AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help with A Breath of Snow & Ashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Need Help with A Breath of Snow & Ashes Reply with quote

I recently finished reading ABOSAA and the ending was quite intriguing. However, I can't seem to make the connection with the date of the newspaper article that Roger found and the ending with the printers. I know there is something going on with the burned-down cabin and the bodies inside. My small post-menopausal brain isn't working on all cylinders, and I know someone out there has all the answers! Wink

Thanks

P.D. East
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps:
In Drums of Autumn, both Roger and Brianna find historical documents indicating that Jamie and Claire died in a cabin fire in January of 1776, leaving no surviving children. Obviously, this is what caused Bree to travel to the past, and consequently made Roger go as well. As it turns out, no one died in the fire, and the date that appears in the newspaper is the result of the printer not having the template for one of the letters. Basically they figured the report is true, the people in question have been dead for a while, so why bother to check or be accurate with the dates?

As I recall it, the story seemed a bit strange because there were some inconsistencies between the scene with Roger reading the death notice in the 20th century vs. the scene with the printers. But it's been a while since I read Drums of Autumn so I could be wrong.
sssspro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Yulie on this and her explanation. The whole cabin thing is very important because it causes Bree and Roger to travel back to the past to try and ultimately save Claire and Jamie. It has been a while since I've read both of these books, but like Yulie, I seem to remember thinking when I read ABOSAA, that everything did not quite add up correctly from when Roger read the article and the explanation given in ABOSAA. The quick answer at the end about the printer not having the right date or not going back and checking on the information, just didn't come across as being a plausible reason. Like Yulie, I don't remember at this point what exactly was my issue with it, but I remember thinking it all didn't jive 100%. Personally, I think Ms. Gabaldon decided to extend this series WAY beyond its original story and she couldn't have Claire and Jamie die before the Revolutionary War happens so she had to come up with something. Just my $.02

BTW, I STILL love this series and haven't come across anything that even comes close to it in a long long time.
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you!

I usually have a good brain for numbers, but something didn't seem right. Glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it.

P.D. East
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: