AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has This Happened to You?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terese

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Has This Happened to You? Reply with quote

I have three main hobbies that I fill my free time with: knitting, reading and online gaming. Lately, it seems like I've been spending all my time online. I've done very little knitting and I can't seem to find a book I want to read. I have a dozen books that I've been wanting to read just waiting for me. I've started The Host by Stephenie Meyer a couple times but couldn't get into it. Same with Marjorie Liu's the Iron Hunt. I did manage to read the first book in Kristen Britain's Green Rider series, but it was slow going. My friends rave about that series. The only thing I've been able to read are some old favorites like the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh. I'm really looking forward to the next book in that series. But I haven't been able to lose myself in anything new.

Has that happened to anyone else? It's driving me crazy. I want to dive into something new, something that will capture my interest and suck me in, but so far, I've been putting books away after the first chapter and sitting back down at my computer. Is this just a reading slump? How can I break out of it?
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone through periods like this myself. I call it being in a "restless" phase! I just can't seem to settle on anything new. It doesn't happen often, but the mood pops up periodically. In my case from a reading perspective, it manifests itself in not being able to start in on a new book or a new author even though I have a pretty decent TBR pile.

My solution is to go back to some of my old favorites on my keeper shelf. I have tried to analyze this behavior and for me I think that sometimes I get nervous starting a new book. I know it will have a happy ending because it is a romance, but I worry about how that will be achieved. Sounds silly, but there it is. After a comfort read or two, I usually get over it. Hope you can get past your mood, too.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terese: I always find something good to read because I get lots of books from the library. If it sounds interesting in the review/summary provided, I put it on reserve. When I finally check it out and start to read it, if it's not all that great, I just go onto the next book.

I agree with TinaBelle's suggestion about going back to your keep shelf. Or maybe try a book in a different genre than you usually read, just to freshen your reading mind.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, though our reasons probably differ. I mostly read paranormals, and it feels like it's the same old authors kicking about, many of which i've tried and don't rate very highly. While waiting for new books by Nalini Singh and Kresley Cole, i've started reading paranormals that are light on the romance side (Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, etc). I feel that paranormal romances are difficult to get right, so my reluctance to pick up some books can be because I don't want to experience that feeling of disappointment.
blossom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posters above Terese.

I really have to switch between genres, or I get into a slump where nothing seems to satisfy. I jump between contemporary romance, historical, paranormal, urban fantasy, romantic suspense and some science fiction...but even so sometimes nothing seems to grab my interest and that is where the keeper shelf comes into play.

Sometimes reading a book that I have not read in years is just what I need to re-kindle the romance LOL.
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terese,
I agree with Blossom...sometimes after reading an excellent author (like Nalini Singh) it's hard for me to start a new book because I know I'll be disappointed...not because the next book is bad, but because it's not what I want to read, which is the next book in the Psy series. Thus, I either switch to a completely different romance genre (such as reading a Jennifer Crusie) or I read a book outside of the genre altogether.

If you haven't read this already, I strongly recommend the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. It does not meet the definition of a romance but the main character is romantically involved. I can't recommend it highly enough and it's bound to get you out of your slump. Also, there are now 4 books in the series (start with Odd Thomas) so if you like it, you can look forward to 3 more!
Lily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

I agree with the posts above, too.

It has happened to me a lot of times. What I usually do is:

- Reread an old favorite

- Read something completely different, like mystery, or horror, or biography

- Give it a break. Donīt worry about it, it will pass and you will feel the magic of books again. Do something different, like going to the movies or theater, shop (clothes, not books), see some friends or family. Get out of the house and off the computer.

Donīt force yourself to read something you`re not really interested in. There are too many great books and too little time.

Hope this helps!
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has This Happened to You? Reply with quote

Terese wrote:

Has that happened to anyone else? It's driving me crazy. I want to dive into something new, something that will capture my interest and suck me in, but so far, I've been putting books away after the first chapter and sitting back down at my computer. Is this just a reading slump? How can I break out of it?

I'm currently in reading purgatory. Just haven't been able to read much romance (in particular) at all lately. Well..."lately" meaning for the last year or so. I've lost interest in some of my old favorites -- Jane Feather, Mary Jo Putney, Suzanne Brockmann, Lisa Kleypas -- and I've tried some of the newer authors -- Sherry Thomas, Elizabeth Hoyt -- and just been disappointed. Nothing is really floating my boat.

Right now the only authors/books that are really holding my attention are all series: In Death by Robb; the Mercy Thompson series by Briggs; and the Psi/Changeling series by Singh. But that's really about it. (Gabaldon's Outlander series is still my favorite, but considering it takes her four years to put out the next book, I spend more time waiting than anything else where her books are concerned.)

A lot of my reading lately has been non-fiction:
A Patriot's History of the United States
Rise to Rebellion (fiction, but based on non-fiction)
The American Revolution
Why the Christian Right is Wrong
The Bedside Torah
Eat, Pray, Love
Healing the Wounded Soul

Even my re-reading has fallen by the wayside lately, and I'm normally a HUGE re-reader. The only thing I've re-read recently is Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy.
Terese

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Has This Happened to You? Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

Even my re-reading has fallen by the wayside lately, and I'm normally a HUGE re-reader. The only thing I've re-read recently is Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy.

I re-read the Invisible Ring a couple nights ago. I had read it a few years ago, thought it was OK and put it away. After a re-read I found myself appreciating it a lot more. I'm really looking forward to the Shadow Queen, which is about grandson-many-generations-later of the main characters in the Invisible Ring.

I have broken out of my reading slump. Although it is hard even now to be excitd about the many book in my to be read pile. I want the ones that haven't been published yet like the new Mercy Thompson and the Shadow Queen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: