AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If we skip sex scenes, do romances need sex?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allyson wrote:
but it seems like so many sex scenes I've written lately *have* to show that the hero is *the best lover ever* and the heroine absolutely adores everything that he does. It is a little boring to be honest--I like books where the characters have sexual 'quirks'..things they like and don't like. I remember being really impressed by a Lydia Joyce book where the heroine found that her breasts weren't especially sensitive, so the hero had to realise this and find other things to do.

So for me, a well-integrated sex scene can absolutely elevate a book, but I don't *demand* it because, well, I'd have very little to choose from.

That's funny. I had noticed that, but not put it into words. You're very right. There does seem to be a need to have sex ben "the best ever" every time and that's a little exhausting. I wrote half a novel (I'll changed continents and haven't gotten back to it) where the H/h have sex on their first meeting and it's awful. That's the core of their conflict.

Gee, I might have to open that one up again.
Kaia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allyson wrote:
Quote:
My favourite scenes are those where the love scene manages to illustrate some aspect of character. Imperfect love scenes are *great* but it seems like authors, especially now, are reluctant to write those. It's really too bad, because I think they can be amazing illustrations of character development. I can remember a couple of Mary Balogh books where the heroine didn't find sex satisfying at first, and as her relationship with her new husband developed she found it more and more so.

but it seems like so many sex scenes I've written lately *have* to show that the hero is *the best lover ever* and the heroine absolutely adores everything that he does. It is a little boring to be honest--I like books where the characters have sexual 'quirks'..things they like and don't like. I remember being really impressed by a Lydia Joyce book where the heroine found that her breasts weren't especially sensitive, so the hero had to realise this and find other things to do.

That's what I really liked about To Seduce a Sinner. Their first scene together was a dud, and it made the whole "marriage of convenience between strangers" thing a lot more believable IMO. I think that's why I have completely shifted away from reading (much less enjoying) that whole "I hate you/I love you and we just had the best sex ever" plot. It has just gotten so trite and fake for me. However, when it comes down to it, the hero needs to be a great lover (otherwise why root for an HEA?) I do like the idea of writers making us (as readers) wait/anticipate a growth in the relationship. Anticipation, after all is a main ingredient to great sex. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: