AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse Reply with quote

I just read about this in EW. I'm a fan of Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) but have never gravitated toward reading Charlaine Harris. It kinda struck me as an odd creative pairing. Anyone going to watch this new HBO series?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to check it out. I saw "Making of True Blood" on HBO the other day. The production values seemed excellent. I have never read the books either, but I probably will if I like the program.
Kay
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! Already have my DVR set to record it, should I forget to watch.
graceC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, plan to watch this show. Have never watched Alan Ball's creation 'Six Feet Under', or Sookie Stackhouse the book. I'm in a reading funk anyway (going on for month #3 now! Aaarghh!!) so I figured a vampire show with a bit of romance might just be the cure for me. Smile
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was it ladies? I absolutely love the books but do not have HBO - I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Was it good? True to the books?

Linda
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have HBO, either, but will be waiting for the DVD's!

Still Netflixing my way through Season 4 of "Six Feet Under"...
graceC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED it...!!! Good casts, good storyline, quirky humor, and lots of intriques. I think Anna Paquin did a good job with her southern twang. I've never read the novels, so I won't know how different or closely the show follows the books. The first episode was sort of an introduction to the main casts, and the scene where Sookie meets Bill.. wow..!! talk about chemistry... the scene positively sizzles with it!

The last show that I followed closely was Buffy, so I'm glad I finally have another show to look forward to Very Happy
sanalayla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty interesting. It was a little too graphic with the sex scenes, but that's to be expected with HBO, I guess.

Paquin is pretty likable, but I think that the main vampire (the hero) is going to have to grow on me. I also didn't feel that much heat and chemistry between them.

I haven't read the books (haven't even heard of them before) but I think I'll check at least one out now that I've seen the episode. I have HBO for only one month and I don't know if I'm going to get addicted enough to need to subscribe after this or if I'll just want to wait for the DVD.

For those who have the read the books: Is there enough meat in the books to make for a really fleshed out series?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
I plan to check it out. I saw "Making of True Blood" on HBO the other day. The production values seemed excellent. I have never read the books either, but I probably will if I like the program.
Kay

Well, I have seen the first two episodes and want to see the next ones. I am a story person; if the story engages me, I am willing to invest myself in the book or film. So far, I am actively engaged. My favorite character is Mrs. Stackhouse.

As I watched The Closer season finale last night, I began to wonder how much Anna Paquin might be channeling Brenda Lee Johnson. Sookie's hair, accent, mannerisms, and movements all evoke images of Brenda for me. However, I believe that Paquin is performing well.

I don't want to read the first book in the series until the program finishes that story line.

Kay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: