AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duke of Wyndham or Mr Cavendish- Same book?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihz101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Duke of Wyndham or Mr Cavendish- Same book? Reply with quote

I love romances because they without a doubt have a HEA. I know this and I know which characters will be involved because I read the back cover. No surprises here. So why do I love romance novels? Because the journey to the HEA can be fun, intriguing and well, romantic.
After reading and enjoying the Lost Duke of Wyndham, I waited with bated breath for the next book. As I started reading Mr Cavendish, everything was too familiar. I knew the plot, the time line, the next step. Where was the intrigue, the surprise? I got out my copy of the Lost Duke and started to compare. Huge chunks of text were exactly the same in both books. I eventually gave up my comparison and tossed both books aside. I can't help feeling there could have been much more to Thomas and Amelia's story if it would have continued where the Lost Duke left off rather than running parallel.
Plus I am out of pocket $8 from my meager book budget!!!
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's disappointing. Jo Goodman wrote *four* books all set during the same time period (the Compass Club series) and managed not to seem redundent.
kspears

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love stories/movies that run parallel, where we see or read the same conversations but they are from a different points of view. Two of my all time favorite books were Jude Deveraux's Twin of Fire and Twin of Ice. And I know those are not everyone's cup of tea.
Mingqi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kspears wrote:
I love stories/movies that run parallel, where we see or read the same conversations but they are from a different points of view. Two of my all time favorite books were Jude Deveraux's Twin of Fire and Twin of Ice. And I know those are not everyone's cup of tea.

same here!! I think it's a nice addition, because many romance novels can be so self-centered sometimes-acting as if the current hero & heroine can be the only couple in love at that point in time and if fate screws up and creates another couple simultaneously, then that couple's romance is labeled as less important. And there have been situations in real life where two romances parallel each other. I have two friends who met their bfs (who were also friends) at the same party, they got together at the same time, and then went to the same events/parties/gatherings. And another situation from this summer: two friends' romances started around the same time. One met the guy at the party. Another knew her guy beforehand as a friend, but the chemistry didn't pick up until they were at the party. And both friends started dating the guys around the same time. And the two guys were friends too. =D

However, I also agree, it's not for everyone.
Azure

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kspears wrote:

I was just thinking of those two books, because they're among my favorites as well. What I loved so much about those was that there weren't a lot of scenes which were told twice. While I did enjoy the Julia Quinn books, I did get a "been-there, done-that" feeling in a lot of scenes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: