AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The FBI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: FBI in today's NYT Reply with quote

Jillian wrote:
The mere existence of this federal court tells me that Canadians do not have the same freedom of speech as Americans do.

Jillian -

I am proud to live in the U.S., where freedom if speech is guaranteed. That said, just today I read that the FBI admitted to having tapped into the phones of reporters on the NYT and Washington Post. It was all a mistake, of course...isn't it always?...and had this been a decade ago, there would have been a huge furor. Of course, making the news known on a Friday afternoon so it would not hit a weekday news cycle reminds me of what Nixon did during Watergate. It's hard not to be cynical about that type of thing, but more and more I think about what Ben Franklin said about giving up liberty for safety.

I know people say that they would have no problem being tapped because they have nothing to hide, but that is not how it is "supposed" to be in our country.
Jillian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: LLB, I agree with you Reply with quote

LLB,
I agree with you, it sounds like the FBI overstepped it's bounds tremendously, they will probably have to pay a price, ie: a public apology, maybe financial compensation, there may even be a job or two lost if they are found to be in the wrong. They should have all those things happen if they tapped phone lines for nefarious reasons.
That has nothing to do with my statements on Canada's Human Rights Council.
My defense of Lisa W has nothing to do with our (America's) FBI or the American government at all.
I was simply defending a true statement made by Lisa W for which she was treated as if she did not know what she was saying.
Lisa W may not be aware of Canada's HRC, but she is correct that it can be illegal to state your opinion in public. One major purpose of Canada's HRC is to determine if someone has offered insult or spoken in a racist manor. Those found guilty are ordered to pay compensation and not permitted to make public statements without that statement being approved by the HRC ever again. Those found not guilty have no recourse to compensation either financial or to their public reputation.
Lisa W was correct.
I will have to look into the details of the FBIs admission before I can say for sure they were wrong, although I believe if they made a public statement on it, they probably were wrong. That has nothing to do with truth, only my personal assumptions, which, could have me& my expensive lawyer facing a judge if I were in Canada.
I feel you are trying to compare apples to oranges and I do not think that you starting a new thread on the same subject with a different title is a fair was to debate an issue.
And, that is probably all I have to say (for now).
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: FBI in today's NYT Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
Of course, making the news known on a Friday afternoon so it would not hit a weekday news cycle reminds me of what Nixon did during Watergate.

Ah, this explains something for me. A big deal was made of John Edwards wanting his news to come out on a Friday and the interview being on a Friday night at that. Nightline explained at the beginning of their interview that they were doing all those things at HIS request. I had always heard Friday was a bad day for news to break but I didn't quite understand why. Now I do.

The whole thing is very upsetting. Having never bought an Enquirer in my life I am starting to wonder if I'm missing out . . . .

maggie b.
LisaW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FBI in today's NYT Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Having never bought an Enquirer in my life I am starting to wonder if I'm missing out . . . .

maggie b.

Of the tabloids, The National Enquirer seems to have "more on the ball" when it comes to things. Scary, isn't it? Now, they have been successfully sued, but only a few times in the past ... and I don't think much at all in the last year or two.

One thing you do have to know, one of the The National Enquirer's key owners is Roger Altman. If that name sounds familiar, he was in the first Clinton administration, was mentioned as a possible Treasury Secretary ... and is currently a heavy Hillary backer.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: FBI in today's NYT Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
LLB wrote:
Of course, making the news known on a Friday afternoon so it would not hit a weekday news cycle reminds me of what Nixon did during Watergate.

Ah, this explains something for me. A big deal was made of John Edwards wanting his news to come out on a Friday and the interview being on a Friday night at that. Nightline explained at the beginning of their interview that they were doing all those things at HIS request. I had always heard Friday was a bad day for news to break but I didn't quite understand why. Now I do.

The whole thing is very upsetting. Having never bought an Enquirer in my life I am starting to wonder if I'm missing out . . . .

maggie b.

Yeah, in terms of TV, Friday nights and Saturdays, people tend to be out having fun and not paying attention to the news. And, I'm guessing, the Saturday paper is the least read. So, it's a great time to release embarrassing or unpleasant news. However, Edwards' timing went a bit further since that particular Friday was also the night the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics was being shown in the U.S. Who was going to bother to watch his interview?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: