AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50 Sexiest Movies According to Entertainment Weekly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: 50 Sexiest Movies According to Entertainment Weekly Reply with quote

The following was buried (by me Wink ) in a thread on the Potpourri board, so I thought I'd bring it to a more appropriate place, i.e, the General Chat/Entertainment Board.

Here it is.....

Have any of you seen this? Entertainment Weekly selected what they consider to be the top 50 sexiest movies. Some of their choices certainly leave me puzzled. Either the movie isn't really sexy -- like, "His Girl Friday" or "Once" -- or there may be one sexy scene in a very long, otherwise unsexy movie -- like "Titanic."

And what about "The Thomas Crowne Affair" or "The Big Easy?" Why aren't they on this list?

Well, see what you think should've been left off, come in at a different number or added and why? What people find sexy is definitely (and literally) in the eye of the beholder.

Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Sexiest Movies:
Quote:
1. Out of Sight
2. His Girl Friday
3. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)
4. Body Heat
5. Bull Durham
6. Don't Look Now
7. Y Tu Mama Tambien
8. The Last of the Mohicans
9. A Walk on the Moon
10. Before Sunset
11. Once
12. The Fabulous Baker Boys
13. Shakespeare in Love
14. The Year of Living Dangerously
15. Notorious
16. The Seven Year Itch
17. Mulholland Drive
18. Swimming Pool
19. The Notebook
20. Titanic
21. Basic Instinct
22. Mississippi Masala
23. The Age of Innocence
24. 9 1/2 Weeks
25. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
26. The English Patient
27. Unfaithful
28. Love & Basketball
29. Bound
30. Maurice
31. American Gigolo
32. Cruel Intentions
33. She's Gotta Have It
34. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
35. sex, lies and videotape
36. Ghost
37. In the Mood for Love
38. Secretary
39. The Talented Mr. Ripley
40. The Last Seduction
41. The Bodyguard
42. Little Children
43. Dirty Dancing Sexy?
44. King Kong (1933)
45. The Bridges of Madison County
46. Like Water for Chocolate
47. Kissing Jessica Stein
48. How Stella Got Her Groove Back
49. Yossi & Jagger
50. 300
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Body Heat should have been #1. I did really enjoy Out of Sight -- Jennifer Lopez's best performance EVER! I'm not a fan of hers at all, but she was really good in that movie.

I don't think Ghost or King Kong were particularly sexy; those definitely shouldn't be on the list.
Karaa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But where is THE AFRICAN QUEEN -- The greatest adventure a man ever lived...with a woman!

There's the old maid missionary (Katherine Hepburn), there's the my-way-or-the-highway riverboat captain (Humphrey Bogart), there's the boat, the sweaty heat, the river, the jungle, the clothes that once were clean, crisp and, um, unruffled. Laughing Lots of romantic rollercoaster road/cabin adventure. If that isn't the godmother of all sexy romance movies out there (Indiana Joneses, Romancing the Stone...), I don't know what is.

Along the same lines: MOGAMBO (Flaming love found in the savage heart of the jungle! The battle of the sexes! The battle of the gorillas!) and HATARI!

Then there's THE BIG SLEEP: The type of man she hated . . . was the type she wanted! Because, lots of explicit sex =/= sexy movie, whereas lots of excellent smart banter and double entendres = sexy movie.

Overall, I think this is where the oldies excel: The "it" is in the dialogue, subtext, gestures, glances, colors, textures, weather, smells, sounds... and yes, fireworks (TO CATCH A THIEF -- For a moment he forgets he's a thief--and she forgets she's a lady!), not in the amount of bare skin & explicit sex scenes, IMO.

Basically anything with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart.

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT
    KEY LARGO
    HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON -- A Marine and a Nun, both shipwrecked on a Pacific Island, find solace in one another as the two wait out the war. -- Need I say more?
    BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
    SABRINA
    DUEL IN THE SUN
    THE OUTLAW
    THE MISFITS

More recent that I think should be on the list:

INDOCHINE (with Catherine Deneuve and Vinzent Perez)
    I DREAMED OF AFRICA
    THE PIANO
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS/VALMONT (not "Cruel Intentions"! -- How's that movie "sexy" at all?)
    DAYS OF HEAVEN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: