AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for new author

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for new author Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

I'm Aki and new to AAR. I hope that I am in the correct forum. I have signed up with Amazon discussion forum and just CANNOT get an answer to my question. I hope that someone can help me out.

I am looking for a new author. My favorites are Julie Garwood, Heather Graham/Shannon Drake, Elizabeth Lowell, Anne Stuart, Johanna Lindsey, and Tami Hoag, just to name a few.

I have read just about everything from the above ladies and am looking for a new favorite. I like all romance, historical, contemporary, et al., but I am quite strict on the following:

1. NO CHEATING (can be old jealous mistress, but no cheating once H/H meets.

2. No long separations, and

3. Only ALPHA males please (I LOVE bad boys).

I'm looking for monogamous, HOT romances where H/H struggle with their feelings, but then fall in love. I'm only interested in these types of romances and I am sure that there has to be some authors that still write like that.

I realize that Anne Stuart is a little dark, but I love her books. They're all, afterall, monogamous with no separations, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, alpha male.

I hope that you can help me out.

Aki Razz
[/b]
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberly,
I think you'll get A LOT more response if you move this question to Potpourri discussion which is for discussions of books, instead of movies and tv--as this site is. I'm sure people would be willing to give you tons of excellent suggestions.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Kimberly,
I think you'll get A LOT more response if you move this question to Potpourri discussion which is for discussions of books, instead of movies and tv--as this site is. I'm sure people would be willing to give you tons of excellent suggestions.

Hi, Kimberly,

Welcome to AAR! I agree with Lynda X. You would get a lot more responses on the Potpourri or the Reader to Reader forum.

I also suggest that you check out the "Reviews" section of this site (see above). There, you can read about new and older books that have been reviewed on AAR. Also, it you click on "Reader's Choice" above, then click on "If you like . . .", you can find suggestions for authors whose work is similar to those that you have listed.

Kay
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Kimberly,

Moved the topic to the Reader to Reader, where I think it's a better fit. Good luck with the new author search!
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're definitely in the wrong forum, but they'll move you. I do have an author for you...Kresley Cole. I think you migiht like her MacCarrick Brothers series....If You Desire, If You Deceive, If You Desire. All of her books fit what you like...even her paranormals. Alpha heroes all the way. I usually don't read paranormal, but I make and exception for her books. Good luck and welcome to the boards! xina

just to add...the books I listed aren't paranormal, but historical.
athena_d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kimberly
Like you, I also like my romances hot. I just discovered Pamela Clare awhile back and I'm going through her backlist right now.

I've read Surrender, Unlawful Contact, and Hard Evidence. Her love scenes are very hot, the sexual tension is hot, her alpha males are hot and of course you get the friction between the two characters as they try to keep their hands and hearts away from one another.

She's a hidden treasure for me. I'm surprise she isnt popular because her reviews on AAR are pretty decent :)

Also try: Sharie Kohler "Marked by Moonlight". Both H/H struggle with their feelings and their romance is also very hot.

I also second xina's recommendation on Kresley Cole. Her alpha males (especially her scottish ones) are gorgeous and the love scene will make you melt =] Good plot too, imo.

anyways, I hope you enjoy!
Kimberly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies:

Thank you all so much for your help. I can't wait to get started to the UBS.

Kimberly
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third the McCarrick books by Kresley Cole, and throw in a few specific titles by other authors: Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas; Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase (I'm not sure Dain's alpha, but he's definitely a bad boy), and possibly The Last Hellion as well; His Wicked Kiss by Gaelen Foley, and maybe her Ascension books too; and I think A Woman of Virtue by Liz Carlyle might work, and SEP's It Had to be You.

I'm hesitating about The Bronze Horseman because of the no-cheating issue. Kimberly, I'd read the review if I were you and see if it sounds appealing, personally I think it's way too good to miss but it isn't a conventional sort of romance.
graceC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Linda Howard? My personal favorites by her are:

* Mr. Perfect (contemporary, hero is a cop)
* Cry No More (contemporary, hero is an assassin)
* Son of the Morning (time travel, hero is a medieval warrior)
* Dream Man (contemporary, hero is a cop)
* Mackenzie series
* Midnight Rainbow (on the run/adventure story)
* Actually everything by her except All That Glitters and Independent Wife (due to doormat heroines).

Other authors you might like: Judith McNaught, Karen Moning, Shana Abe.
You might also want to check out our 'Special Title Listing' under Reader's Choice where readers listed books under certain themes. I've found many great books through this.

Happy reading!
graceC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add Susan Elizabeth Philips. Her books are funny, heroes alpha, witty dialogues. Everything by her is a hit for me Smile
Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of Lisa Kleypas' books might work for you. For sure the wallflower series: It Happened one Autumn, Secretes of a Summer Night, The Devil in Winter, and Scandal in Spring.

Also another author I think that might work for you is Elizabeth Hoyt. She's one of my favorites.
Kimberly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: New author Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went to the UBS today and bought Kresley Cole, Pamela Clare, and Lisa Kleypas. I'm very excited.

Kimberly
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest Kresley Cole. YUMMY heroes! You girls beat me to it! cheri
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberly, just out of curiousity - which specific titles did you end up buying by each author?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: