AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Politicians and Affairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Politicians and Affairs Reply with quote

I was just reading an article today about how John Edwards will still be speaking at U of I and was wondering if other venues he was to speak at had canceled. And that got me to thinking, what do you think of politicians and affairs? And does it matter who the affair was with and how it was handled? For example, Elliot Spitzer didn't technically have an affair - he was with a favored prostitute but given what she did, I really don't think there was a relationship there. Anyway, here's my question. Does an affair make you think less of the candidate? Do the circumstances matter to you?

And here are my own answers: John McCains affair is ancient history but I didn't like what it said about his character. Since I have other issues with him, this isn't a deciding factor point for me but it is still something I would probably wind up weighing against him.

Spitzer, the only circumstance that truly bothered me was that it was ILLEGAL. I think the least we can expect from our elected officials is from them to honor the law. I put this up there with DUI's and other crimes of that ilk. Not acceptable although perhaps not completely showing a lack of morality on the part of perp.

Edwards. His wife was sick, he was running for office. What is odd is that probably what offends me most is his use of TIME for the affair. His kids needed him, his wife undoubtedly needed him and he was already using up oodles of time to run for office. How could he steal from them what little free time he had to launch a sexual affair? And why did he attack the people who exposed him so viciously? More over, why did he lie over and over again about the issue? Overall, I found this one pretty disgusting and like McCain's affair, a big black mark on his character.

So, what do you all think?

maggie b.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some time in the past, the man or woman involved in an extra-marital affair made a vow. I automatically question the honor of those who break it.
Kass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Edwards didn't divorce her as she was going into the hospital for cancer surgery, like Newt Gingrich did to his wife.

Sigh. I just find this incredibly sad. At one point, these people decided to love and support each other for the rest of their lives. What happened?

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: