AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone watch Lost in Austen?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Anyone watch Lost in Austen? Reply with quote

Anyone else watch Lost in Austen?

Somehow the trailers had made me think it wouldn't be very good, but I did enjoy it. It was interesting that the Austen they were trying to evoke was the BBC series, rather than the book itself, but I'm fond enough of that series that it was still good fun.
Thought the casting was surprisingly good - I'm on the fence about Mr Darcy - as Amanda remarked, he's no Colin Firth; but then I don't think I fell for Firth until about episode 3 of the original series.

http://www.itv.com/Drama/perioddrama/LostInAusten/default.html
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that looks interesting, but it says video's not available outside the UK...sigh!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Lost in austen Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Oh, that looks interesting, but it says video's not available outside the UK...sigh!

Well, that explains why the links didn't work for me.

Is this TV show related to the book? I've got the book at home but haven't read it yet.
MMcA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this TV show related to the book?

Book?

If it is, they didn't mention it in the article introducing the show - it just talks about the script writer, Guy Andrews. The modern day heroine's name is Amanda Price - does that sound familiar?

I don't want to look on Amazon, in case there's a synopsis that hints at the ending. More fun not knowing. My working theory is that Amanda will end up with Darcy, and Elizabeth with Amanda's boyfriend - but that's really based on the fact that Elizabeth seems in no hurry to come back from our time.

Edited to add: perhaps a YouTube link would work?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aWpUDi92dMM
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much, MMca for the link. This show looks like lots of fun!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Lost in Austen book Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:
Is this TV show related to the book?

Book?

If it is, they didn't mention it in the article introducing the show - it just talks about the script writer, Guy Andrews. The modern day heroine's name is Amanda Price - does that sound familiar?

The book is Lost in Austen by Emma Campbell Webster, published in 2007. However, it appears to be completely different from the TV series, as it doesn't involve time travel at all. It's one of those "choose your own action" type books, where it takes a scene from the original P&P and asks the reader to answer a question relating to Regency England or to choose a particular course of action. Depending on the response, you are directed to go to a different page and the story picks up from there. It is possible, therefore, to have the book develop in a very different manner from the original, although a number of the variations are based on characters or events from other Austen novels. It's fun to read in short bits, but it's not the kind of book you read straight through.

I liked the YouTube clip and will look for this when (and if) it appears in the US. Thank you for adding the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: