AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Happening...M. Night Shyamalan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: The Happening...M. Night Shyamalan Reply with quote

This movie was..very odd. The premise is that plants are angry over global warming so they are releasing a chemical to certain groups of humans to prompt them to kill themselves. They do this by jumping off buildings, hanging themselves, sticking glass in their eyes (lovely) and let's not forget the women poking herself in the neck with her hairpin. I didn't watch any of that...I had my eyes closed, but opened them during the glass-in-the-eye thing. yuck. I love M. Night's movies...The Sixth Sense is on my top ten list, so I was looking forward to this. Also, the dialogue reminded me of a Dick and Jane book...See Jane run. See Dick run. See Dick and Jane run. (ho-hum) at one point 4 people were stading together discussing what they were going to do...standing in front of a house. 5 minutes of discussion and guy says..."Oh look, there's a house!!" The audience was laughing in the wrong places. I always know a movie has gone awry when that happens.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adored "The Sixth Sense," and have gone to a couple of his movies after that, but not his last two because of the awful reviews. It AMAZES me when someone is able to mount a production, involving millions of dollars, on a bomb and apparently not realize it! What gets in the way of such a realization? Ego? You'd think that someone as talented as he is, someone capable of writing such a superb movie, would realize the problems of the current script and fix them. It's a mystery.
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally love this director/producer too but the last 2(Lady in the Water and The Village) were bad. My oldest son,18, just saw it and said it was terrible. He said the acting(Mark Walberg) was horrible. And I couldn't get over the plants? Scary plants, huh Confused ? I won't be seeing this one I don't think. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I normally love this director/producer too but the last 2(Lady in the Water and The Village) were bad. My oldest son,18, just saw it and said it was terrible. He said the acting(Mark Walberg) was horrible. And I couldn't get over the plants? Scary plants, huh Confused ? I won't be seeing this one I don't think. cheri

I sort of liked The Village, but didn't see Lady in the Water. I always had good intention to watch it at some point, but didn't, because of the horrendous reviews. And this movie...it's not that the plants were scary. At one point they were actually running from the wind that carried the chemical. Ah...running from the wind..such a useless, stupid thing to do. Who came up with this stuff??? And it was overly violent and bloody too. I knew we were in trouble when my daughter answered her phone as we were walking into the theatre...the conversation went..."I'm at the movie with my mom and dad. The Happening. Oh, you didn't like it?" After she hangs up she says..."Mandy says it kind of gorey." and this from a friend who is studying to be a nurse, and blood and gore don't bother her in the least. I knew it had to bad at that point.
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
cheri wrote:

I sort of liked The Village, but didn't see Lady in the Water. I always had good intention to watch it at some point, but didn't, because of the horrendous reviews. And this movie...it's not that the plants were scary. At one point they were actually running from the wind that carried the chemical. Ah...running from the wind..such a useless, stupid thing to do. Who came up with this stuff??? And it was overly violent and bloody too. I knew we were in trouble when my daughter answered her phone as we were walking into the theatre...the conversation went..."I'm at the movie with my mom and dad. The Happening. Oh, you didn't like it?" After she hangs up she says..."Mandy says it kind of gorey." and this from a friend who is studying to be a nurse, and blood and gore don't bother her in the least. I knew it had to bad at that point.

I think a lot more could have been done with The Village. And after experiencing Signs, The Sixth Sense, well, it came off as not as authentic, for lack of a better word, than his previous films. I couldn't even make it to the end of TLITW and unfortunatly I bought the DVD instead of renting Crying or Very sad . I won't do that again. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[

I think a lot more could have been done with The Village. And after experiencing Signs, The Sixth Sense, well, it came off as not as authentic, for lack of a better word, than his previous films. I couldn't even make it to the end of TLITW and unfortunatly I bought the DVD instead of renting Crying or Very sad . I won't do that again. cheri[/quote]

I liked Signs very much too cheri. As for The Village...the hopeless romantic in my liked the love story between Joaquin and whoever the actress was. I really, really liked it, and didn't expect to at all.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard too many bad things now about The Happening and probably won't see it now, but the premise itself doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I totally dig it.

It's easy for me to think of Mother Nature as a sentient being, busily cooking up viruses and extreme bacteria and other baddies, and unleashing earthquakes and tornadoes and hurricanes and floods and such as a way of ridding herself of the parasitic pestilence that is the human race. I can easily imagine her saying, "There are too many of them and they're destroying me! I've got to figure out a way to wipe some of them out so I have a chance to heal and recover." I think of it as survival instint. Survival through population control, I guess.

So having the plants emit some kind of toxin that causes people to kill themselves is totally within my scope of believability. For a movie, at least.

I've also read that the original title for the movie was The Green Effect, and the review I read that mentioned this said that (the reviewer thought) the movie should have kept that title.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't plants also the villains in The Day of the Trifids?

Kay
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Weren't plants also the villains in The Day of the Trifids?

Kay

Yes! LOL! I was going to mention that movie. I watched it with my best friend when I was much too young. The Triffids plants were controlled by aliens, where The Happening plants came across this idea all on their own. Intellectual greenery! Actually I agree with Nifty, that the plot could have been very cool, but the dialogue really stunk. Too bad, it could have been a nice quirky film, that I probably would have enjoyed. (subtract 1/2 the violence and gore too)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: