AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charlaine Harris's sookie series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Charlaine Harris's sookie series Reply with quote

How critical is it to read these in order? I'm in second place for the first book at my library and have been for ages, but have the second book in my possession. I've heard so much positive feedback on this series that I'm impatient to get started. Is it like the In Death series in that it doesn't really matter or is it like Ward's series where reading in order was pretty important?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlaine Harris's sookie series Reply with quote

Amanda wrote:
How critical is it to read these in order? I'm in second place for the first book at my library and have been for ages, but have the second book in my possession. I've heard so much positive feedback on this series that I'm impatient to get started. Is it like the In Death series in that it doesn't really matter or is it like Ward's series where reading in order was pretty important?

I would definitely wait for the first, the first book sets everything up and starts things in motion. It would be a shame to miss out on that background if you were to jump right into the second. I tend to want to read all series in order though as they usually follow a natural progression.

You could probably find the first one cheap at a USB - just a thought!

Linda
Amanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll defer to your judgement and wait. I'm cheap (frugal?) and just can't make myself buy it when I'm this close to having it from the library. I also prefer to read things in order, but kind of hoped they were independent stories enough for it not to matter.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFINITELY a read-in-order series. It builds but rarely recapitulates.
Amanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
DEFINITELY a read-in-order series. It builds but rarely recapitulates.

Nice verb usage. I had to reference 'recapitulate' at dictionary.com to confirm your meaning. I'm going to use that word in a sentence tomorrow. Very Happy
sssspro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another $,02, I agree, wait and read the first one. I'm a stickler for that...reading series in order. This series builds upon itself with the same characters. Unlike some series that have different characters as the lead in the books, this series uses the same lead, thus builds upon itself and should be read in order.
misty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to disagree with everyone, but every book that I can remember has a recap near the beginning that brings you up to date, so you'll know what's going on. I picked up the third book without knowing that it was part of a series, and didn't have any trouble following along. The recaps actually get annoying once you're familiar with the world because it's pretty much a big info dump of things you already know.

What is interesting is that a few individuals have pretty significant character arcs in the first few books, and which book you start with will influence how you view them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: