AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Many Bad Books
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

Recently I've been very disappointed with the books I've been reading. I read a truly awful new Dean Koontz, a dreadful science fiction book by John Ridley, and several bad books in a row by Sandra Brown (she's a very uneven author for me; I love some of her books like Mirror Image but others fall into the All These People Are Jerks category).

What do you do when you're on a bad book streak? How do you get out of it? Do you take risks on new authors, browse review sites, or just give up for a while and go back to some old favorites?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but this really sucks.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually going by reviews from trusted places like AAR and word of mouth drastically reduces the number of stinkeroos. Of course, there's no 100% guarantee because tastes differ but it does help.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
What do you do when you're on a bad book streak? How do you get out of it? Do you take risks on new authors, browse review sites, or just give up for a while and go back to some old favorites?

Probably all the things you tried, I would try too. Most of all, I continue to pitch the bad ones and keep trying others. It's sad when the ones that turn up DNF are from previous fav authors; but that's the way it goes sometimes. I believe at any one time it could be my disposition, the author's or maybe a combination of both. Whatever--it's never worth it to me anymore to go on with a book I'm not enjoying. Good luck.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can empathize. Usually when this happens to me I go to a trusted review site, primarily AAR, and look for new authors. I also go to the backlists of authors I have recently started to read and often reread old favorites. At this point I often head to my local library, especially for new authors. That way, if I don't like the book/author's style, it hasn't cost me anything but time.

I have noticed that my "To Buy" lists for the last few months have been short. I am hoping that things pick up. The upside of this is that I have been trying new authors and have discovered a couple that I really like. I recently purchased a Kindle. Because the new book pickins' are slim for me, I am purchasing some of my favorites for my Kindle.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Recently I've been very disappointed with the books I've been reading. I read a truly awful new Dean Koontz,

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but this really sucks.

Which Koontz was it? I hope it's not Watchers....because I've got that ready to read next! Crying or Very sad
I don't know the answer to your problem. You'll have to work it out your way. Myself, I've sort of given up on new historicals. I don't think there's anything new out there worth reading. They all seem trite, and I'm not in the mood to slog through a book everyone loves to death, and I just don't see it. So...I'm reading an old historical...The Rainbow Season by Lisa Gregory. I've had it for years and it's about time I read it. Nice book and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm also rereading my fave Linda Howards, because I've only read them once and that was when I first started reading the genre. I just finished Dream Man and am starting After The Night soon. I've also got the Grace Valley Trilogy all lined up (Robyn Carr). Love this author's Virgin River series so I'm hoping for some good reading. Good Luck!
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which Koontz was it? I hope it's not Watchers....because I've got that ready to read next!

That's not new Koontz, hon. It's good. Don't read his new dog book published this year, though. It sucks. In fact, don't read much of anything he published after 1996.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I've also got the Grace Valley Trilogy all lined up (Robyn Carr). Love this author's Virgin River series so I'm hoping for some good reading.

You should have some great reading ahead for you, xina, with the Grace Valley trilogy. I enjoyed them a lot when they first came out. The first one was very good; but so were the others. I agree also with you regarding new historical romances. With only a few exceptions, I have given them up because they are so disappointing.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone recommended this site on another board I read. Not sure how well it does in offering suggestions of "good" books rather than "bad," but it should be fun to try:

What should I read next:
http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
I've also got the Grace Valley Trilogy all lined up (Robyn Carr). Love this author's Virgin River series so I'm hoping for some good reading.

You should have some great reading ahead for you, xina, with the Grace Valley trilogy. I enjoyed them a lot when they first came out. The first one was very good; but so were the others. I agree also with you regarding new historical romances. With only a few exceptions, I have given them up because they are so disappointing.

Yes, I'm excited to get into these Carr books Tee. I did love the Virgin River series. Is the same h/h in every book? I just skimmed a bit and it seemed so. I just have to finish the books I'm reading now, then I'll start the first one.
Yes, new historicals just don't interest me now. If I'm going to read a historical, it will be an older one I've had shelved away for years. I've got some good ones just waiting to be read and something tells me, now is a good time!
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not new Koontz, hon. It's good. Don't read his new dog book published this year, though. It sucks. In fact, don't read much of anything he published after 1996.[/quote]

Well, Watchers has that lovely Golden on the cover! I've read some good reviews on it. I'm glad it's not the clunker! Is it a reprint? I didn't look at the pub date. I haven't read much Koontz, but have really enjoyed the Odd Thomas series.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

Kass wrote:
Quote:
Which Koontz was it? I hope it's not Watchers....because I've got that ready to read next!

That's not new Koontz, hon. It's good. Don't read his new dog book published this year, though. It sucks. In fact, don't read much of anything he published after 1996.

If the "new dog book" is about the Golden Retriever named Nikki (sp?), then I read it a few months ago! Some of the prose was great, but the storytelling was uneven . . . and I personally didn't care for the characters. At the time, I assumed it was just my taste talking; but now I see I'm not alone! Cool
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a couple of things. One is ask myself what I am in the mood for, what I've read that was like that and then maybe try and find that same plot, different author. Two is browse the bookstore -- there are so many good books out there and sometimes we just aren't in a place to hear about them. After browsing, I hit the library. No sense spending my hard earned cash on junk Laughing Sometimes I'll read non fiction. That breaks up the pace nicely and when I come back to the fiction I am more tolerant.

I hit a couple of bad ones lately too, so I can feel for you! ("Marked" was so awful I haven't read for two days.)

maggie b.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
At the time, I assumed it was just my taste talking; but now I see I'm not alone! Cool

No, you're definitely not alone.

Me, I'm still waiting for Koontz to finish the Frankenstein "trilogy" - I figure it's going to turn out like the Christopher Snow "trilogy." I always wondered what would happen if you just lost interest in mid-series. Apparently nothing, if you're a big enough name.

Kass, wish I'd run across anything that would break your dead streak, but alas, I haven't found anything wonderful lately. I've had a run of books that were incredibly mundane - full of details like, "She opened the refrigerator. She slid out the crisper drawer. She selected an apple. She slid the drawer back in and closed the refrigerator." No sensory details like the bright light, burst of cool air, shininess or mushiness of the fruit, anything to add atmosphere. Just the filler facts, ma'am and dull, dull, dull.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Is the same h/h in every book? I just skimmed a bit and it seemed so. I just have to finish the books I'm reading now, then I'll start the first one.

Yes, xina, the same characters are in each book of the Grace Valley trilogy too. The two main characters are introduced in the first one and they appear in all three books. I really enjoyed the way she unfolded the entire story--similar to the Virgin River series. In fact, some people who appeared briefly in the second Grace Valley series were introduced in the first series, only you didn't know about them then. Enjoy.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Well, Watchers has that lovely Golden on the cover! I've read some good reviews on it. I'm glad it's not the clunker! Is it a reprint? I didn't look at the pub date. I haven't read much Koontz, but have really enjoyed the Odd Thomas series.

Watchers is an older one. I loved it back when I first read it before I started reading romance. I read it again last year from a different perspective -- there is a romance but it's pretty clumsy and obviously written from a man's POV. Don't worry about that because it's all about the most wonderful dog. You'll love the dog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: