AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Angel by Linda Howard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Death Angel by Linda Howard Reply with quote

About the book: Drea Rousseau is a woman who lives by her wits and beauty -- although she hides the one and highlights the latter in order to become the girlfriend of a rich drug lord. This has never bothered her until one afternoon he sends her world into a tailspin and she finds herself cleaning up the aftermath in the only way she knows how: running. This time, though, she is running with someone else's money and there should be plenty of that to ease her way. However, due to numerous unexpected emotional and physical factors the run does not go how it should and Drea finds herself dead. Fortunately, a second chance at life results in a new Drea and a new chance at love. Will her past let her take that chance or will it come back to haunt her?

All of that sounded wonderful to me when I was reading it on the back cover but the reality didn't quite seem so good. Let me say one thing -- this book was far and away better than "Up Close and Dangerous". In many ways it reminded me of "Killing Time" and "Kiss Me While I Sleep" but overall the book left me feeling dissatisfied. Normally when I grade a book I take several things into consideration. Writing style, characterization, creativity, plot execution, readability. On writing style, I would give it an A; I like Howard's style and she is still top of her game here. The readability, that allusive factor which turns a book from a solid read into a page turner, was an A. I read it fast and couldn't seem to put it down. Creativity is down to a C -- I've seen variations of this plot before and while she did wind up with a different kind of hero, she didn't twist and turn enough to make it her own. The plot execution was also a C -- it worked but a lot of it required leaps of faith and that was a bit of a problem for me. But the characterization was what really brought it down for me - that was a D. I got glimpses into the back ground of the two characters but not much more than that and in this particular book what made these people who they are is vital. I found myself not liking them and not really believing in their HEA. In the end, the grade averages out to a C/C-. That doesn't really seem to capture the book though -- I don't really know what I'd give it since a lot of the crucial parts are above average and I have just that one piece below. I don't even know if I'd recommend it or not. I don't have a driving desire to reread it but think I probably well just to see if I missed something that first go around. Anyone else read this? Thoughts?

maggie b.
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, there's a discussion abt this book which you can find by scrolling down the R-to-R board Smile
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I missed it.

Thanks,
maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: