AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Authors Being Pushed to Write Too Much?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Josie Litton Reply with quote

Rosario wrote:

Not really consecutive months, but the first author I remember with a trilogy with books coming out really close together is Madeline Hunter

By Arrangement - June 2000
By Possession - September 2000
By Design - January 2001

Like you say about the Littons, I believe these, too, had already been written (and they were actually released out of chronological order). IMO, it was really good marketing. They also came out with a special low price and really pretty covers.

I think it was a great marketing plan as well. I think Madeline Hunter held on with the back to back release dates of the first four Seducer novels, but I found the quality of Mary Balogh's Bedwyn series lacking--out of the six, I can bluntly say I only count one as enjoyable and even then I fear the lapse of time between my first read of Slightly Scandalous will have painted the book with rose-colored glass. Confused
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you might consider is that unless you are a mega bestseller, two books a year is necessary to make a living. While we all love writing for its own sake, many of us are trying to make a living out of it. Some people naturally write faster than others - like Nora Roberts. Two books a year helps to keep your name in front of readers and build up a readership. Also two books a year is about what it takes to keep things flowing in the royalties department, so perhaps you could say we put pressure on ourselves in that way. And I freely admit that I have not been writing anything like two books a year for a while now and it shows on my royalty statement. So I am slowly pushing myself to get back up to speed. Which means I'm outta here to write a new scene Shocked .

Elizabeth
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
Something you might consider is that unless you are a mega bestseller, two books a year is necessary to make a living. While we all love writing for its own sake, many of us are trying to make a living out of it. Some people naturally write faster than others - like Nora Roberts. Two books a year helps to keep your name in front of readers and build up a readership. Also two books a year is about what it takes to keep things flowing in the royalties department, so perhaps you could say we put pressure on ourselves in that way. And I freely admit that I have not been writing anything like two books a year for a while now and it shows on my royalty statement. So I am slowly pushing myself to get back up to speed. Which means I'm outta here to write a new scene Shocked .

Elizabeth

I totally understand that, and as a reader, I am guilty of twiddling my thumbs impatiently when a favorite author or a new author only release one book a year. But the reason for this discussion stems from the fact that quality has declined for a few authors (once again subjective) when they've published books in too short of time periods.
Terese

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Laura Kinsale has a book all ready to be published but the publishers are wanting her to sign a contract that commits her to multiple books. Now there probably are plenty of writers who would jump at a chance for a multi book contract but Ms Kinsale doesn't like to work that way. It's driving me crazy because I would dearly love to read anything she writes. She has referred to this particular one as light romantic comedy. If I recall correctly, she has said in the past that when she has *had* to write that she feels she does not produce her best work. Besides that, she probably isn't happy with that kind of pressure. I would rather have 1 book every few years from Laura Kinsale than a book every month from some other authors. I own every one of the dozen or so books that she has written, and 3 of them are on my Top 10 all time favorite romance list. You would think that a publisher would be pleased to have a book from a proven author. Love her or hate her, no one says that Ms. Kinsale puts out blah, copy cat books. What one reader adores another may detest. But each of her books is a unique story, peopled by distinctly different characters. Could you confuse Arden Winter with ST Maitland? Is Leda Etoile interchangable with Elena Monteverde?

Silly publishers. We should write to them and complain. I have no problem with a writer putting out a bunch of books in a short timeframe if s/he is OK with that. But I want my authors sane, thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: