AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eurasian Poll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Eurasian Poll Reply with quote

How does Egypt (in Africa) qualify as a Eurasian setting? I thought I was pushing the boundaries by voting for a book set on a Mediterranean island.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I included Egyptian-set books as well--mainly because there were so few books I had read to choose from set in non-Britain Europe and Asia, and partly because Egypt was always included in my Social Studies classes with studies of "Western Asia", which has traditionally been known as the "Near East" or the "Middle East." Somehow, to me, Egypt has always seemed more a part of Asia than Africa.

Kay
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Eurasian Poll Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
How does Egypt (in Africa) qualify as a Eurasian setting? I thought I was pushing the boundaries by voting for a book set on a Mediterranean island.

Out of curiousity, which one was that?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Eurasian Poll Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

If you spoke to any Egyptians, they wouldn't consider themselves to be a part of Africa or the Middle East--they are Egypt. Laughing
kspears

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll apologize ahead of time if this was explained and I missed it. But, where does Australian books fit in? There are a number of really excellent books set in Australia.
LLB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: They don't... Reply with quote

kspears wrote:
I'll apologize ahead of time if this was explained and I missed it. But, where does Australian books fit in? There are a number of really excellent books set in Australia.

There were one or two Australian-set books that garnered enough votes to make it into the top ten, but they were disqualified because obviously Australia is not part of Europe or Asia. Why people voted for them, I don't know. Romances set in Australia tend to be "frontier" romances.
kspears

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that explains it. In my mind, when I see the word "frontier" I think American West and completely forget other frontiers.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island book I voted for is She Who Laughs Last by Jennie Klassel -- a Medieval set on an island somewhere in the Mediterranean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: