AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Feedback on Lisa Kleypas Contemporaries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utoeid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for Feedback on Lisa Kleypas Contemporaries Reply with quote

Hey all,

Has anyone read the 2 Lisa Kleypas contemporaries (Sugar Daddy and Blue Eyed Devil)?

She is one of my favorites but I can't get into how she has written in that whole first person perspective thing. Confused
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Daddy really, really sucked IMO. I thought it was like a very bad country song, except no one killed the heroine's dog or married her sister.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read Sugar Daddy, but I posted about Blue-Eyed Devil in its thread. There was something a bit off about it that I still can't put my finger on; it's almost like there were times when I was expecting it to be an old Western or 80s contemporary. Strange character names, stilted dialogue, a truly awful ex-husband who became a little too cartoon-y villanous for me... I was definitely underwhelmed.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved, Sugar Daddy. I bought Blue Eyed Devil weeks ago and will...finally, be starting it in the next few days after I've finished the books I'm reading now. I have to admit, I was a skeptic, thinking that a very successful historical romance author couldn't write a contemporary setting, but I was wrong...the writing was lovely, and I was impressed. I'm very anxious to start Blue Eyed Devil.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty hesitant about reading her contemps because I'm such a huge fan of her historicals. I just didn't believe I could deal with the transition AND, I usually can't stand first person POV. However, I took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised. They were both enjoyable but I can't say they come close to her historicals in terms of the depth of emotion. While I think her writing is still excellent, I think that has more to do with the fact that we only see the story through one person's eyes (which is my main problem with first person books).

I tried Sugar Daddy when it came out in paperback, because I didn't want to dive into the unknown at the hardcover price, but once I finished it I bought Blue Eyed Devil in hardcover lol

So this whole long story comes down to: maybe you should try Sugar Daddy from the library? Or since its in paperback it wouldn't hurt so much if you buy and dislike than if it was in hardcover? I thought they were ok Smile
Lindareads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Sugar Daddy was just wonderful. Probably one of the best books I've ever read. It hooked me from the first page and that doesn't happen very often lately. I started it one evening and finished it up the next day.

I was expecting more from Blue-Eyed Devil, after loving Sugar Daddy. I didn't like the heroine, who had no backbone, the evil EX was way over the top, and I thought that Hardy deserved a much better match.

Can't wait for the next Kleypas contemporary though. I love her writing.

Linda
sanalayla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hesitant, at first, but ended up buying the paperback of "Sugar Daddy" because I was bored and wanted something to read one weekend.

I was blown away. I loved it. However, I should tell you - upfront - that it's not a typical romance novel. It reads more like chick-lit. The story starts when Liberty (the main character) is about 14 years old and gives her whole life story from that point onwards. There's some romance, but the primary focus is just on how Liberty survives and what's going on in her life. The hard-core romance and sexual tension doesn't start until the last 30 pages or so.

I read a lot of chick-lit and I've been kind of burned out on romances lately, so it worked for me. I liked Liberty, so I enjoyed reading about her outside of her romance issues.

Now, after how much I loved "Sugar Daddy", I went and splurged on "Blue Eyed Devil" in hardcover. I regretted it. I HATED it. I thought it was a very cliche contemporary romance. You know the kind - the main hero/heroine are all about the sex. If "Sugar Daddy" didn't have enough sex and was not enough of a romance novel, "Blue Eyed Devil" makes the mistake of focusing too much on sex and striving to be too much of a romance novel. The hero is a very generic romance hero. At times, it almost read like a Harlequin in first person narrative. The girl is guilty of the "To Stupid to Live Syndrome" and is a door mat. Very much a damsel in distress. It's weird when you're reading a book in first person and you can't stand the narrator. But that's what happens in this book.

I don't regret reading "Blue Eyed Devil" because I did want to continue the story I started with "Sugar Daddy". And Kleypas, for the most part, is a decent enough writer that you want to finish her books even when you're not happy with them. But I DID regret putting down the $$ for hardcover. I wish I had gotten it from the library.

But, you know, if she writes a book on the next sibling (Joe), I'll be first in line to buy it if it gets good reviews. Because I liked that character and I think that Kleypas did, as well. She wrote him well, so I'm interested in reading more about his story.

Anyway, those are my $0.02.

Lindareads wrote:
I thought Sugar Daddy was just wonderful. Probably one of the best books I've ever read. It hooked me from the first page and that doesn't happen very often lately. I started it one evening and finished it up the next day.

I was expecting more from Blue-Eyed Devil, after loving Sugar Daddy. I didn't like the heroine, who had no backbone, the evil EX was way over the top, and I thought that Hardy deserved a much better match.

Can't wait for the next Kleypas contemporary though. I love her writing.

Linda

That's funny. You said it - in short - what I took forever to explain. Should have read your post first.
mamaofthree1963

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved Sugar Daddy, intensely disliked Blue-Eyed Devil.

I agree with the lady above in her synopsis of the heroine in the follow-up. Not much there to dislike but neither was there much to like. Sorta struck me like a wet dishrag. Blech.
panthercrawl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny you should ask this. I tried once again to get through the first chapter of Sugar Daddy this weekend and couldnt do it. This is my third attempt. I am honestly bored by it. I know in the end I will suck it up and make it through because I love LK. But it definately isnt grabbing me at the start.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the people here who say they loved Sugar Daddy, but definitely did not like Blue-Eyed Devil. The first book was full of characterization; the second one failed that miserably, IMO, of course. In previous threads, some have mentioned that the second book was more of a romance. That may be so, but it still was not one that kept me wanting to come back for more. The way Kleypas set up Sugar Daddy was a story that kept drawing me in and wanting more. And it had romance enough for me.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it had romance enough for me.[/quote]

Yes, me too Tee, but I find romance in general fiction as well. I thought Sugar Daddy was a remarkable effort for Kleypas. Well, now I'm a bit nervous to start Blue-Eyed Devil. I'm planning on taking it out tonight and starting it. Interesting views on it...I'll have to see.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Well, now I'm a bit nervous to start Blue-Eyed Devil. I'm planning on taking it out tonight and starting it. Interesting views on it...I'll have to see.

Don't be nervous about it, xina--just start in on it. I will be anxious to know, though, your reactions to it. They seem to be varied here on the boards, so one never knows what works all the time.
MarianneM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Blue-Eyed Devil is a charmer Reply with quote

Going to have to disagree with you commenters above. I thought that Sugar-Daddy was a bit "off" and only liked it a little, but I was impressed and charmed by Blue-Eyed Devil, which tackled the difficult subject of spousal abuse and handled it very well, I thought.

Also, I just plain liked Hardy Cates. I've met men like Hardy Cates and he rings true as a character. If I were 20 years younger, I wouldn't mind having my own Hardy Cates. So there!

MarianneM
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue-Eyed Devil is a charmer Reply with quote

MarianneM wrote:
Also, I just plain liked Hardy Cates. I've met men like Hardy Cates and he rings true as a character. If I were 20 years younger, I wouldn't mind having my own Hardy Cates. So there!

Ah, Marianne--variety being the spice of life and all that. I love it. By the way, I'm re-reading right now Untamed by Elizabeth Lowell. I know you like her stuff too. I'm looking forward to this one--it's been a while!
nikkiphilton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LK is one of my favorite historical writers so I, too, was hesitant about reading her contemporary novels. But I really like both of them and found them to be fast reading and interesting. I wasn't bothered by the 1st person POV. The only complaint I might voice would be that I would have wanted the heroine in Blue-Eyed Devil to be a little stronger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: