AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Princess Recommendations Reply with quote

Argh... I always have forum selection paralysis when starting a thread...

I will be going to a princess-themed bridal shower in a couple of weeks and I was going to bring a selection of romance novels about princesses/princes. I don't care about length, genre (even romantica/erotica), or anything like that, although decent covers would be nice because of grandmothers attending the showers. All I ask is that these be good books because my romance-selecting reputation is on the line.

Any good ideas?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read these books, and all are very good. Even though "princess" is in the title, the heroines are not princesses, just compared to them. Elizabeth Thornton: Princess Charming, The Perfect Princess, Almost a Princess.

Also, Christina Dodd has a "princess" series, but I have not read it.

Kay
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday My Prince by Christina Dodd, loved this book even though it got a lukewarm review here at a C+. I would grade it more toward an A-.
Also, The First Princess of Wales by Karen Harper. A real life romance between Joan of Kent and King Edward III. Published under another title in the 80's. Good book...lovely cover too. and lastly Jennifer Ashley's, Highlander Ever After features a princess from a made-up country. Nice book, but the cover features a brawny highlander...bare chested. The hero really is described as the guy on the cover though...for once.
Manda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Gracie's latest, The Stolen Princess is great AND it has a "grandmother-friendly," lovely cover. Oh, and the heroine is a princess...
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Special Title Listings for Royalty: http://www.likesbooks.com/royalty.html
Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne Brockmann wrote a category romance years ago called Undercover Princess. I loved it, which surprised me completely: it has royalty and a supermom nanny heroine, and it is part of a continuity series, all elements I generally detest. But somehow, Brockmann made it work.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would archduchesses, grand duchesses, and other forms of titles in ruling families suffice? They would open up all sorts of fields for you (think of Call Me Madam!)
Nana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Check out the Special Title Listings for Royalty: http://www.likesbooks.com/royalty.html

Thanks for pointing it out, LeeB.

Rosario wrote:
Suzanne Brockmann wrote a category romance years ago called Undercover Princess. I loved it, which surprised me completely: it has royalty and a supermom nanny heroine, and it is part of a continuity series, all elements I generally detest. But somehow, Brockmann made it work

Do you have to read the other books for this one to work? It sounds pretty good otherwise.

veasleyd1 wrote:
Would archduchesses, grand duchesses, and other forms of titles in ruling families suffice? They would open up all sorts of fields for you (think of Call Me Madam!)

I think I'd better stick with "Princess" to make it obvious what I'm doing. I'm mailing the gift and I want to make sure it make sense.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I think she'll get a kick out of this.
Kelly B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in terms of theme for the party, I'd go with Gaelen Foley's Princess. The title kind of says it all and the cover is family-friendly--just a tiara on a purple background.
LLB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Princess Recommendations Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Argh... I always have forum selection paralysis when starting a thread...

I will be going to a princess-themed bridal shower in a couple of weeks and I was going to bring a selection of romance novels about princesses/princes. I don't care about length, genre (even romantica/erotica), or anything like that, although decent covers would be nice because of grandmothers attending the showers. All I ask is that these be good books because my romance-selecting reputation is on the line.

Any good ideas?

Nana -

My favorite romance novel, Castles, features a fictional princess. It's a Julie Garwood book and I can't recommend it highly enough.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strong second for Julie Garwood's Castles. Also, Cordina's Crown Jewel by Nora Roberts.
Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Rosario wrote:
Suzanne Brockmann wrote a category romance years ago called Undercover Princess. I loved it, which surprised me completely: it has royalty and a supermom nanny heroine, and it is part of a continuity series, all elements I generally detest. But somehow, Brockmann made it work

Do you have to read the other books for this one to work? It sounds pretty good otherwise.

Nope, I read only this one myself and had no trouble understanding what was going on. The elements that are part of the continuity series are almost an afterthought, anyway.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I also forgot Karen Templeton's Plain Jane Princess.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for recommending Garwood's Castles. I enjoyed Cordina's Crown Jewel, too. Another Garwood with a heroine posing as a princess that is a favorite is Lyon's Lady, a book with a lot of humor!
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Meg Cabot's "The Princess Diaries" too YA? There's a whole series of them and I can't imagine that they'd shock anyone. I haven't read them, altho I DID see the movie which was cute, but if they're like the rest of Cabot, they're fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: