AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scottish Heroes Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athena_d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Scottish Heroes Recommendation Reply with quote

Hi guys

I just finished Pamela Clare's "Surrender" and Kresley Cole's MacCarrick series and now I am in lovee with scottish heroes (it was their accent and dialogue that did it for me Very Happy)

Anyways I was wondering if you guys can give me some recommendations with heroes from Scotland. Historical, Contemporary, TT, any genre is fine.

I know there's a special title listing on the website for Scottish and Irish heroes but the list is so long and I dont know what to read since I like my romance to be hot and the heroes to have a believable Scottish dialogue. :D

I'd really appreciate the help!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Athena
Retrograde

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Scottish heroes too! Very Happy Drustan MacKeltar from Karen Marie Moning's Kiss of the Highlander is a particular favourite of mine - hubba hubba! She has several more books in her Highlander series, but this is the only one I enjoyed to such a degree that i'd offer a recommendation (with the possible exception of To Tame a Highland Warrior, but I have to be in a particular mood to read that one. It's still worth checking out, though.)

Kresley Cole's A Hunger Like No Other has a Scottish hero called Lachlain who is a Lykae, and I found him appealing in a gritty, ultra-alpha way. He's also slightly out of his mind...but still sexy. Very Happy Book 3 of Cole's series features a fellow Lykae called Bowen, but I can't remember if he had that Scottish vibe or not. I must read it again. *grin*

EDIT: I just remembered the book that got me into Scottish heroes - Tempted by Virginia Henley. Granted, I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I read it in my teens and found it sexy, but annoying at the same time. Henley isn't everyone's cup of tea, and i'd give a very hesitant recommendation for this one. If you're willing to brave purple prose and annoying heroines in your quest for sexy Scottish men, then go for it. Wink

*waits for someone to mention Outlander*
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing Highlander Ever After by Jennifer Ashley. Love Egan...he is quite something. Although, this is part of a series, I suppose you could read it alone. The heroine is from a made-up country (by Ashley) and she is a princess. She has loved Egan since she was 12 (he was 19 or so) when she found him almost dead and wounded, in a ditch. Great book, I 've really enjoyed it More...should I mentione the obvious...Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Jamie is the ultimate Highlander, IMHO. Also, Come The Morning by Shannon Drake. Very good book.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena: Check out the Special Titles Listing for Scottish romances. http://www.likesbooks.com/scotsirish.html

All of the books on the Special Titles Lists have received a minimum grade of B- from AAR reviewers so hopefully you will find some books you like.
Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen Ranney does Scottish books. I've read a few. Some I've really liked, and others I was just so-so about. But they are worth a look.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Julie Garwood's The Bride, The Wedding, The Secret, Saving Grace, and Ransom. Lots of luscious Scottish lairds!

If you like time travel, you might enjoy Lynn Kurland's Stardust of Yesterday, A Dance Through Time, My Heart Stood Still, A Garden in the Rain, Much Ado in the Moonlight, and her latest With Every Breath.

If you like well-researched historical romance, I'd try Marsha Canham's Scottish trilogy set during the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745-46 - The Pride of Lions, The Blood of Roses, and Midnight Honor.

I also enjoyed Patricia Potter's Beloved Stranger, Beloved Warrior, and Beloved Impostor.

I also just read a rather light-hearted time travel by Cindy Miles entitled Highland Knight. Although not a keeper, it was a fun and enjoyable read. She is a fairly new author and I think this is her 3rd book.

And even though it has already been mentioned, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is about as good as it gets for Scottish romance, although as the series progresses the story moves away from Scotland.
athena_d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the recommendations! Gosh what a list, Im so excited I dont know where to start! Very Happy I've already bought half of the books suggested in ebook formats, and the rest on amazon :)

To Retrograde: You're right, Drustan is YUMMY! Very Happy I just finished Kiss of the Highlander tonight (it happened to be the only book suggested in my TBR pile). Im anxious to see how good the series will be Smile
dick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julianna Garnett's "The Scotsman," and "The Laird" are both good. And the Garwood's are unbeatable. And Iris Johansen's "The Magnificent Rogue," too.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More...May McGoldrick wrote a lot of Scottish heroes. The Intended is probably my favoirte, but so many of hers are good. Also, Kathleen Givens..Kilgannon, On A Highland Shore. Has anyone mentioned Sue-Ellen Wellfonder? Her Scottish settings are very good. Tanya Anne Crosby...On Bended Knee, The MacKinnon's Bride..good books too.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
And even though it has already been mentioned, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is about as good as it gets for Scottish romance, although as the series progresses the story moves away from Scotland.

Will 3rd this rec, simply LOVE the Outlander series! I don't think heroes come any better than Jamie. :)

Linda
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say I didn't look at the Special Titles Listing so I'm probably repeating here. I LOVE Scottish heroes too. Karen Ranney's A Promise of Love is a great book. Arnette Lamb, who is no longer with us, wrote a bunch of great Scottish books. Julia London has a trio of Scottish books Highlander Unbound, Highlander in Love and Highlander ? . Kathleen Harrington has a couple books based in Scotland. have fun reading. cheri
jantep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Scottish Heroes Recommendations Reply with quote

Gotta recommend two by Karyn Monk: The Rose and the Warrior and one of my favorites - Once a Warrior.
chrisbean4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: I second...... Reply with quote

I have to second Xina's rec for KILGANNON by Kathleen Givens. I just got On A Highland Shore and I can't wait to start it. This author is wonderful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: