AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-reading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
I'm currently only rereading old books. It's surprising which novels I found only average during the first try that I consider comfort reads today!

I tend to listen over and over to CDs while driving of some of my favorite Nora Roberts and SEP books. Right now, I'm listening to Match Me If You Can by SEP.

However, one of the books that I pull out at least once a year to reread is a surprise to me. I enjoyed it on the first read, probably would have given it a B+ or an A- if I'd been a reviewer, but never expected to keep reading it. The book is Sally Tyler Haye's category romance Magic in a Jelly Jar. I believe it's a 2000 release. There's just something about it that's very comforting to me.
KathieO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's surprising how many of the same books are the re-reads/comfort reads for so many of us (great minds think alike!). I have very seldom re-read any book, because I suffer from the huge TBR and always eager to find a new experience in an author/book I haven't read. The few I have re-read were mostly done during my "re-emergence" into romance reading from a decade hiatus. I wanted to see if they still held the same draw. Those being, Woodiwiss' The Wolf and the Dove (still loved, but maybe saw more of the plot flaws this time around); Lindsey's Gentle Rogue (still giggled most of the way through); Deveraux's Knight in Shining Armor (the writing seemed less substantial, but I still like the end-twist); and McNaught's Whitney My Love (that one suffered what I call "The Windflower" syndrome (I didn't read that until I was older and frankly found it kind of juvenile, but seemed many of those it was a favorite for had originally read it when they were quite young (and more than likely found a place in their hearts); found WML's Clayton too daddy-like (and disciplinarian to Whitney) now and Whitney way too immature! My aging didn't hold up well with the book content.)

Have recently re-read (not from my younger years of romance reading, but read in the last few years) Quinn's The Duke and I, and Viscount, and still really enjoyed them (probably more). Now I'm upset with myself that I don't have the next in the series because I loaned it to my sis-in-law until Thanksgiving when I see the family in TX. Rats! Instead I've pulled back out Garwood's Honor's Splendor and am excited to re-read it instead! Thinking I also want to re-read McNaught's Paradise.
WandaSue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
WandaSue wrote:
I am currently re-reading "The Bronze Horseman."

Ah ... Alexander - ! He is at the top of my list of gorgeous, tormented, flawed, and yet truly heroic heroes.

This second reading of this very long book is opening my eyes to details and themes that I hadn't caught the first time around. It makes for a very rich reading experience...

Oh, me too! I'm not rereading this book right now, but I have read it at least 3 times...and I am not a big rereader (too many non read books in my extensive pile(s)) But you mentioned exactly why I have enjoyed it so much...the story is rich and full of life. Love Alexander too from the moment he spots her on the bench eating ice cream in her most-loved dress. I have, in fact, read the whole series several times. I just think this couple is very real to me.

I'm now reading the second book in the trilogy, "Tatiana and Alexander" -- which will be my first complete reading of it. And I am so completely involved in their lives. I don't know of any other couple in fiction -- romance or otherwise -- that has come as alive to me as Tatiana Metanova and Alexander Barrington/Belov. They breathe.

I understand the third book -- The Summer Garden -- is the most emotional of them all. After all the tears I shed in "The Bronze Horseman," I don't know if I'll be able to take it ... !
Kaia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, well until I discovered AAR (YAY!!) I re-read everything. This was mostly because I didn't want to risk reading a bad book. Most of the books I own I have re-read at least once. Some of my favorite authors I like because I like to comfort re-read them (Lisa Kleypas, Liz Carlyle, Suzanne Brockmann, Christina Dodd, Linda Howard). I have probably read Outlander at least 10 times; the last time I re-read it the book died Crying or Very sad Going to have to buy a new copy soon...

OTOH, some authors I really don't like to re-read, but still like as authors. My perfect example of this is Judith McNaught. I think she writes really well, and her books are always poignant, but I never really re-read them b/c they are such an emotional investment. (well, and the Big Mis, Long Sep, TSTL heroine, arrogant alpha, etc.)

I will usually re-read if a new book in a series comes out, or if I start a series in the middle I like to read all the books in order to pick up on things I missed the first time around.

Since discovering AAR I have not re-read a single book!!! And it feels great. I think I was at the point of burning out my faves, and that would have been really sad. Besides, my TBR pile is full of new (to me) authors. Very Happy
Mingqi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaia wrote:

OTOH, some authors I really don't like to re-read, but still like as authors. My perfect example of this is Judith McNaught. I think she writes really well, and her books are always poignant, but I never really re-read them b/c they are such an emotional investment. (well, and the Big Mis, Long Sep, TSTL heroine, arrogant alpha, etc.)

totally agree with you there! When I really like a book and don't reread it- sometimes I question myself on whether I really do like the book/author. But really, it's just that it's too much of emotional rollercoaster ride the first time- that once was enough. This sort of how I feel about Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My re-reads include:

Lisa Kleypas Devil in Winter and Dreaming of You
McNaught's Paradise and A Kingdom of Dreams.
Garwood's historical's: The Wedding, The Gift, Ransom, and Secret
Julia Quinn: Bridgerton series.

Very Happy
Gwen G

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word that keeps coming up for everyone in terms of rereading our favorites is "Comforting". Thats the feeling they do inspire and it is one of the few good addictions, I think. Have you ever had family members say to you - "My God , why are you reading that book again? What about all these new ones waiting for you?"

There are certain series and authors who almost have a hypnotic effect - if I pick up one of their books I'm certain to fall under their spell and begin reading a long, beloved series, once again.

This happens with Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series, Madeline Hunter's medievals ( they are SO good), Lisa Kleypas' Victorian series, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Liz Carlyle, Laura Kinsale, Mary Balogh and many others.

This happens to me with the mystery/suspense writer James Lee Burke. He has two series - one set in Louisiana, the other in Montana. If I pick up any one book - I am in serious danger of falling into the comfort and excitement of a long but stellar series of books I can't put down. I recently picked up "In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead" , part of his Dave Robicheaux detective series and I either have to consciously stop myself from reading all my favorites in both series or just give in to the good feelings they inspire. I never become bored with his writing - its quite miraculous. We all have our favorite writers who make us feel like we've come back home each time we pick up their books. Its a wonderful thing!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through a re-reading stage right now because currently I have no books in my tbr pile and none I am looking forward to until the end of Dec. So I'm enjoying a revisit with some old favorites.

I've reread Twilight, I absolutely love this book still and it's my 3rd reread. Don't know if I can do the heartache of the break-up in the next one just yet through.

I've also reread Fallen From Grace and loved this one just as much next time around as well. Throw in some Dara Joy to the mix and it's been a fun few weeks of rereads. I miss Dara Joy's silly humor.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: