AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Vampire Romances
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I decided I couldn't wait for my bookstore to order Dark Prince for me, so I've started with two other Christine Feehan stories: After the Music, a unusually long novella in the anthology A Very Gothic Christmas, and Shadow Game, which I understand is the first book in her "Shapeshifter" series.

I liked the novella well enough, even though the Christmas elements were really corny. I was also pretty dissatisfied with the ending. I understand that much of neo-paganism is harmless, but since the hero's dead wife did hold orgies with a Satanic cult before her death, I think it's all right to let what is evil stay evil. Yet I was impressed by how Feehan stayed in control of all her characters. I'm hoping that it's not a fluke and that she has a real talent for ensemble casts.

As for Shadow Game, I'm only a few pages in. I hesitated about buying this book because I worried that it would leave me as disappointed as James Patterson's Maximum Ride series did . . . but so far the world building is great!

A last note: she likes her psychics and "sensitives," doesn't she? Wink
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know from off the boards recommended Lynsay Sands.

I see from her Web site that she has a VampRom series (which is always good), but the excerpts read a little bit like ChickLit (which is just not my thing).

Opinions? Very Happy
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Someone I know from off the boards recommended Lynsay Sands.

I see from her Web site that she has a VampRom series (which is always good), but the excerpts read a little bit like ChickLit (which is just not my thing).

Opinions? Very Happy


Well, I gaver her a try once but she's what I would consider 'vampire lite' and I like darker vampire stories. So personally her books aren't for me but others may really enjoy them.

Linda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pinkbubble



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only read one Lynsay Sands book Vampires are Forever, and I enjoyed it. It was funny and a little chicklit and is certainly not a dark vampire novel but it was a nice change from some of the others I have been reading.

I would go out to buy another.
_________________
visit Lorraineslibrary.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maddie



Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Location: Tropical Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I just got on the board after a long hiatus and had to chime in. I am also a big fan of the vamp lit, and agree with many of the suggestions already given: Twlilight (good good good!), Sookie Stackhouse series (very comedic and light, but that Eric is SEXY), and the JR Ward Brotherhood series (I like these b/c they remind me a lot of the Anita Blake series. Very dark and heavy with lots of angst, blood, and gore).

Someone also mentioned the Blood Ties series by Jennifer Armintrout which I also found to be very engrossing. I haven't finished the last two books in the series, but I can vouch for 1 and 2.

If you like YA fiction, like the Twilight series, try PC Casts House of Night series. She wrote them with her daughter and they are almost as good as Twilight. Very original premise and believable plot and setting.

One more I don't think I saw mentioned is The Darkwing Chronicles series by Savannah Russe. Vamps are secret agents forced to work for the government. Fun and fast reads. Plots are so so but the character relationship developments keep you coming back.

Hope this helps![/b]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the book Sex and the Single Vampire? I can't remember the author's name. I was in a hurry and just got to skim a bit of the synopsis, but it sounded all right. Still ChickLit-ish, but not quite as "lite" as one by Lynsay Sands.

Has anyone read it or anything else by its author?
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KayWebbHarrison



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1241
Location: SE VA. USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
How about the book Sex and the Single Vampire? I can't remember the author's name. I was in a hurry and just got to skim a bit of the synopsis, but it sounded all right. Still ChickLit-ish, but not quite as "lite" as one by Lynsay Sands.
Has anyone read it or anything else by its author?


The author is Katie MacAlister. I liked her story in My Big, Fat Supernatural Honeymoon, so I tried A Girl's Guide to Vampires, to which Sex and the Single Vampire is the sequel. A Girl's Guide is also the story of how the couple in the honeymoon story got together. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the book. It seemed very Chick-Lit to me; the characters, dialogue and situations were becoming more silly than amusing. I was still in the set-up stage of the book--which did seem to be lasting a long time--, but I could see that it was heading for dark times. I did not finish that book.

Kay

Edited to add: Check our Skwright's post from today on the Worse Romance thread on this forum. She writes about A Girl's Guide too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Manda



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 586

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy Love has a vampire series that's not quite as light as Mary Janice Davidson or Lyndsy Sands, but not dark either. The first one is Fangs for the Memories and was a lot of fun. The hero, Rhys, is a vampire who owns a nightclub in NYC and suddenly reverts back to his Regency England self (which is when he was turned) when he meets his mate. Pretty funny and pretty dark at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Schola wrote:
How about the book Sex and the Single Vampire? I can't remember the author's name. I was in a hurry and just got to skim a bit of the synopsis, but it sounded all right. Still ChickLit-ish, but not quite as "lite" as one by Lynsay Sands.
Has anyone read it or anything else by its author?


The author is Katie MacAlister. I liked her story in My Big, Fat Supernatural Honeymoon, so I tried A Girl's Guide to Vampires, to which Sex and the Single Vampire is the sequel. A Girl's Guide is also the story of how the couple in the honeymoon story got together. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the book. It seemed very Chick-Lit to me; the characters, dialogue and situations were becoming more silly than amusing. I was still in the set-up stage of the book--which did seem to be lasting a long time--, but I could see that it was heading for dark times. I did not finish that book.

Kay

Edited to add: Check our Skwright's post from today on the Worse Romance thread on this forum. She writes about A Girl's Guide too.


Hey, thanks! Very Happy It looks like I'll be bypassing MacAllister as well as Sands, though.
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group