AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Romance of Politics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: The Romance of Politics Reply with quote

Here is a link (I hope) to an article on The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathlyn-and-gay-kendricks/the-obama-relationship-a_b_128896.html

Be sure to look at the photo of the couple in the column of pictures on the right side of the page. I think that it is romance novel cover worthy.

What do you all think of the article and the photo?

Kay
DearEvette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how one comedian put it:

Michelle and Barack Obama are the only political couple who look like they enjoy having sex.... with each other.
Jane G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two of them are so great together. I mean, I suppose it could be an act for the media--but I doubt it. They'd have to be Oscar-worthy performers to be that convincing. Their story is so sweet, and they seem to have a really strong relationship. It isn't osmehting I considered before, but the article makes a good point-- a healthy marriage would be beneficial to the presidency. I think Michelle is also a person who could very much be an equal to Barack, and have really good contributions to policy.
LisaW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane G wrote:
I think Michelle is also a person who could very much be an equal to Barack, and have really good contributions to policy.

Too bad she's show herself to be a racist.
Jane G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad she's show herself to be a racist.

Can you explain to me how she has "shown herself" to be a racist? Besides, of course, the completely bogus "whitey" tape that doesn't exist, and her college thesis whose content is actually impartial and noncontroversial?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest issue of More magazine has Michelle Obama on the cover and contains a feature article about her. As I studied the cover, I realized that MB reminds me of Mary Tyler Moore: the hairstyle from MTM's Laura Petrie days and the smile and arms from the hat tossing, spinning scene from the opening credits of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Kay
LizE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Huffington Post Article

I like Obama (well, compared to the other choice) but I have to say I found that article a little sickening. As we're teetering on the brink of economic ruin, involved in two wars with the possibility of a third on the horizon, does the writer of this article really think I'm going to choose a president based on some sick first lady popularity contest?

"If we elect Barack Obama we are electing a new possibility in our relationship lives as a nation: respect, affection and authenticity." Huh? Our relationship lives as a nation? What the heck does that mean?

And while I am no Sarah Palin supporter (politically, I think she's a nightmare), I found this part particularly offensive.

President Palin would be desperately trying to comprehend and handle business during one of the most trying times in our nation's history, while taking care of a special needs baby, riding herd on pregnant teenagers, foul-mouthed hockey-jock son-in-laws and other household dramas.

Low blows, indeed. It's always astounding to me how vicious some people can get in defense of their candidate, but I was totally turned off by the blatant sexism and just plain nastiness of that passage.

With supporters like this, Obama doesn't need enemies.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizE wrote:
RE: Huffington Post Article

I like Obama (well, compared to the other choice) but I have to say I found that article a little sickening. As we're teetering on the brink of economic ruin, involved in two wars with the possibility of a third on the horizon, does the writer of this article really think I'm going to choose a president based on some sick first lady popularity contest?

"If we elect Barack Obama we are electing a new possibility in our relationship lives as a nation: respect, affection and authenticity." Huh? Our relationship lives as a nation? What the heck does that mean?

I feel much the same way you do re our "choices". And I agree that with everything going on in our country it seems silly that people would even entertain the idea that they would vote based on which first lady they like more, which candidate they would want to watch football with (another choice) or the great cookie debate from Good Housekeeping.

LizE wrote:
And while I am no Sarah Palin supporter (politically, I think she's a nightmare), I found this part particularly offensive.

President Palin would be desperately trying to comprehend and handle business during one of the most trying times in our nation's history, while taking care of a special needs baby, riding herd on pregnant teenagers, foul-mouthed hockey-jock son-in-laws and other household dramas.

Low blows, indeed. It's always astounding to me how vicious some people can get in defense of their candidate, but I was totally turned off by the blatant sexism and just plain nastiness of that passage.

With supporters like this, Obama doesn't need enemies.

It astounds me how much women sit still for this. The point isn't that Ms. Palin's plate might be especially full, it has an underlying thread to it that women are a) responsible for "household dramas" and b) do second rate jobs at what we work at because of a. Saying that I don't like this doesn't mean I want Sarah Palin for President. What I don't want is Sarah Palin being ridiculed for even trying because she is woman and has "household dramas" to deal with. Obama has two very young daughters -- shouldn't he be excluded too? I mean, a lot is going to change for them in the next four to eight years, shouldn't he also be concerned about the coming "household dramas"?

maggie b.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone not from the US, it seems to me that American voters seem to make their choice based more on a candidate's personal life and marriage than their European counterparts. For a while, Germany had both a chancellor and vice chancellor who had been married four times each (there actually was a joke about that), which I don't think would have worked in the US. France's top politicians open flout their mistresses and illegitimate children. Nicholas Sarkozy divorced his wife and married ex-model Carla Bruni while in office. Plus, there is the rumour going around (probably not true) that Sarkozy impregnated one of his secretaries of state.

That said, the Obamas seem like a genuinely happy and supportive couple to me. So incidentally do Sarah Palin and her husband, even though I dislike the woman's politics intensely.
LisaW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

I feel much the same way you do re our "choices". And I agree that with everything going on in our country it seems silly that people would even entertain the idea that they would vote based on which first lady they like more, which candidate they would want to watch football with (another choice) or the great cookie debate from Good Housekeeping.

Our local newspaper has a "let it out" section where people can send in little pithy write ups. Somebody sent in something like:

The approval rating for Congress is at an all time low. How come we only get to choose between senators for president?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LisaW wrote:
Our local newspaper has a "let it out" section where people can send in little pithy write ups. Somebody sent in something like:

The approval rating for Congress is at an all time low. How come we only get to choose between senators for president?

The Democratic Party CHOSE a senator; the Republican Party CHOSE a senator. Ralph Nader is running; I think he's the Green Party candidate. [I just read a magazine article written by Nader; the Green Party has a different candidate. I don't know if Nader has a party or not. He is on the ballot in 45 states.] There is a Libertarian Party candidate. Jesse Ventura is running; I don't know if he represents a political party. Isn't it possible to request a write-in ballot at a polling place?

I don't know what a candidate has to do to be included on the ballot, but I am sure that each state has a procedure that must be followed. The reason why we don't know so much about other candidates for president is that the news media don't report about them that much and that those candidates usually cannot afford to purchase as much advertising--print, radio, TV, etc.--as those of the major parties.

Kay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: