AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mary Spencer's A Lady's Wager (Jane A)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Mary Spencer's A Lady's Wager (Jane A) Reply with quote

Can you believe I actually got to this book. But only because I really want to read the last in the trio of books. I found this book to be Ok. I liked the hero and thought he deserved better. Heroine started out ok but quickly became TSTL. I have to be fair and say I haven't quite finished (2 chapters left) but I can't see how she could change much. Just thought I'd post as we posted about the 1st book, A Dark Wager. Still looking forward to Lad's story though, which I was able to find a copy of. cheri
Jane A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheri,
I agree with you about the heroine in this one. She seemed very patronizing, constantly calling the hero "Jack, dear". That really drove me nuts. And yes, she also had her TSTL moments. She was very managing, but not always very intelligent about how she went about it. Since I loved Dark Wager so much I was hoping for more from this one. I also have Devil's Wager, but haven't started it yet. I got a little turned off by Lady's Wager. Will you post when you read Lad's story, in case you get to it before me? I'm hoping it's better than the second book and I'd enjoy your opinion.
Jane
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:
Cheri,
I agree with you about the heroine in this one. She seemed very patronizing, constantly calling the hero "Jack, dear". That really drove me nuts. And yes, she also had her TSTL moments. She was very managing, but not always very intelligent about how she went about it. Since I loved Dark Wager so much I was hoping for more from this one. I also have Devil's Wager, but haven't started it yet. I got a little turned off by Lady's Wager. Will you post when you read Lad's story, in case you get to it before me? I'm hoping it's better than the second book and I'd enjoy your opinion.
Jane

SPOILERS:

In the middle of the book, when the hero is in a bad area of town to try to save a woman and her child and he's dealing with bad paople and the heroine finds a note he drops and wanders into the chaos and trys to save him really put me under and from there it only gets worse. And yes all her admitted managing of the hero, really drove me nuts. This book really didn't seem like it was written by the same author as DW, which I enjoyed immensly. Now that she's teased us for two books about LAD, I'm really afraid I'm going to be disappointed. I will surely post again after reading, but may be a while b4 that happens. cheri
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about that TSTL decision where she goes into the stews to "help" Jack. Ugh. All in all I'm a little tired of the portrayal of the American heiress as being overly determined and outspoken.

Having said that, I do recall that though this book flirted with several plot points that I don't care for, Mary Spencer wrote it well enough that it was better than it might have been in another author's hands. It was an okay read for me, just disappointing after Dark Wager.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes disappointing is a great word for that book. I was actually ok with her in the beginning brassy American and all. But then when she started to manage she started making some really bad decisions Rolling Eyes . I am very curious about the last book but feel again I'll probably be disappointed, just because the hero's "secret" story has been lingering for 2 books now. I expect some groveling which would bring it up a rating or two, if done right. Very Happy cheri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: