AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sharing the same name as the heroine/hero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my name is pretty unique so this is never really a problem for me. Just finished reading "Shadow and the Star" (for the first time! where have I been?!?) and the secondary character Kai, and Samuel's company Kaiea kind of threw me for a loop, not really in a bad way though. Just different.
But I read one of Janelle Denison's books (very steamy) with my Dad's name (Joel, pretty uncommon) and I could barely finish it. It just felt wrong. Which is why I'm also pretty amazed about that Judith McNaught thing with her children's names.
Mingqi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda wrote:
HeatherB wrote:
Jaq wrote:
Quote:
In the last couple of years I've seen two different paranormal romances that have heroes with the same first name as my son. At first I thought, hey cool! But considering these ladies write very(!) hot/erotic lovescenes, I had to take a pass on reading those books.

Just don't want those images actively dancing in my head in connection with my 20yr old. I think if his name was more common I wouldn't have this problem, tho. oh well.

My boys are young, but I think I would have to agree with this sentiment. It's always bothered me a little that Judith McNaught used her children's names as the main characters in Whitney, My Love. I don't know if I could do that. Confused

Ick! Her children's names were Whitney and Clayton? That's just wrong!

I wonder how old her kids are now and if they are aware of the book! I had just come across another book with my old-fashioned name in it (I'll admit it here, my real name's Louisa). I had just picked it up cuz of the nice cover and was surprised to see my name in another romance!
However...the hero shares the same name as my brother (Henry). Good thing the hero is referred to by his title Lord Blakesly and by his nickname and never 'Henry'.

Great thing about historicals are the titles! I remember reading a novel with my friend's ex-bf's name in it (and thought he was sort of a jerk and unattractive). But the novel referred to the hero by his title almost throughout the book, so I was saved!
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaia wrote:
Well my name is pretty unique so this is never really a problem for me. Just finished reading "Shadow and the Star" (for the first time! where have I been?!?) and the secondary character Kai, and Samuel's company Kaiea kind of threw me for a loop, not really in a bad way though. Just different.

In that case, Kaia, you'll never believe this, but . . . we have the same name! Very Happy

Well, Kaia is actually just my nickname. (My real name is Cristina.) It's pretty rare, though, as you've said, and when I saw that someone named Kaia had joined the boards, I got really, really paranoid. Laughing I thought someone at work was stalking me! Laughing
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Nana's name Reply with quote

To those who wondered why I needed permisson to use Nna Massie's name:

I did it out of courtesy. If Nana had preferred I not use her name, I wouldn't have. Some people might be shy or distressed about having their name show up in a book, and I didn't want to offend or blindside her.

Carla
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Nana's name Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
I did it out of courtesy. If Nana had preferred I not use her name, I wouldn't have. Some people might be shy or distressed about having their name show up in a book, and I didn't want to offend or blindside her.

That certainly does sound courteous, Carla. But it still seems strange because there are probably other "Nanas" out there whose permission you didn't seek and are all over the Internet too. This sounds almost like a Pandora's box. I could see asking a personal friend of yours if using her/his name would offend, but it seems a little off-the-wall when the Internet is involved with all its public postings. Sorry--this question was asked only to satisfy my curiosity. Thank you for responding.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances of me finding my name as a character or the spelling being right are zero! I remember as a kid asking my mom and dad if I could change the spelling of my name because all the cheri's I know spell it with an S. of course the answer was no. I had to grow up and move to an extremely small town to find 3 women that I actually work with and live in my town that have the same name and spelling! HOW BIZARRE is that! but no characters in books. And I've never encountered a book that has any family members name in it either which I'm thinking now is a little weird as they all have pretty normal names. cheri
P.S. great post Smile
xina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Chances of me finding my name as a character or the spelling being right are zero! I remember as a kid asking my mom and dad if I could change the spelling of my name because all the cheri's I know spell it with an S. of course the answer was no. I had to grow up and move to an extremely small town to find 3 women that I actually work with and live in my town that have the same name and spelling! HOW BIZARRE is that! but no characters in books. And I've never encountered a book that has any family members name in it either which I'm thinking now is a little weird as they all have pretty normal names. cheri
P.S. great post Smile

cheri, I have a really good friend who spells her name...cherie. So, I kind of felt a connection with you (or your name) right away. She's a real sweetheart and you seem to be a lovely person as well. Love your name...and hers!
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
cheri wrote:
P.S. great post Smile

cheri, I have a really good friend who spells her name...cherie. So, I kind of felt a connection with you (or your name) right away. She's a real sweetheart and you seem to be a lovely person as well. Love your name...and hers!

aww shucks. thanks! Does she pronounce it in the french way like it's spelled? or like sherry? Supposively my Mom and Dad named me after the popular 50's Franky Vallie and the Four Season song "cheri baby". I honestly don't think it's even spelled that way for the song but love it anyway. I'm still refered to by relatives as cheri baby but most of my immediate family call me cher when they refer to me. My husband calls me cheri though. Again,cheri
Suzanna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nana's name Reply with quote

CD wrote:

Well, I'm Caroline, or Caro, so I'm only able to identify with desperate Other Women and/or snobs in romance books. Had to read Ashworth's "My Darling Caroline" just because but can't think of any other books with the actual heroine as a Caro or Caroline. It's becoming rather traumatising actually - maybe us Carolines are just not worthy of love [sniff sniff]...

I've come across quite a few Carolines, but I'd have to check for details. Off the top of my head, though - the heroines of Julia Quinn's "To catch an heiress" and Amanda Quick's "Wait until midnight" are both Carolines.
WandaSue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been aware of any heroines named "Wanda." It was rough growing up with my name. "Wanda the Witch" was all I ever heard. Toughened me up, though! Them was fightin' words!

My husband's name is Dennis. Much more common, but characters named Dennis are always -- for some reason I have never understood -- the "loser", the guy who flunks out, or wimps out, or shows an evil streak, or ... is just never the hero. Go figure.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww shucks. thanks! Does she pronounce it in the french way like it's spelled? or like sherry? Supposively my Mom and Dad named me after the popular 50's Franky Vallie and the Four Season song "cheri baby". I honestly don't think it's even spelled that way for the song but love it anyway. I'm still refered to by relatives as cheri baby but most of my immediate family call me cher when they refer to me. My husband calls me cheri though. Again,cheri[/quote]

cheri, She pronounces it "sherry", although when I first met her ( so many years ago...she was the mother of my son's best friend in grade school) I always imagined that her name was pronounced the french way.
Kaia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Kaia wrote:

In that case, Kaia, you'll never believe this, but . . . we have the same name! Very Happy

Well, Kaia is actually just my nickname. (My real name is Cristina.) It's pretty rare, though, as you've said, and when I saw that someone named Kaia had joined the boards, I got really, really paranoid. Laughing I thought someone at work was stalking me! Laughing

No Stalking! Just an AAR newbie! Smile
Schola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kaia:

Didn't one of the original "cast" members of Temptation Island have our name? Laughing
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Marquess of Kayne Reply with quote

The latest Laura Lee Guhrke book, Secret Desires of a Gentleman, has the Marquess of Kayne and Kayne is my given name and I'm female. Ms Guhrke was kind enough to e-mail me back about the name Kayne and where she found it which I appreciated very much. I shared where my mother had found my name (celtic saint, something about a well). I have always seen Kayne or Kane as a guy's name and honestly, its been a pain and I go by Kay alot. I liked Ms Guhrke's book very much so that was a bonus. I do see there is an author with the last name of Kayne but I haven't read any of her books yet.
lizabeth24seven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my name is Betty my dad always called me Lizabeth
hence my nickname but my husband is called by his middle name which is Michael have a hard time when the hero has the same name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: