AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lowell's Untamed -- audio version is a DIK, too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Lowell's Untamed -- audio version is a DIK, too! Reply with quote

Lowell's 1993 Untamed just produced in audio is outstanding. Narrator Anne Flosnik is fine. She gives it a big reading darn near Shakespearean proportions and provides excellent voice to a large cast of characters with great enthusiasm.

Feminist to the very core of me, I'm not the least bit embarrassed about how much I love this book. This is the take-me-away fantasy done just right. Warrior Dominic Le Sabre (no phallic symbolism here) storms in on his destrier having been awarded a wealthy estate and a virgin bride for service to the hated English king. There are all the familiar Lowellisms here in spades. Heroine Meg is only 19, a humble and selfless healer, beloved by the estate vassals for her selfless devotion to them. Dominic is a scarred warrior who (of course) doesn't believe she's still virgin and scoffs at the Glendruid legends even in the face of some pretty convincing evidence. He does the pet name thing -- calls her "witch" when he's angry and "small falcon" when he's in the mood for love. His big idea to "tame" her is to use the falcon method -- locking her in her room, securing her in gold jesses, and feeding her only by his hand. And, oh dear, he can't love her, and values her only as vessel to provide him many sons. Trouble is there's a catch -- no Glendruid bride can conceive sons without true love in the lovin'.

The audio production is enthusiastic, over the top, and melodramatic to the max. It's a sweeping medieval epic and a most satisfying love story.

I loved every toe-curling moment of it.
roadrunner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this book...just loved it! I haven't reread Untamed in over 10 years and just remembering the ending brings tears to my eyes. When her people brought their valuables to Dominic for him to use for their beloved healer's ransom, and the young boy returns the hard candy he had been given because that was the only thing he had of value.
Oh goodness, I need a Kleenex!
I have never listened to an audio book, but you make this sounds GREAT!
I must try it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: