AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another author I am interested in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Another author I am interested in Reply with quote

and would like some information on is RACHEL GIBSON. What are her books like? Are they funny with good romance? What would you recommend to start off with?

I just started reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books and I'm really enjoying them. I am looking for other authors who write SIMILAR to her.

Thanks Debbie
Manda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Debbie. I really like Rachel Gibson a lot. I think the crowd favorite is SEE JANE SCORE, which is quite good, I think. I also like THE TROUBLE WITH VALENTINES DAY.

You might want to check out the IF YOU LIKE page:

http://www.likesbooks.com/ifyou.html

It lists quite a few other authors who are comparable to SEP including Elizabeth Bevarly, who I think is very funny and of course, Rachel Gibson.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another author I am interested in Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
and would like some information on is RACHEL GIBSON. What are her books like? Are they funny with good romance? What would you recommend to start off with?

I just started reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books and I'm really enjoying them. I am looking for other authors who write SIMILAR to her.

Thanks Debbie

My favorite of Gibson's is Simply Irresistible.

I don't think there's any author who writes similar to SEP as much as there are authors who have written a book or two which you might find similar.
athena_d

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would DEFINITELY recommend you read Sex, Lies, and Online Dating. Its a wonderful book. Most of her books have good grades here at AAR Smile and Sex Lies and Online Dating actually got an A (A-?).

Gibson's heroes are very alpha and her heroine strong. The chemistry between the characters, the relationship, and the plot all work very well together in her books. It's very believable. I strongly recommend you try her if you like contemporary romance.

I also second Simply Irresistible and See Jane Score
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two of her books today - simply Irresistible and See Jane Score. Hopefully I will like them.

Thanks Debbie
graceC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a bit of hit & miss for me. Thankfully more hits than misses. Some of her alpha heroes come across as simply complete jerks to me (such as the hero in her book 'Daisy's Back In Town', already reviewed here).

My personal favorite is 'Truly Madly Yours' but I second titles already mentioned above.

You might want to check out Susan Andersen too, her writing style is similar to Rachel Gibson. My all time favorite by her is 'Exposure', which got a DIK rating on this board. It's an older book (with really really, good story and characters) so you might have better luck at the library.

Happy reading!
cawm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceC wrote:
She's a bit of hit & miss for me. Thankfully more hits than misses. Some of her alpha heroes come across as simply complete jerks to me (such as the hero in her book 'Daisy's Back In Town', already reviewed here).
My personal favorite is 'Truly Madly Yours' but I second titles already mentioned above.
You might want to check out Susan Andersen too, her writing style is similar to Rachel Gibson. My all time favorite by her is 'Exposure', which got a DIK rating on this board. It's an older book (with really really, good story and characters) so you might have better luck at the library.

Truly Madly Yours is one of favorites too, along with Simply Irresistible and It Must be Love, but I haven't liked her recent books at all, and I've pretty much decided to stop reading her.

Almost anything by Susan Andersen is worth reading though. Exposure is also my favorite, but it's a bit more serious than her Baby books, which are all very funny. (Be My Baby; Baby I'm Yours; Baby Don't Go)
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another author I am interested in Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:

Thanks Debbie

I actually find writers like Marian Keyes and Elizabeth Young to be pretty funny. But they tend to be classified as British Chick Lit, although I don't find that truly descriptive as they both have pretty serious issues in their books and are sophisticated writers -- they don't have characters counting "ciggies and calories."

I'd recommend, "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married," "Asking for Trouble" and "A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)" if you want to laugh.

More on the warmth front -- rather than ha! ha! humor -- I'd recommend Stef Ann Holm's "Girls Night" and Marsha Moyer's "Second Coming of Lucy Hatch." They're a touch of SEP in terms of community and family relationships.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another author I am interested in Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:

Thanks Debbie

True Confessions was my first Rachel Gibson and it remains my favorite. As for Simply Irresitible, I didn't like it the first time I read it, but I read it during my first year of reading romance and I thought the hero was selfish and unlikable, but I gave it another try a couple years later and enjoyed it much more. I think Gibson writes similar heroes to SEP. They tend to keep the heroine at arms length in the beginning and even if they are attracted, they sometimes act standoffish. And in that way, her relationships develop because of communication. In other words...it's a real story of a love forming. It takes a little work.
As for other authors...have you tried Jennifer Cruise? Manhunting and Getting Rid Of Bradley..I thought, were hilarious.She's got a sharp sense of humor too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: