such a lousy rule.

Kerstin
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

I agree, Cora, I had not idea that it is a "sacrilege" for a woman to play the didgeridoo. I also must admit that I don't care at all. Reminds me to much of the misogyny of the Catholic church to really care about such a lousy rule.

Kerstin

Um...it may not necessarily be "misogynistic"--everything shouldn't be filtered through a 21st century Western mindset.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
[

As for Jackman hosting the Oscars...zzzz. It doesn't matter who hosts the thing, the entire award is rigged and predictable--the same people get the Oscar-baiting roles, the same people get nominated, no one hardly sees these Oscar-winning movies until after the airing and studios release them on DVD, and the next year follows the same cycle.

I never watch the entire thing. Way too boring and too long. I am hoping Heath Ledger will win best supporting actor. Amazing performance, but....I highly doubt it will happen. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: