AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian drama series - my new source for romantic movies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Asian drama series - my new source for romantic movies Reply with quote

When I was browsing Wen Spencer’s blog a few weeks ago, I found an entry about her obsession with the Japanese manga „Hana Kimi“. Furthermore, she mentioned the existence of a Taiwanese drama series of the dame name – my interest was roused and hasn’t abated since.

As I’m always on the lookout for some good romantic movies but seem to have already dug up everything that there is on the Western markets, Asian drama series were a revelation. I can only speak for Japanese and Taiwanese productions as I haven’t tried any Korean offerings yet but what there is is astonishing. Certainly, some dramas are just plain bad but then there are gems to be found which are romantic, funny, dramatic, sad, exiting and heart-warming.

However, you have to be aware that many of them are only available in fansub format (fansubbers are my new heroes) which may range from excellent English to “this might be English”, and then only on the net in sometimes dubious sound and video quality. Still, they are so worth it.

Ok, ok, I admit it. I wasn’t totally satisfied with this and tried to get some original DVDs with subs (my Japanese is chancy and my Mandarin consists of five words) for my favourite series. Malaysia seems to be the only place in the world that produces legal DVDs of these countries’ series with understandable English subs. I love the current favourable dollar / Euro exchange rate.

There is a whole wikipedia for learning about Asian drama series http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Main_Page and perhaps some starting point series? After all, I have to propagate my favourites. “Mars” (one of the darker ones), “It started with a kiss” and “They kiss again” (especially the second might appeal), “The devil beside you”, “Hana Kimi” (both in the Japanese and Taiwanese versions), “Nodame Cantabile” (for the appeal of classical music), “Hana Yori Dango”, “Engine” (just heart-warming), “Good Luck” … I’ll stop here though I could go on for a bit longer.

Just try something new.
graceC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asian romantic movies, eh? I never thought of them. I'm in a MAJOR reading slump, and has been going on for almost a month now, the longest I've been in a slump, so your idea might just be what I need to satisfy my craving.

Have you tried Singaporean romantic dramas? I used to watch them when I was still living in Indonesia. They're usually still in Mandarin but have English sub-title. I find that I would much rather watch a sub-titled movie than the fan-sub one. A bad fan sub can really kill the mood for me.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "My Boss, My Hero" a J-Drama. I dunno how to download it but someone else might. Plot Synopsis: 27-year old Gangsta scion is forced by dad to go back and finish high school if he wishes to take over. All the predictable (and unpredictable) romantic entanglements and high school hijinks of course ensue. Highly comedic and surprisingly sentimental. Main character is Hot.

There is also another office lady J-Drama, Anego (?) which I half-started last year and mean to finish one of these days.

-Gail
Iris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Ah, new fodder Reply with quote

Wonderful, two new series to watch! Here goes my weekend. Thanks for the tip.

I generally use RealPlayer to download though the quality is not what it could be - hence the DVD buying spree.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Iris!

I shot off a quick email to my Source, and the response I got back was

www.crunchyroll.com

www.mysoju.com

for streaming video, I believe.
Iris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's where I watch most of my series, too. However, as they are only available when online, I have to download hence the bad quality of the videos I mentioned.

Luckily, the Malaysian DVD producers and the fabulous $ / € exchange rate cured me of squinting, and the sound is better, too.

Should you ever finish 'Anego' I'd say look for 'Densha Otoko'. That was the highlight of my last weekend (I'm in a reading slump) and definitely worth watching. Very sweet love story between an office lady and an otaku. The film for that is offered on an American DVD.

Iris
Iris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceC wrote:
Asian romantic movies, eh? I never thought of them. I'm in a MAJOR reading slump, and has been going on for almost a month now, the longest I've been in a slump, so your idea might just be what I need to satisfy my craving.

Have you tried Singaporean romantic dramas? I used to watch them when I was still living in Indonesia. They're usually still in Mandarin but have English sub-title. I find that I would much rather watch a sub-titled movie than the fan-sub one. A bad fan sub can really kill the mood for me.

GraceC, the movies or series I'm watching are certainly helping me to get my 'romance fix.' However, I've never tried anything from Singapore. Any title worth mentioning?

Actually, some of the fansubs are excellent - as long as you don't mind the occasional blooper, but that happens in professional works, too. If I just watch something online I can always switch to something else, after all, I haven't paid for it. So far, I was lucky with my bought DVDs. I mean, come on, a Japanese of Mandarin film translated into English in Malaysia?!? There are even some online retailers situated in the US that sell the films www.HKflix.com for example or you look at www.zoommovie.com, that's the one in Malaysia I use. Their shipping rates are divine.

Iris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: