AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Young Adult Romantic Fiction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terese

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Young Adult Romantic Fiction Reply with quote

I was just glancing the the special titles listings and one of them is "Young Adult Fiction." It looks like it hasn't been updated in several years. I read thru the books listed and many of them are my personal favorites. But most of my all time favorites are not listed. Here are some (in no particular order) of the ones that I didn't see included on that list:

Moccasin Trail by Ellise Jarvis McGraw
Mara, daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
Cat in the Mirror by Mary Stolz

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

ANYthing by Sally Watson, especially
*Jade
*Hornets's Nest
*Lark
*Loyal and the Dragon - includes some of my favorite characters from previous books
*Linnet

Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce

Most of these titles are really dating me, I know. I could go on but I don't want to take all the good ones.

What books would you include as your all time favorite young adult fiction?
Bonwilsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, definitely The Blue Sword! That is my all time favorite book!

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine may be for the younger crowd, but it is fun and romantic.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

Always the first YA Romance to come to mind is The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer. The heroine is a brainy nerd who loves English and is trying to write her own Romance novel: in the process, she both makes fun of and acknowledges her debt to a lot of Romance stereotypes. I first read this book in high school and immediately bought a copy for a Romance-loving friend. She loved it, too, and lent it to other like-minded readers. Very Happy

There are Romantic elements woven through Madeleine L'Engle's series about the Austin family. Vicky meets Adam in the third book, A Ring of Endless Light and their relationship continues in Troubling a Star. (It would be an understatement to say that L'Engle doesn't let the Romance overpower the main story. Confused Sometimes I think that she deliberately suppresses it, but then again, why would she? Rolling Eyes )
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Meg Cabot's All-American Girl. That was a good one.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vicky meets Adam in the third book, A Ring of Endless Light

Love that one.

A lot of my favourite YA novels feature a romance in them, but they're not necessarily the main plotline, so I wouldn't consider them romantic fiction.

I'm not sure if Romance of the Limberlost would count as romantic fiction.

Also, there's one I remember liking growing up that I can't remember the title of to save my life. The heroine is chubby and I think she works at a restaurant or something, and her love interest is really attractive. She's surprised when he starts to like her, but they end up dating.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: