AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When we can't even talk to each other . . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: When we can't even talk to each other . . . . Reply with quote

The fall is my favorite season. Mostly. Except every couple of years when an election comes around. THEN it is easily my least favorite time of year. My mother becomes bombastic, petulant and strident while putting forth why her candidate should be the only candidate. My sister becomes upset because she isn't even allowed to finish a sentence about why her guy is better. Neighbors from both parties knock on my door to give me literature and rant for awhile. Is it my imagination or have things become worse in the last few years? Have we ceased to have the courtesy to even listen to each other? It used to be people were friends with people from both parties, now I hear how more and more people are defining themselves by their politics. It is like each party is one of those exclusionary religions where even talking to the other side is seen as some sort of betrayal. Why?

I blame the media. Looks like they can't even get along with each other.

maggie b.

This is from Goddess: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/is-elisabeth-looking-for-a-new-view/109?nc
Quote:
"The View's" Elisabeth Hasselbeck is reportedly "really upset" about the recent political discussions (i.e. the upcoming presidential election) that have been taking place on her daytime gab fest. As the lone Republican on the talk panel -- not to mention the youngest -- she just can't seem to win against her loud, liberal counterparts Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg.

While tensions are high on set, a "View" staff member told the Chicago Sun-Times that things aren't as bad as they were during the Rosie O'Donnell era. Still, it's bad enough that Barbara Walters has set up a "cooling off" meeting for her ladies.

Rumor has it that Elisabeth may even be leaving "The View" to host her own program on the FOX News Channel, where she can be with her own "kind" ... and not have to face off with Joy and Whoopi on a daily basis! That sort of makes me sad. Although I think Hasselbeck often comes across as being out of touch, uninformed, and immature, I must admit that the outspoken 31-year-old makes for some good television!

Fortunately, Elisabeth got to take a break from all of her work drama over the weekend with her little girl Grace. (Doesn't the 3-year-old look a lot like her daddy, NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck?) The mother-daughter duo attended a special screening of "Sleeping Beauty" in NYC, celebrating the Disney flick's 50th anniversary. Maybe she's not so bad after all.
LizE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie,

I know what you're saying--unfortunately, first hand. I'm one of "those people." But I never meant to be! It all started when I went to a dinner party and sat without saying a word all night, feeling like an idiot while a lively political discussion went on around me. That led to a decision--totally innocent, I swear--to learn a little bit about what was going on over in Iraq. What started as simple curiosity turned into a passion. After months of research, I woke up one day and discovered I had become one of those horrible people who can't shut up about politics. If you knew me, you'd know that is totally bizarre. Politics has never been high on my list of interests--far below history and mythology and music and, well, romance. Now it's taken over and I'm still not quite used to it.

I agree that political arguments do seem to be getting worse--and I know because I've had more than my fair share of them lately. I think the reason passions are running so high is that our country has reached a crossroad. Things are beginning to fray around the edges and we don't know which way to turn. People are angry and frightened--but they are also terrifyingly uninformed, and that is very dangerous in a democracy. There are plenty of people ready to step in and use our fear and ignorance for their own ends. I think it's terribly important that Americans wake up, really understand what their government is doing, and take action. This seems a very urgent matter to me, so urgent that it would be morally wrong to keep silent. And once you feel that way, going along to get along feels like cowardice.

So that's my story. I wouldn't say I define myself by my politics--certainly not by my support of any candidate--but I do admit to having trouble hearing the other side. This is another bizarre occurrence, as my big problem before was always seeing both sides of any question too clearly to choose. I'm trying to listen, but it isn't easy. The best I can do is admit that I don't have the answers--but I'm still convinced I have the right questions. Maybe I just haven't found the way to frame them so everyone can see them as I do.

And maybe it's that very impulse that drives people to write books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: