AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hannah Howell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juliette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Hannah Howell? Reply with quote

I've happend upon two titles by her, so of course I went right to the reviews here. Unfortunately, only two of her books (not the titles I have) and one anthology were reviewed, none above a C. The teaser page just inside of Highland Kiss is beautiful and promises good nuanced writing, so I'm thinking maybe this one is pretty good? The other is upstairs and I can't remember the title. It's the one with a midieval couple on the cover, the woman on the man's lap.

Any thoughts or recs to start with?
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started reading romance, I read a ton of Hannah Howell. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, but off the top of my head I really liked, The Conquerer, Beauty and the Beast and Elfking's Lady (Elfking is her horse). If I read them today, I'm not sure I would love them as much, but it's possible. I've read a number of the HIGHLAND titles too, but right now...can't remember which. One thing about Howell...90% of the time, she's got her h/h in bed at about 60 pages...lol. I began to notice that detail after reading her books, one right after the other....and I didn't mind in the least. Fun books for the most part.
dick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as xina reports, the very early Howells and the earliest of the Highland books are better by far than the latest ones. In fact, I've suspected for the last 3 or 4 titles that they're ghost-written; neither the style nor the diction sound like the earlier Howells to me. I agree too that the Conqueror's Kiss and Elfking's Lady, along with Only for You and Amber Flame are her best. There have been a number of re-issues in the last couple of years, usually with different titles.
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the first two Howell's I read - Highland Bride and Highland Vow. They seemed very fresh and different. Ironically, just about everything I've read by her since then has seemed exactly like those two.

I was vaguely amused when recently I read a book by her that seemed so familiar I was positive I'd read it. It turned out that I had actually read *the sequel* which has an almost identical plot. Confused
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[neither the style nor the diction sound like the earlier Howells to me. I agree too that the Conqueror's Kiss and Elfking's Lady, along with Only for You and Amber Flame are her best. -

Actually, the title is UNCONQUERED. Looking on Amazon, many of the older titles seem to have different covers, so it is hard for me to recognize them. Unconquered has a hero named Drogo...a medieval lord...very good book with a decent relationship with the heroine. I remember liking it very much. I enjoyed Amber Flame too. I think it is the last book in a trilogy?
dick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to xina: Right; Unconquered is the medieval set in England; she also wrote another with a Scots setting titled The Conqueror's Kiss. I liked Unconquered OK, but don't think it was as good as those I listed. The only other medieval set in England--although close to the border--is Only for You, the heroine of which belongs to a fascinating family.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
to xina: Right; Unconquered is the medieval set in England; she also wrote another with a Scots setting titled The Conqueror's Kiss. I liked Unconquered OK, but don't think it was as good as those I listed. The only other medieval set in England--although close to the border--is Only for You, the heroine of which belongs to a fascinating family.

I'll have to try that title dick. I haven't read Howell in a long time, but did enjoy her very much when I did. Three more titles...Reckless, written as Anna Jennett is good, Highland Hearts, and one of her westerns...A Taste Of Fire.
cheri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot of her for a while too but then started to get confused as to how they were all related togther. She writes about one family and they keep getting connected. I got aggravated too, like dick said, when she started to reissue books with different titles. You may end up reading duplicate! Agh! Honestly, I can't remember anything about any of her books. I would have to say the "C" grades are probably right on. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I read a lot of her for a while too but then started to get confused as to how they were all related togther. She writes about one family and they keep getting connected. I got aggravated too, like dick said, when she started to reissue books with different titles. You may end up reading duplicate! Agh! Honestly, I can't remember anything about any of her books. I would have to say the "C" grades are probably right on. cheri

Well, I think I like her books more than you do cheri, but I do agree that it's terribly confusing to keep track of these books. All those Highland this and Highland that. And then they go and change the covers, so I have no idea of most of what I've read, except for the few that really stuck in my mind. Those that I really enjoyed. I haven't read her in a couple years...at least. I have been tempted to try again with her more recent titles but I think I've grown out of her writing...possibly.
Juliette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually have Highland Kiss (and I think it may not even exist) I have Only For You and Highland Promise. Only For You is from 1995 and Highland Promise is 1999.

I guess what I'm gathering is a number of them are good but she gets very repetitive, and her more recent are not up to standard.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:
I don't actually have Highland Kiss (and I think it may not even exist) I have Only For You and Highland Promise. Only For You is from 1995 and Highland Promise is 1999.

I guess what I'm gathering is a number of them are good but she gets very repetitive, and her more recent are not up to standard.

I first noticed Howell years ago with Only For You, I think it was. I loved it. If I remember correctly, that was the only one from that period of hers that I truly connected with, though. It sparkled while most everything else I found left me considerably left than impressed by either the plots or the characters.

I would not say they were or are repetitive for that very reason, however. I distinctly remember there was quite a range in the plots. Didn't she have one about backwoodsmen in Kentucky? Or am I thinking of the wrong author?

Anyway, I basically stopped reading her until I picked up Highland Warrior and really enjoyed it. So, I started checking out her current crop, this time with more success than before. If anything I believe her overall tone has definitely taken a turn more in keeping with Only For You. This is not a bad thing because there were some good things in that book.

Primarily, in the new books, I've run across a lot of plot descriptions that just don't appeal to me but some of them have and I've mostly enjoyed the ones I've gotten and read. Since I do pick and choose pretty much by plot, and especially with her, claims of repetitiveness only makes my eyebrows rise.

Then again, that's nothing new. Wink
Juliette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm almost halfway through Only For You, Saxon and Boltof's story, and, unfortunately, I'm not loving it. I'm losing interest in the characters, the story is flat and something about it seems . . . for lack of a better description, cartoonish. It's not a terrible book, it's just eh. I suppose it could get better, but maybe it won't. Maybe I just chose a title that doesn't resonate with me. I'll probably try another at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: