AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blind, no, informed, yes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbmedos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Blind, no, informed, yes Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Quote:
Considering that most truly in the know, meaning the generals on the ground, believe the situation to be won and under control how is this true?

Considering those generals were picked to mindlessly agree with President Bush and his stupid useless war, how would you expect an honest assessment from them? Are you blind?

Living in the past again are we? Okay, current reality check with quick "Iraq war" search from CNN.com brought up these recent links:

Pentagon: Violence down in Iraq since 'surge'

Iraq war still unpopular even as U.S. deaths plummet

Deal would have U.S. troops out of Iraq by 2012

I could also give you some interesting links from FoxNews.com but since that would only make most of you complain extensively. I think I'll refrain. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, this is already happening. Now. Before the evil overlord Bush is out of office. Twisted Evil So give it a rest and move on. We have a new President to elect. He's going to make his own mistakes regardless of who he is.

Speaking of which, exactly how is wanting to move troops to Afghanistan right away playing to Obama's base? That one puzzles me because no one ever talks about it. Sure doesn't sound like bringing them home and ending war to me, though. Confused
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev, staying out of the political side of things because as a non-American my take on Iraq is influenced by different concerns, I recommend you check out Michael J. Totten's website. He's done a lot of independent reporting from Iraq and it's generally interesting stuff. You'll have to search the archives because for the last few months he's focused on the Balkans and on Georgia, but those posts are pretty good too.
LisaW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
Bev, staying out of the political side of things because as a non-American my take on Iraq is influenced by different concerns, I recommend you check out Michael J. Totten's website. He's done a lot of independent reporting from Iraq and it's generally interesting stuff. You'll have to search the archives because for the last few months he's focused on the Balkans and on Georgia, but those posts are pretty good too.

I'd recommend talking with troops "on the ground." I dare say everyone in the US must have someone who has been there or someone who knows someone,etc.

I have several in Iraq military personnel ... high enough rank to know what's going on, without being so high as to have to follow the politic line. Both have had close contacts with ordinary everyday Iraqis ... and those Iraqies are glad the US did what it did, would have liked something like the surge to have happened sooner. They are confident the Iraqis, with some continued help from the US troops, but less and less as time goes by, can maintain the security. While there are Shia with the Arabic notion of pay-back for Saddam's 30+ years and ready and willing to kill Sunnis, whether plain ordinary citizens or not, there are more who see a better way.
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, I'm not sure why you quoted my post - do you view speaking to troops and reading interesting (to me, at least) reports as being mutually exclusive activities? Or where you just adding a rec?
bbmedos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to respond but I had an asthma flare-up over the weekend and ended up having to go to the doctor to get antibiotics earlier this week to help me get fully over it. Still not quite back to normal but at least back to posting online. Wink

Anyways, thanks for the link, Yulie. It's interesting and one I hadn't seen before. I added it to my feeds. Smile

LisaW, I can't disagree. Having lived in a city at the side of a major army base almost all my life, one of the oldest and most stable in the US, I know a lot about soldiers as a source of info like that. Sometimes anyway. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: