AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone read THE SILVER DEVIL by TERESA DENYS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Has anyone read THE SILVER DEVIL by TERESA DENYS? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has read The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys, which received a mention in the recent ATBF on grovelling?? The snippet included really intrigued me and I wanted to look up the book. But before paying some of the really high prices that I found online, I'd just like to know what anyone else out there thought of it and whether it would be worth buying?

Thanks

Karen
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone read THE SILVER DEVIL by TERESA DENYS? Reply with quote

karen_ling17 wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has read The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys, which received a mention in the recent ATBF on grovelling?? The snippet included really intrigued me and I wanted to look up the book. But before paying some of the really high prices that I found online, I'd just like to know what anyone else out there thought of it and whether it would be worth buying?

It depends on your tolerance for heroes who verge toward the psychopathic. Laughing People are punished heavily for being attracted to the heroine. Some readers approach it more as a historical than as a historical romance. Also, be warned that it's all from the heroine's POV (as far as I can remember).

If you want to find a cheaper price for it, create an alert at eBay so that when a cheap copy turns up, you get an e-mail, and you can jump in. I think I got mine for under ten dollars. If you elect to search the descriptions and not just the title of the item, you might even find it sold as part of a cheap batch of books.

Also, try some of those free on-line book searches. I found a copy of Denys' hardback for a pittance through a used book search. Copies were going for around $100, and I got it for maybe $10? Shocked
Acorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Acorn on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Em

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,
I found this book some years ago in a UBS after reading about it on a romance site (can't remember which). The discussion of this book--which at that time made me curious to read it --revolved around those rather unusual and rare romances that featured arrogant, violent, almost anti-heroes, and boy, does this one fit THAT description. As I recall, it is set in Renaissance Italy, and as another poster has mentioned, the "hero" would in modern terms probably be termed a psychopath. That said, despite everything, the book was a rather interesting read. I don't know if it's worth going out of your way or paying a lot of money for, but if you find it for a reasonable price, it's worth a look as a sort of oddity.
katiebabs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This romance should not be even called a romance! The hero, and I use that term lightly raped the heroine every chance he got, threatened to kill her if she didn't do what he said and he liked to kill everyone under him. He reminded me of Caligula. He was a psycho, obsessive freak.
Violent and disturbing. And I can't believe it runs over $100 in UBS or on line.
Horrible.
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Anne. I created an alert on Ebay and managed to get T. Denys's "The Flesh and the Devil" for a steal. Still looking out for Silver Devil.
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karen, there are some pretty cheap used ones on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0345289927/ref=dp_olp_2
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nicole

I'm in the UK, and the shipping charges from the US are very pricey! T

The cheapest copy on Amazon UK is 14 pounds (and that's not including shipping!)

Karen
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, well good luck in the search then.
Acorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, please check your private messages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: