AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Need recs for TV series out on DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Need recs for TV series out on DVD Reply with quote

So I'm *just* about finished with SIX FEET UNDER: Seasons 1 - 5. It took me the whole summer, but I'm so proud of myself, thank you very much!

I'm in search of new-to-me DVD series to become addicted to. I'm a control freak who likes instant gratification so I vastly prefer marathon viewing at my own pace. What would people recommend from the following:

-Damages
-Mad Men
-Dirty Sexy Money
-Supernatural
-John Adams
-Monk
-Dexter
-Weeds
-The Riches
-Torchwood (ooh, love BBC stuff!)
-Brotherhood

I already have a few other series to pick up where I left off: THE TUDORS, BROTHERS & SISTERS, HOUSE, NCIS, THE WIRE, DEADWOOD , BOSTON LEGAL, but I'm always on the look out for quality TV series. So much "homework," so little time!

thanks in advance!

-Gail

p.s. This is why I sometimes disappear from the boards for months on end. I stop reading because my TV swallows me whole. Cool


Last edited by Gail K. on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeeB.



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1281
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch tv a lot but I have seen (courtesy of a friend who is into BitTorrents) both seasons of The Tudors. Excellent program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cora



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 1129
Location: Bremen, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk is funny and holds up surprisingly well after umpteen seasons. I have only seen one season of Supernatural so far, but liked what I saw.

I'd be careful about Torchwood. The first season was excellent. It does have quite a bit of swearing and sex, including hot same sex kissing, and also some gore, so be careful if either of those bother you. It is watchable without having seen Doctor Who, but it's better if you have. Plus, it helped keeping me sane during a difficult time in my life, which is why I am so angry about how bad it became. The second season is a complete let-down IMO, so stay away. The boldness and sexiness are downplayed, characters don't act like themselves, two characters end up in the worst possible relationships imaginable, the jokes are lame and the best actor is sidelined in favour of lame secondstringers. Plus, James Masters is wasted in a lame Spike retread. I stopped watching in disgust after half a season. From what I heard, it only got worse. It seems they are in the process of turning Torchwood into a repository for leftover Doctor Who characters (they actually shoehorned a Doctor Who character into three episodes of season 2), while downplaying the good original characters. I actually stopped watching both Torchwood and Doctor Who, because I hated season 2 of Torchwood so much. And those were my favourite shows, but I can't fathom ever watching either show again.

I can't say anything about the other shows, except that the trailers for Damages turned me so off that I didn't even try to watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much on series, but I did get hooked on Rescue Me which should be coming around again for another season soon and one which you didn't mention.

My husband and son love Monk and I've heard Dexter is pretty good, but I just couldn't get into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I'm not much on series, but I did get hooked on Rescue Me which should be coming around again for another season soon and one which you didn't mention.

My husband and son love Monk and I've heard Dexter is pretty good, but I just couldn't get into it.


Oh, Tee, I gave up on Rescue Me after the 3rd season or so. Just got so dang depressing and twisted. :cry:

I guess I should amend my original request. I want series that END WELL (not happily, just coherently), or at least have the promise of doing so. I hate investing time into a series that just peters out or goes completely bonkers!

Edited to add: I just finished watching the very last episode of SIX FEET UNDER. I could not look away from that final sequence. Now *that's* how you end a series. On its own terms.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donna Lea Simpson



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 249
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to chime in here... if you like historicals at all, John Adams was simply fabulous! Paul Giamatti was wonderful as the title character, and Laura Linney as Abigail was brilliant; strong, intelligent but so very human. The dialogue was smart, and used a lot of Adams' actual speeches, I believe, to wonderful effect.

Well worth watching.

Edited to add... then watch The Nanny Diaries (movie) to see Linney and Giamatti again... I watched them (the TV show and the movie) close together and the effect was startling, to say the least, because for a while every time I saw Giamatti I thought of him as the irascible, intelligent Adams, then to see him switch characters... great actor!
_________________
Visit my blog for the latest!
http://donnaleasimpson.wordpress.com

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Oh, Tee, I gave up on Rescue Me after the 3rd season or so. Just got so dang depressing and twisted. Crying or Very sad

I think that was just about the time that I emphatically said that I wouldn't continue watching the series, either. However, I went back to it and they sort of revitalized. It's been off the air now so long since the writers' strike that I can't even remember how the last season ended. I'll give it another try; that I know. Then I'll take it from there.

Gail K. wrote:
I just finished watching the very last episode of SIX FEET UNDER. I could not look away from that final sequence. Now *that's* how you end a series. On its own terms.

Six Feet Under was another series that began with a bang, but petered out for me somewhere around the third season or so. I tried every now and then to get back to it, but couldn't. I'm sure I saw the last episode, but truly cannot remember it.

You know what's depressing about these two series in particular? It's that they had such potential initially. The writing was excellent, the stories were fantastic and the acting was superb. Somewhere along the line, the writing faltered; consequently, so did the stories. They became ridiculous. Every now and then, they tried to pull it together, but then got insane again.

When the series Nip/Tuck was introduced, I thought it was wonderful. A good play between two people, with different perceptions in life, but both plastic surgeons. Often, they changed positions on each other and that made the series deep and interesting. Again, as it rolled along, the stories became stupid and the acting suffered because of it. I gave up on it but always thought it could have remained a strong one.

Good luck in finding one that works for you, Gail. Let me know which ones were successful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
Just had to chime in here... if you like historicals at all, John Adams was simply fabulous! Paul Giamatti was wonderful as the title character, and Laura Linney as Abigail was brilliant; strong, intelligent but so very human. The dialogue was smart, and used a lot of Adams' actual speeches, I believe, to wonderful effect.

Well worth watching.

Edited to add... then watch The Nanny Diaries (movie) to see Linney and Giamatti again... I watched them (the TV show and the movie) close together and the effect was startling, to say the least, because for a while every time I saw Giamatti I thought of him as the irascible, intelligent Adams, then to see him switch characters... great actor!



I will follow your plan, Donna, thanks! I really liked Laura Linney in LOVE ACTUALLY and have been meaning to watch THE NANNY DIARIES. Paul Giamatti...don't know as much about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, I lent out my RESCUE ME dvd's to a friend...maybe one day I'll ask for them back and try again. I nearly gave up on SIX FEET UNDER as well but this is when my near-OCD personality kicks in. The Fishers were just so screwed up, and I had heard such good things about the final season, that I just wanted to see What Would Happen. The actress Frances Conroy (Ruth Fisher) is a revelation. No wonder she won all those awards. Actually, the fine acting of the actors playing many of the main & peripheral characters sustained the entire series, no matter how melodramatic the plotlines sometimes became.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1150
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Men is fabulous. And even if for some reason it doesn't work for you, you can always watch it for the design and the clothes. Gorgeous stuff.

Am I allowed to say Friday Night Lights even though it's not on the list? It's such a great show and needs all the support it can get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
Mad Men is fabulous. And even if for some reason it doesn't work for you, you can always watch it for the design and the clothes. Gorgeous stuff.

Am I allowed to say Friday Night Lights even though it's not on the list? It's such a great show and needs all the support it can get.


Of course, I'll all for List Expansion. Ordinarily *not* a football fan...would I still enjoy FNL?

Thanks for the heads-up on MAD MEN. At this rate, I might as well stay home all day and watch TV Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1150
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Of course, I'll all for List Expansion. Ordinarily *not* a football fan...would I still enjoy FNL?

Absolutely. While not everyone is going to love Friday Night Lights, I can definitely say that it's about much more than just football. I haven't seen many shows with relationships that seem as real as those on FNL. The acting is amazing and shame on the Emmy voters for not recognizing it. Also, I think you can get the episodes on the official website if you are in the US. And the both seasons are on DVD - and relatively inexpensive.

The camera work for the first few episodes is pretty awful (the shaky camera school of cinematography) but it got better as the show went on. Really, I can't recommend it enough.

(end of marketing pitch)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandlynn



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1830
Location: Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, I'll all for List Expansion. Ordinarily *not* a football fan...would I still enjoy FNL?


Football is the frame upon which they shape the story, but it's really about a small town in Texas with all the drama of sex, love, prejudice, greed, loss, etc.

I never watched "Alias" while it was on TV, so that's what I've been making my way through, one DVD at a time. It definitely keeps your interest.

If you didn't watch the following while they were on the air, I'd recommend "The West Wing," "Gilmore Girls," and "Veronica Mars." For comedy, I'd recommend, "Arrested Development."

Oh, and then there was the short-lived, but much fun, "Keen Eddie.".

Another series, just for fun is -- "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" especially the first season.

If it's available for rent on DVD, I'd recommend the British series, "House of Elliot."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn, I've already whipped thru 3 seasons of VERONICA MARS. Absolutely recommend it.

And I think I've stated before in public that I had a poster of Dean Cain on my dorm wall freshman year in college. Embarassed

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, I got stuck in the 2nd season. The humor was quirky but for some reason it seemed rhythmically "off" to me.

HOUSE OF ELLIOT....I was perusing that on Netflix. I love lavish period pieces!

thanks for the recs!

-Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
Monk is funny and holds up surprisingly well after umpteen seasons. I have only seen one season of Supernatural so far, but liked what I saw.

I'd be careful about Torchwood. The first season was excellent. It does have quite a bit of swearing and sex, including hot same sex kissing, and also some gore, so be careful if either of those bother you. It is watchable without having seen Doctor Who, but it's better if you have. Plus, it helped keeping me sane during a difficult time in my life, which is why I am so angry about how bad it became. The second season is a complete let-down IMO, so stay away. The boldness and sexiness are downplayed, characters don't act like themselves, two characters end up in the worst possible relationships imaginable, the jokes are lame and the best actor is sidelined in favour of lame secondstringers. Plus, James Masters is wasted in a lame Spike retread. I stopped watching in disgust after half a season. From what I heard, it only got worse. It seems they are in the process of turning Torchwood into a repository for leftover Doctor Who characters (they actually shoehorned a Doctor Who character into three episodes of season 2), while downplaying the good original characters. I actually stopped watching both Torchwood and Doctor Who, because I hated season 2 of Torchwood so much. And those were my favourite shows, but I can't fathom ever watching either show again.

I can't say anything about the other shows, except that the trailers for Damages turned me so off that I didn't even try to watch it.


Thanks for your input, Cora. I've only caught a couple epis of DR. WHO on Sci-fi Channel. Given my sci-fi proclivities, I feel like I should like it, but I find it kinda cheesy. I read an intriguing article about the first season of TORCHWOOD, once, though, so maybe I will check out just the premiere season!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group