AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PTSD in Iraq/Afghanistan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: PTSD in Iraq/Afghanistan Reply with quote

The cover story in last week's Time Magazine was "America's Medicated Army." The article detailed how many soldiers are being prescribed anti-depressants, not only for depression, but for PTSD. Accounts are that something like 300,000 soldiers have or will have PTSD, despite efforts among some VA officials to suggest lesser diagnoses in order to save money. While anti-depressants were once thought to work on PTSD, later research indicates they may be ineffective. For those who wondered, negative psychological affects increase with each added tour of duty.
Laura V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An overlapping issue is "mild traumatic brain injury":
Quote:
The rate of combat-related brain injuries in servicemembers returning from the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan appears to be highter than in previous conflicts. Nearly 30% of all patients with combat-related injuries seen at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from 2003 to 2005 sustained a TBI. Blast injuries are a significant cause of TBIs. TBI is often associated with severe multiple trauma, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or undiagnosed concussions. (DHCC Deployment Health Clinical Center)
Here's a bit more information about
Quote:
"mild traumatic brain injury" (mTBI) - which can lead to memory loss, depression and anxiety. [...]

The US army says up to 20% of its soldiers and marines have suffered mTBI and the condition has been designated as one of four "signature injuries" of the Iraq war by the US defence department. According to US neurologists, mild brain injuries can occur when a soldier gets a blow on the head or is close to an explosion. The use of roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan has put troops at risk, and experts say that even the most advanced helmets cannot protect the brain from shock waves. [...]

Advances in brain scanning have revealed that soldiers can sustain bruising and blood clots on the brain, even if there is no visible injury.

If the condition is not diagnosed it can lead to long-term problems - from depression and anxiety to violence and relationship break-up. (from the Guardian)
And there's more on that 20% figure here:
Quote:
As many as 20 percent of U.S. combat troops who fought in Iraq or Afghanistan leave with signs they may have had a concussion, and some do not realize they need treatment, Army officials said Thursday.

Concussion is a common term for mild traumatic brain injury, or TBI. While the Army has a handle on treating more severe brain injuries, it is "challenged to understand, diagnose and treat military personnel who suffer with mild TBI," said Brig. Gen. Donald Bradshaw, chairman of a task force on traumatic brain injury created by the Army surgeon general.

LLB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura V wrote:
An overlapping issue is "mild traumatic brain injury":
Quote:
The rate of combat-related brain injuries in servicemembers returning from the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan appears to be highter than in previous conflicts. Nearly 30% of all patients with combat-related injuries seen at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from 2003 to 2005 sustained a TBI. Blast injuries are a significant cause of TBIs. TBI is often associated with severe multiple trauma, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or undiagnosed concussions. (DHCC Deployment Health Clinical Center)
Here's a bit more information about
Quote:
"mild traumatic brain injury" (mTBI) - which can lead to memory loss, depression and anxiety. [...]

The US army says up to 20% of its soldiers and marines have suffered mTBI and the condition has been designated as one of four "signature injuries" of the Iraq war by the US defence department. According to US neurologists, mild brain injuries can occur when a soldier gets a blow on the head or is close to an explosion. The use of roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan has put troops at risk, and experts say that even the most advanced helmets cannot protect the brain from shock waves. [...]

Advances in brain scanning have revealed that soldiers can sustain bruising and blood clots on the brain, even if there is no visible injury.

If the condition is not diagnosed it can lead to long-term problems - from depression and anxiety to violence and relationship break-up. (from the Guardian)
And there's more on that 20% figure here:
Quote:
As many as 20 percent of U.S. combat troops who fought in Iraq or Afghanistan leave with signs they may have had a concussion, and some do not realize they need treatment, Army officials said Thursday.

Concussion is a common term for mild traumatic brain injury, or TBI. While the Army has a handle on treating more severe brain injuries, it is "challenged to understand, diagnose and treat military personnel who suffer with mild TBI," said Brig. Gen. Donald Bradshaw, chairman of a task force on traumatic brain injury created by the Army surgeon general.

One of the reasons I get so angry about "minimal" casualties is that they don't take into consideration injuries, and in particular, brain injuries. The result of this war has been an incredible number of service men and women who previously would have died of their injuries but are now living with physical, emotional, and mental trauma that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the reports of the casualty figures from Viet Nam: deaths in the thousands and even more injured. The number of deaths in Iraq has been much lower, but the number of lives tragically altered has been astronomically higher. How can we not spend as much to take care of the injured--mentally as well as physically--as we have to wage the war?
Kay
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can we not spend as much to take care of the injured--mentally as well as physically--as we have to wage the war?

Because the current administration doesn't give a damn. I've seen reports of the kinds of conditions the veteran hospitals are like and they are absolutely horrifying. And in MNSHO, the current leader of the US is a dim witted fool who has made the world a Very Scary Place.
My heart breaks for the lives lost and destroyed forever and families torn apart - all because of.........what? Is Iraq a better place now? Are the people better off? Are they happier? The answer to all those questions is a resounding no.
And at the risk of butting my nose in where perhaps it shouldn't be - as I'm not American, one of the two people running for the US Presidency wants to stay there. This makes no sense to me.
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unfortunate thing about the Iraq War is that to some people it's a resounding success! We went there for the oil and we now control the oil fields. Certain companies are making big bucks off the war so they are laughing all the way to the bank. So in some circles, it's a good thing and in those circles they want a continued presence in Iraq which is why McCain wants to stay a 100 years. Unfortunately, for our country those circles are in power and will do whatever they can to stay in power. The next few months are going to be very interesting. Will Bush decide to bomb Iran? He sure is talking about it. If we go to war there is a chance he will try to suspend the Constitution. Could happen.

Nothing has gone right in America since the 2000 election. When you subvert the system, chaos happens and that's what we have. How many Americans will stand up this time if there's a problem with the presidential election(if it's held)? I just hope the powers- that-be realize we need a thorough house cleaning to get America back on track. Unfortunately, I am not that optimistic.
LLB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Even *I* don't buy into that one Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
The unfortunate thing about the Iraq War is that to some people it's a resounding success! We went there for the oil and we now control the oil fields. Certain companies are making big bucks off the war so they are laughing all the way to the bank. So in some circles, it's a good thing and in those circles they want a continued presence in Iraq which is why McCain wants to stay a 100 years. Unfortunately, for our country those circles are in power and will do whatever they can to stay in power. The next few months are going to be very interesting. Will Bush decide to bomb Iran? He sure is talking about it. If we go to war there is a chance he will try to suspend the Constitution. Could happen.

Nothing has gone right in America since the 2000 election. When you subvert the system, chaos happens and that's what we have. How many Americans will stand up this time if there's a problem with the presidential election(if it's held)? I just hope the powers- that-be realize we need a thorough house cleaning to get America back on track. Unfortunately, I am not that optimistic.

Karen -

As much as *I* think his presidency has subverted the Constitution, I don't believe Bush will try and suspend it. Wink Even in light of what the Supreme Court did earlier this week - and his Justice Department's arrogant response.

My husband and I were talking about this at dinner last night. What we've mostly experienced in the past seven years has been a most remarkable transfer of wealth in the nation; from the government to the wealthy, by way of government contracts, many of them no-bid. In the reverse of communism, it's actually close to facism.

I don't know how Bush sleeps at night - why Laura doesn't just sock him in the eye - and wonder how his father feels knowing that the Constitution he served in so many different functions, seems to be no more than a piece of toilet paper to his son.

I know I could say this to a good number of Americans, and they'd say I was nuts, that Bush is a great hero...he's protecting us from Islamofacists...but I think those people have their heads in the sand.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling the coming months leading up to the presidential election are going to get scary ugly - to an extent we've never seen before.
I've watched in sadness as our neighbours to the south have become a country divided along political lines.
And I've often wondered too, how the president can sleep at night. Don't all those countless deaths and ruined lives weigh on his mind?
And sadly - that's just the tip of the iceberg.
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kristie(J)And I've often wondered too, how the president can sleep at night. Don't all those countless deaths and ruined lives weigh on his mind?
And sadly - that's just the tip of the iceberg.[/quote]

Bush has never paid a consequence for anything in his life. His daddy has bailed him out or his Daddy's friends. Must be nice to go through life having someone else clean up your messes for you. This is why he can sleep at night. Also there is talk that he is a sociopath as well as being so zoned out on medication that he isn't even aware of what is going on. So between these two evaluations of him, one can see where he might be oblivious.
LLB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: About Bush Reply with quote

Something interesting in the Matt Taibbi book I reviewed a couple of weeks ago; members of both political parties are so frustrated by their pack of power to change anything, that we've become convinced the other side is not only incompetent, but all-out evil.

He went to great lengths creating a fake conversation that might have happened between Cheney, the owner of the WTC, and a couple of the neo-cons as a diabolical scheme hatched more than a decade before 9-11. It was absolutely a brilliant piece of writing, but it popped into my head when I read your latest post, Karen.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: About Bush Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
Something interesting in the Matt Taibbi book I reviewed a couple of weeks ago; members of both political parties are so frustrated by their pack of power to change anything, that we've become convinced the other side is not only incompetent, but all-out evil.

He went to great lengths creating a fake conversation that might have happened between Cheney, the owner of the WTC, and a couple of the neo-cons as a diabolical scheme hatched more than a decade before 9-11. It was absolutely a brilliant piece of writing, but it popped into my head when I read your latest post, Karen.

It seems like we've become so polarized in our politics that we've become "all or nothing" which is a shame. Both political parties have good attributes to attract people to them but unfortunately we've gotten off track. So we demonize the other party. It would be nice to have civility back in politics where our differences doesn't make the other side evil. It would be nice if the country could become more moderate but that won't happen when the extreme side of any party has controlling interest.

One of my friends ran for local office which is non-partisan. She knocked on a door where an elderly couple asked what party she belonged to. She told them the race was non-partisan but they told her they would never vote for a Democrat because Democrats are immoral. Where did they get this? Church, political mail, wherever but they believed it. So they said they only voted Republican. The funny thing is that they are what we call the group that "lives poor and votes rich" thinking that someday they are going to have money. Well this couple missed the boat. They said they were Christians and could never vote for a Democrat because none of them are Christian. Definitely "either-or" "all-or-nothing" with this misguided couple. This type of "programming" is getting us in trouble. Of course, it makes it a lot easier for a person to vote. You don't have to think about the issues or ask questions. You just vote a straight ticket.

I know a Republican big-wig of the local party admit that Republicans can get elected but they can't govern. At least he's willing to admit it. And when you get to know the candidates and office holders thoroughly on both sides of the aisle, heaven help our democracy. I don't like being pessimistic but most Americans are not ready for democracy. Most don't have a clue about their responsibilities as voters. But then we get what we deserve. Unfortunately for those who are aware suffer as well.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Even *I* don't buy into that one Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
My husband and I were talking about this at dinner last night. What we've mostly experienced in the past seven years has been a most remarkable transfer of wealth in the nation; from the government to the wealthy, by way of government contracts, many of them no-bid. In the reverse of communism, it's actually close to facism.

We are literally bankrupting our country. Massive money is being transferred out of the country and there is no accounting for it. What bugs me is that corporations are more important than the citizens of this country. Since when does corporate welfare matter more than Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs. These social programs are being touted as bankrupting the country but no one says anything about the help corporations receive in this country. And the reason being is that corporations give big, big bucks to our legislators on both the federal and state level. Look at the financials for most incumbents and see who is contributing to their campaigns. It's PAC money from big business.

My friend who is running against a one-term incumbent is raising a 1/3 of what the other guy has already raised. The incumbent has only raised 2% from our district, another 3 % from the county and the other 95% from PACs and special interests throughout the state and out of the state.
Now does the incumbent really care about the people in his district? You tell me when only 2% has given to his campaign. The funny thing is that he doesn't even own property in the district. He lives with his fiance in her home that just happens to be in the district. He touts family values, isn't married and has a Christian Coalition survey that would make any conservative proud.

He beat my other friend who ran against him two years ago by less than 3,000 votes out of 50,000 votes cast. He raised $160,000.00 to my friend's $28,000.00 for a job that pays $29,000.00 annually. Every one told us we were wasting out time(we thought otherwise) but we came pretty close considering.

My friend who is running this time has a fair shot as he is running against an incumbent who is not liked by a lot of folks in his own party. So we will see.

But the money is definitely a problem in politics today when the emphasis is the money, the raising of it and what it means about a candidate.

Capitalism is fine until it gets out of control. That's when it needs to be leased. We're seeing it in it's worst form and no one is doing anything about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: