AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroines who've had abortions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Heroines who've had abortions Reply with quote

Hey ladies and gents,

I'm looking for historical romance book suggestions where the heroine has had an abortion, or a secondary character.

Please keep personal comments about the subject matter to yourself. I'm only looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Acorn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I don't think you will find any. If it's historical, I'm sure the character would have died because of the lack of any kind of decent medical care.
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say "good luck" too, just because this is SO taboo in almost all romance. You may find some (evil - or terribly terribly misguided) secondary characters, but an actual heroine? I would certainly be interested if one can be found.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a romance novel, but a book with romantic elements. The main heroine in World Without End, by Ken Follett, aborts her baby by drinking something (can't remember what it was) she got through a healer. She loves the hero who is the baby's father and ends up with him in the end. She regrets her choice to abort the baby throughout the entire book. She wanted to become a doctor and didn't want to be tied down to marriage. A hasty decision made that she regrets almost immediately.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good luck. I don't think you will find any. If it's historical, I'm sure the character would have died because of the lack of any kind of decent medical care.

I haven't come across any romances where the heroine aborts a baby. As you say, it would be a very touchy subject. I don't agree though that the character would necessarily have to die. While a surgical abortion would be beyond risky, there were, and still are, quite a few herbal remedies that were sold under the euphemism of "promoting the menses". This knowledge was passed on among women from generation to generation very quietly due to the disapproval of the church and society generally. Culpeper and Gerard along with other writers refer to many of these herbs often with a warning that they should be avoided by pregnant women. Plenty of women still use them to avoid/terminate unwanted pregnancies. The more advanced the pregnancy, the greater the risk for the woman of course. There is a very good book on the history of contraception called Eve's Herbs by John M. Riddle.

Elizabeth
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a surgical abortion would be beyond risky, ther have to die.e were, and still are, quite a few herbal remedies that were sold under the euphemism of "promoting the menses". This knowledge was passed on among women from generation to generation very quietly due to the disapproval of the church and society generally.

Yes, this was the situation in the Follett novel I referred to. The baby was not far along. If I remember correctly, she was only 4-6 weeks pregnant.
Anna B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentleman Caller, by Megan Chance. One character has aborted, another one is considering it but doesn't.

--Lucille Ball
Acorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies but please, don't turn this into a debate about whether or not someone likely would have died from one because that's not what this topic is about.

Anna B wrote:
The Gentleman Caller, by Megan Chance. One character has aborted, another one is considering it but doesn't.

I really enjoyed her book THE PORTRAIT so I will definitely check this one out.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Acorn"]Thanks for the replies but please, don't turn this into a debate about whether or not someone likely would have died from one because that's not what this topic is about.

I think it's okay to go off-topic now and then. It's sort of the way of a real conversation, don't you think? Very Happy xina
Acorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I think it's okay to go off-topic now and then. It's sort of the way of a real conversation, don't you think? Very Happy xina

Yes, but since I started this topic, I prefer to keep it about book suggestions.
Mmason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Historical Heroines Who Have Had Abortions Reply with quote

I read an historical quite some time ago that I THOUGHT was a Regency! It must have been set quite a bit after the Regency period, but I could never get a good pinpoint on the time frame. The hero was an earl, or a duke, or some nobleman, and the heroine was a village girl. They truly love each other, but the difference in their stations presented "insurmountable" obstacles. In the course of their love affair, she becomes pregnant. Her mother instructs her in how to drink a bottle of whiskey and take an extremely hot bath, to "bring on her flow." It worked, but somehow people found out that she had been pregnant. He finds out, and is hurt by the fact that she had an abortion. They end up together at the end of the book, because he says he would rather live out his days in the village with her and forego society. I wish I could remember the name of the book. It was so unusual and strange that I thought I wouldn't have a problem!!!
Acorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmason, that book sounds very interesting. I'm going to ask about it elsewhere and if someone tells me the title, I'll post it here. Very Happy
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

I think so too Xina and it's often just a natural progression of a topic, someitmes the direction leads where it will. That's part of what makes these discussions so interesting. :)

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:

I think so too Xina and it's often just a natural progression of a topic, someitmes the direction leads where it will. That's part of what makes these discussions so interesting. :)

Linda

Yes, I agree Linda! Some of the most interesting threads on this board are a result of a total spin off of the original subject! I think it's fun to see where it all leads. We have some wonderful posters on this board that can go in all different directions and I suppose that was the point I was trying to make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: