AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review--Nameless by Debra Webb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Review--Nameless by Debra Webb Reply with quote

I disagree with the review. While the grade given is a 'pass' I think it is much more deserving. Unlike the reviewer I thought the plotting was excellent, involved and easy to follow. The romance was hot, down and dirty...so don't look for hearts and flowers. It certainly was an above average read for me.
jaq

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I disagree with the review as well, Margaret. I'm only two-thirds of the way through, which means the book hasn't hit the point where it 'picked up' for the reviewer, and I'm finding it plenty engrossing so far. Just a matter of taste, of course, but it's a solid B for me so far.
PatW

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a bit surprised by the review - in contrast to quite a few books I've been reading lately Nameless held my attention completely. I liked the characters and became intrigued by the plotting. The simplicity of the "challenges" that the reviewer complained about were actually part of the plot. I'd rate it a B+ myself and ordered Traceless based on how much I enjoyed this one.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Nameless Reply with quote

I picked up Nameless after seeing many positive posts about this book. The problem I had with Nameless was a scene mentioned in the review when Vivian is sent to Hunter's home and he greets her at his door very hungover, rumpled, bleary-eyed, and bare-chested followed by a gorgeous blonde. Vivian is attracted to him while he grossed me out. Why was Vivian attracted to this guy? It sounds self destructive and was an ick factor for me. I am not a prude and have loved many heroes with baggage (for ex. Narni). It was just the way this scene came across to me and it repelled me instead of hooking me in. I see that many other readers found Hunter appealing. I finished the book but think maybe its time for a break from Romantic Suspense. I also wasn't able to relate to Reno's looks in Stuart's Fire and Ice. I don't find the punk look with piercings, tattoos, and waist-length hair attractive. I think a younger reader might appreciate it more than I did. It made me feel like an old fud-LOL.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless ended up being a DNF book for me. The way it began also did not pull me in. The major opposing factor, though, was the writing style of Debra Webb. Although I enjoy no-nonsense, to-the-point type of writing, her style tended to be too abrupt and sharp-edged for me. That's the best way I can explain it. It left me cold. I did think the story had merit, but found I wasn't enjoying the way it was written. I intend to try her next one, just to give her and me the benefit of the doubt.
jaq

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat I was thinking about picking another one of her books. Is this a series (going by the similarity of the titles)?

The opening scene with the hero didn't bother me none, but I know similar scenes in historicals (with the hero and his current mistress) bug some readers.

I'm almost sure I've tried DW previously and the writing never clicked, for whatever reason, this book totally hooked me. I really liked Vivian and Ryan.
PatW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaq wrote:
Pat I was thinking about picking another one of her books. Is this a series (going by the similarity of the titles)?

Traceless hasn't yet arrived in my PO Box from Amazon - when it does I'll let you know if it's a series or not.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Webb Reply with quote

Debra Webb has a new book you can order from eharlequin available now even though it says July:
http://www.eharlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=17198&cid=352
I think its a Silhouette Intrigue
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost done w/Nameless and I have to wonder why it received a lower mark than Traceless. Although I don't think this book is perfect, I kept reading and that's saying a lot as I quit easily (not something I'm proud of...).

Quote:
PatW:
The simplicity of the "challenges" that the reviewer complained about were actually part of the plot.

Agree totally, in fact the easiness of those first challenges created a bit of turmoil for McBride and even led him into thinking that the whole thing wasn't just about him.

Quote:
Tee:
The major opposing factor, though, was the writing style of Debra Webb.

Her style didn't bother me, but believe me, I know what it's like when you're not in sync w/an author's style. There's a number of authors I have a hard time reading and it's often not the story that bothers me, it's the author's "rhythm", if you will, that I can't get in step with.

Quote:
Kayne:
The problem I had with Nameless was a scene mentioned in the review when Vivian is sent to Hunter's home and he greets her at his door very hungover, rumpled, bleary-eyed, and bare-chested followed by a gorgeous blonde. Vivian is attracted to him while he grossed me out. Why was Vivian attracted to this guy?

Actually, she was a redhead Wink , but I get what you're saying. This scene didn't really bother me, I guess b/c he felt very Sawyer-ish to me...I think maybe you have to be a Lostie to understand why I didn't put too much stock into that first impression. Although, I do think that Vivian's feelings of attraction should've been portrayed more of an awareness of McBride rather than outright attraction right away.

There were a few things that didn't sit right w/me:
~ At one point, McBride is checking Vivian out and he makes note of her hair in a "French twist". I guess my bf is a neanderthal b/c when I asked him later if he knew what that was, his reply was "isn't that w/soft ice cream?" Minor, I know, but still.

~I find it hard to believe that Vivian even passed the psych profile to get into the FBI. I know two people who work for the FBI. Both have told me a number of times what the psych eval process was like. I know the book makes a big deal about how Vivian's coped, etc, but I would think that would be a major hurdle to overcome in getting access to field work.

~And the one thing that really got my panties in a wad was the reporter Goodman! WTF? The local news airs a story about an FBI agent who was once a famous rape victim?! Who at that station thought that was a good idea? Not that I think highly of the media, but I thought there was some ethical code about not revealing names of victims! And that was the extent of the news piece!! I realize Webb needed to out Vivian so that the rest of the story could play itself out, but I really think there could've/should've been a better way.

It was that last thing alone that finally made me put the book down last night. I only have about 25-50 pages left, but that whole part really didn't sit well w/me! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by jebe on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Diana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this! It was so gratifying and, well, refreshing that there was absolutely nothing dippy or silly about it. And I say that because I'm really amazed at all the dippy, unbelievable romantic suspense I've been reading lately.

These characters behave like adults. The case they're working on is juicy and well-plotted. The romance works. I won't say it's flawless romantic suspense, but the best I've read in quite a while.

I didn't read the C+ review until after I'd read the book. But I didn't have the problems with it that the reviewer did. The pace was just right IMO and I didn't want to put it down. Strong B/B+ for me.

Jebe, your Sawyer-ish comparison works really well for me!
_
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Nameless last night and I kinda loved it, too.
Diana wrote:
I won't say it's flawless romantic suspense, but the best I've read in quite a while.
I agree w/you, Diana. Looking back I can see there's some major plot holes, but it was such a fast moving story that I really didn't have too much time to dwell on things. It helped that I liked the characters, especially McBride. He's way flawed, but obviously from my Sawyer comparison you can see that I dig that in a guy!

I didn't think it was at all like Traceless and I don't think the books are a series, per se, just some sort of common title thing going on...unless someone else made a connection other than the Alabama setting in both books. I think I'll be looking into Faceless next month, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: