AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twilight Movie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Twilight Movie Reply with quote

So, did anyone else go out and see this one? I gave it a low review on Amazon but would welcome being argued out of my position Wink

My main points of contention:

Visuals: Jasper's was "creeptacular", someone went that little bit too crazy with the baby powder on Carlisle's face, Jessica, Angela, Tyler all looked off, Jacob was great but the cheap wig was foolish and should have been replaced or removed after the first day of filming, the all important diamond effect was poorly done.

Script: Bella's !!! character was altered. Unnecessary scenes added in (like the diner sequences) while many needed sequences (Bella spent almost no time in the kitchen) were deleted.

Acting: Much can be forgiven but not Kristen Stewart. She looked like she was suffering from stomach cramps through out the film and displayed many traits (hugging herself, etc.) that did not show up till "New Moon" throughout. She couldn't have been farther from Bella if that had been her specific goal.

maggie b.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell me this! I have been looking forwards to this movie!
Oh well. Tell me, do you think Pattinsen did a good job with Edward? I always though it would be a difficult role to play as Edward was so 'perfect' and so hugely realized in a lot of people's minds.
marifel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a Twilight fan who doesn't love-love the series like everyone else does. I have issues with the entire series to begin with, so my point of view is a little skewed! I was quick to think that the movie would be a cheesy piece that should never have made it to the big screen and we'd all be embarrassed come the Monday after opening!

For me the film was more than I expected it would be. I was pleasantly surprised that there were a few minor adjustments -Bella not being as whiny as in the novel, the dialog placement, plot additions/changes etc.- that did made it a film that I enjoyed. My complaints had more to do with budget and script.

Quote:
Visuals: Jasper's was "creeptacular", someone went that little bit too crazy with the baby powder on Carlisle's face, Jessica, Angela, Tyler all looked off, Jacob was great but the cheap wig was foolish and should have been replaced or removed after the first day of filming, the all important diamond effect was poorly done.

OK~I agree that Jasper had the creep factor in full swing, but I think that had more to do with script and character development. Unfortunately, only those who read the novels would know in depth of Jasper's conflict. I had to tell my husband, someone with absolutely no knowledge of the Twilight universe, why Jasper had the permanent deer-in-the-headlights look going on, that it was probably because of that conflict! They just didn't have time to go into the character development for the Cullens.

I also agree about Carlisle's makeup. The fact that the makeup artist didn't get that powder under the collar REALLY chaps my hide. Did they not think that the closeups would show the skin on his neck NOT matching his face? Really, though, my issue was with all the hair, not just Taylor Lautner's wig! Come ON, PLEASE get Esme and Rosalie nicer wigs!

I truly feel that with a bigger budget, things like makeup, casting, and special effects would have been up to par. We would have had "Dazzling Edward" the way he was meant to be in every fan's dreams!

Kristen Stewart was fine as Bella. It wasn't spectacular acting, but I don't know how else it could have been played. I think I was just happy that she didn't come off as the whiny teenager in the novel. Bella's not my favorite character anyway. *ducks from punches being thrown by die-hard Twilighters*

Rob Pattinson did a fabulous job. He is Edward in my mind.

Fix the budget -probably not going to be a problem as this movie is going to blow the box office #s off the charts.
Fix the script - I liked the overall tone, but character and plot development could have been pumped up.
Get better effects!

As an a-typical fan, I'll be seeing it again.

Marifel
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will contain some spoilers!!

I just realized how long my post was, sorry - just saw it last night and had lots of thoughts running through my head.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e

My daughter and I went to see it this weekend, we enjoyed it! Of course the book is a hundred thousands times better than the movie so there were times I was disappointed but there was a lot they did well too.

The downside -

Totally agree on Jasper's character, did he even get a spoken line? I always pictured him as handsome in the books and he looked like a deranged nutcase in the film. However, I will give credit for getting a few laughs out of it. :-D

Carlisle's make-up WAS awful. Not has handsome as Carlisle in the books either.

Jason - can't see this actor as Jason at all, his face s too round or something. Minor pick there I suppose. :)

Not really negative but mixed -

Kristen as Bella - I'm mixed. I absolutely love Bella in the books and do not find her whiny or annoying at all. It's just that when Kristen spoke the lines it wasn't how I had pictured Bella speaking in my head. Just not her at all. This however ALWAYS happens to me when I go see a movie having read the book first. I will say though that I think KS did well with trying to show outwardly with subtle gestures some of Bella's inner struggle.

The positive! -

Rob Pattinson (hope I spelled his last name right) as Edward, he did a fantastic job!! When I first saw the actor my first thought was...Oh NO!!! And then I saw him in interviews with his goofy look and his English accent and wondered how on earth he would pull it off. Well my hats off to him because he did a great job. Not as beautiful as I had pictured Edward in my mind but they did a lovely job of his make-up and showing close up angles of his face, in those moments I could believe he was a very handsome vampire. I also thought he acted the part very well, I started to feel a little of Edward while watching so that was a nice treat. :)

I loved that they had bits of humor in there even if some of them were created entirely outside of the novel. The Cullen's fixing Bella dinner...Is she even Italian? ....Her name is BELLA! LOL And Rosalie crunching the salad bowl when she was told Bella already ate.

Also loved the touch of humor with Rosalie's character, when Bella called her 'out' ..the look she gave her. lmao! Of course, this also did not happen in the book but hey I'll take it for the movie.

LOVED the baseball scene! That was fun.

LOVED the scene where Edward had Bella in his room and then took off with her up into the trees. Visually stunning.

James - whoa, what a hottie that bad guy was. *swoon!* Thought the actors that played James, Laurent and Victoria did very well.

Liked Bella's friends in the movie, found them less annoying than in the books.

Enjoyed the actor that played Bella's father in the movie and their scenes together were well done.

My only fear is that people will see the movie and think this is what Twilight was..and the books were all about and not try them at all. When my gosh there is just so much more to them than that. You miss so very much of what is special in the books trying to reduce it to a few lines in the film. I fear the same thing will happen to Outlander which looks like it may be on it's way to film, we'll see.

My daughter who is 15 came away absolutely thrilled with the movie and wants to see it again. She feels that it wasn't nearly as good as the books but for what it was she enjoyed it very much. She declared the movie Edward as a 'dorky sexy Edward' and got a big kick out of that. She too enjoyed the humor in the movie and giggled out loud several times.

I hear they are working on the sequel and hope they will go through with it. I wonder what I would have thought of the movie not having read the books? I wish I could watch it again and somehow not compare every line and gesture to what I'd read.
And YES, I'd love to see it again!

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
Don't tell me this! I have been looking forwards to this movie!
Oh well. Tell me, do you think Pattinsen did a good job with Edward? I always though it would be a difficult role to play as Edward was so 'perfect' and so hugely realized in a lot of people's minds.

Skrabs, he's certainly not as beautiful as Edward but he does pretty good. I liked him best of all. :)

Linda
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marifel wrote:

OK~I agree that Jasper had the creep factor in full swing, but I think that had more to do with script and character development. Unfortunately, only those who read the novels would know in depth of Jasper's conflict. I had to tell my husband, someone with absolutely no knowledge of the Twilight universe, why Jasper had the permanent deer-in-the-headlights look going on, that it was probably because of that conflict! They just didn't have time to go into the character development for the Cullens.

I had always pictured Jasper more like the James of the film -- he would be a rock hard warrior with that dangerous edge that always made you wonder if he was sizing you up for a meal Laughing The movie Jasper struck me as scary not in a he might hurt me kind of way but in a my god he's probably crazy kind of way.

marifel wrote:
Rob Pattinson did a fabulous job. He is Edward in my mind.

Yes, I thought Rob was as close to Edward as a person can get. I will always picture him when I read the books now.

marifel wrote:
Kristen Stewart was fine as Bella. It wasn't spectacular acting, but I don't know how else it could have been played. I think I was just happy that she didn't come off as the whiny teenager in the novel. Bella's not my favorite character anyway. *ducks from punches being thrown by die-hard Twilighters*

No punches but I definitely don't see Bella as you do. I have the (mis)fortune to work with teens/young adults on a regular basis and I thought Kristen Stewart captured perfectly the essence of bratty teen. A perfect example (for me) was the prom dress scene when KS couldn't even pretend to be interested in the other girls dress hunting process. In the book, Bella was the one fetching shoes and jewelry, putting away discards and generally acting like a good friend. In the books, Bella had taken over the household accounting for Renee -- making sure the bills were paid,etc. When she came to Charlie's she took over the cooking and cleaning right away. Edward has always seen Bella as very self-sacrificing and I have always accepted his word for it. Wink I really missed that aspect of her character in the movie. I never saw Stewart clean or cook once and I didn't think the diner scenes added a bit to the movie. (I did like Charlie though. I loved the pepper spray references and the scene with the gun!)

I thought Emmett was perfect. Really, it seemed like the actor had stepped directly out of the book and on to the screen. I liked Alice too -- a bit too tall but I could live with that.

I also thought it was weird how Renee came across as such a mom. She just wasn't that in the books -- in all five books (if one counts "Midnight Sun" which I do Wink Renee was kind but not parental.

marifel wrote:
Fix the budget -probably not going to be a problem as this movie is going to blow the box office #s off the charts.
Fix the script - I liked the overall tone, but character and plot development could have been pumped up.
Get better effects!

I hope that is the case! I still liked the film but I have seen movie adaptations that are done inexpensively but well, such as "Holes". This one was good but not great.

maggie b.
Jane G

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marifel-- Regarding Esme and Rosalie's wigs... I don't know about Esme, but I know Rosalie's hair was real. I read an interview with Nikki Reed that said that she spent about 2 days in the chair getting her hair dyed, since she's naturally a brunette (she's much prettier in reality than she is as Rosalie, in my opinion).

I haven't seen the movie yet (I will this weekend), but I'm pretty excited. I guess the budget is much bigger, which will be nice special-effects-wise. Also, Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are reportedly getting $12 million EACH for New Moon, plus revenue from box office sales.

That combined $24 million is about 2/3 of the budget from Twilight.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I had always pictured Jasper more like the James of the film -- he would be a rock hard warrior with that dangerous edge that always made you wonder if he was sizing you up for a meal Laughing The movie Jasper struck me as scary not in a he might hurt me kind of way but in a my god he's probably crazy kind of way.

Maggie, I am so with you there! I think what they did to Jasper is really the most tragic goof in the film. I don't even think he got a spoken line either. But I have to admit, it was funny and that little comment from Alice 'Don't worry, you wont kill her.' gave me a good chuckle. Very Happy

Linda
roseisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: SPOILERS Reply with quote

My thoughts - Saw the movie opening night. I missed Bella in the kitchen and I wish they had kept Jacob's first meeting with Bella on the beach - not the delivery of the truck. Jasper was under used, but as explained he was the newest member of the family and struggling with becoming a vegetarian.

Then, I wondered how hard it must have been to adapt a 458 page novel into 2 hours, so with that thought in mind I thought the movie overall a good adaption. Took my oldest son to see it with me and he having not read the book, enjoyed the movie on it's own. He also enjoyed Charlie and thought as a father Charlie was cool with some of the best lines in the movie. Now he plans to read the series Smile For myself, I will be buying the DVD when it becomes available Cool
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I just saw this. Some random thoughts:

1) My favourite part is when she meets his family and sees his house. Those graduation caps were awesome! Laughing

2) I thought the scene in the mountain, reproduced almost faithfully from the book, was actually quite embarrassing. Bad, melodramatic dialogue and all; but I can understand why the filmmakers had to put it in the way it was.

3) I love Kristen Stewart as Bella! In fact, she redeemed the character for me. I agree that she could have been more of a caretaker in the movie, as she was in the book.

4) If I could go back to high school, I'd want to do it in Forks. Wink

Of course, I have other thoughts, but I'll have to add them later.
Cyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. Well, I liked a lot of it Wink Some parts did make me cringe or want to laugh (Jasper's expression), but I could live with it.

I know lots of people liked James, but he didn't really do anything for me.

My 17 yr old cousin has already seen it twice, and plans to see it again - probaly more than twice :lol:

I could watch it again.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter and I went to see Twilight again this weekend and this time we made a family day out of it and took the hubby and my 13 year old son. The guys declared it 'good', 'a little slow at times' but not bad either and I'll take that, lol. :)

I enjoyed the movie even more this next time around. I completely set the book out of my mind and just watched the movie to enjoy on it's own merit. The first time around I couldn't help but compare it in every way and feel disappointment here and there as I found things that were different. Now that I had gotten that over with I was able to completely set the book out of my mind and just sit back and enjoy the story as if it were a first discovery.

I think the sequel will be even better with a bigger budget (hopefully) and some of the little kinks worked out. In any case, no matter that we've seen Twilight twice now, I'll be picking it up on DVD as well as soon as it's available!

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
My only fear is that people will see the movie and think this is what Twilight was..and the books were all about and not try them at all. When my gosh there is just so much more to them than that. You miss so very much of what is special in the books trying to reduce it to a few lines in the film. I fear the same thing will happen to Outlander which looks like it may be on it's way to film, we'll see.

Regarding Outlander...and Twilight... Now, I'm not suggesting Pattinson for Jamie, especially not now that he's been branded as Edward, but there was one scene in particular in which I thought that with makeup (wig, contacts), Pattinson could possibly pull off Jamie in the face. Not exactly. He's not pretty enough (in my mind) for Jamie and doesn't have Jamie's physicality. But he's got those "slanted" eyes...or at least he did in the one scene I'm thinking of. Also, I thought Victoria could be a passable Bree, but that was probably only because she has long red hair. Ha! I'm so easy. (And weirdly enough, I turned on TNT this morning -- I leave it on for my dog every day -- and there was an episode of Charmed with the actress who plays Victoria guest-starring!)

Regarding the movie of Twilight, I liked it. I'd give it a B rating. If I hadn't read and enjoyed the book, though, I might only give it a C rating. It was way too angsty. In the book, all that angst is diluted somewhat by the more mundane aspects of Bella's school- and home-life. But as those aspects were mostly missing from the movie, it was aaaaaaangsty!

The acting was okay. It didn't blow me away, but it wasn't a Sci-Fi-Channel-movie bad, either. They need to work on the vampire special effects.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Regarding Outlander...and Twilight... Now, I'm not suggesting Pattinson for Jamie, especially not now that he's been branded as Edward, but there was one scene in particular in which I thought that with makeup (wig, contacts), Pattinson could possibly pull off Jamie in the face. Not exactly. He's not pretty enough (in my mind) for Jamie and doesn't have Jamie's physicality. But he's got those "slanted" eyes...or at least he did in the one scene I'm thinking of. Also, I thought Victoria could be a passable Bree, but that was probably only because she has long red hair. Ha! I'm so easy. (And weirdly enough, I turned on TNT this morning -- I leave it on for my dog every day -- and there was an episode of Charmed with the actress who plays Victoria guest-starring!)

Regarding the movie of Twilight, I liked it. I'd give it a B rating. If I hadn't read and enjoyed the book, though, I might only give it a C rating. It was way too angsty. In the book, all that angst is diluted somewhat by the more mundane aspects of Bella's school- and home-life. But as those aspects were mostly missing from the movie, it was aaaaaaangsty!

The acting was okay. It didn't blow me away, but it wasn't a Sci-Fi-Channel-movie bad, either. They need to work on the vampire special effects.

Yes, I can totally see Victoria as Bree! Loved this actress in Twilight by the way, I thought she played her part very well.

I think a B is a good grade for the movie, I agree with that. I might even rate it a B+ if I hadn't read the book though, I think comparing the book to the movie is what kind of hurt it slightly for me the first time.

Hmmm, Rob Pattinson as Jamie, I have a hard time picturing it because he's so young but yeah some of those close up shots of his eyes were beautiful. :)

Linda
Skrabs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I hate about living in Australia is having to wait nearly a month to see what everyone else is talking about! Argh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: