AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue-Eyed Devil gets a warm rating?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Blue-Eyed Devil gets a warm rating?! Reply with quote

Well, that was a surprise Laughing

Has the reviewer even read the guide to the sensuality ratings on AAR? By the ways, Kleypas is listed there as one of the authors who tends to write hotter love scenes.

It's true that a large portion of the book deals with the heroine's failed marriage but everything that has to do with Hardy and all love scenes are hot, if not burning.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue-Eyed Devil gets a warm rating?! Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
everything that has to do with Hardy and all love scenes are hot, if not burning.

Last night I finished listening to the audio version and I gotta tell you my, er, ears (coughcough) were on fire. Cool One scene in particular was scorching.

I have a couple of quibbles with the review. It was Haven's choosing to marry Nick that caused the estrangement with her father and the divorce that brought about the beginnings of reconciliation. I'm also wondering what personality changes at the end didn't work for the reviewer.

This book is definitely a DIK for me and I especially appreciate it after reading a string of blah contemporaries. The story and the characters feel real -- flawed but real.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Blue-Eyed Devil gets a warm rating?! Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
I'm also wondering what personality changes at the end didn't work for the reviewer.

I'm guessing it was Haven's father. That did seem a bit abrupt. The part in the review that I didn't get was the suggestion that Haven had an aura of entitlement. That's not the way it came across to me.
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Blue-Eyed Devil Reply with quote

Natalie,
After reading your thoughts on the sensuality rating, I tried to remember just why I DID give it a warm rating. I have written over 70 reviews for AAR and have those rating descriptions deeply embedded in my mind and I think the phrase from the Warm rating "Emotions and feelings are most important" was foremost in my thoughts. But I read through a couple of those passages this morning, and you are right - this is hot! I have asked Laurie to change the rating to Hot.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Lea/AAR
Jpop

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Blue-Eyed Devil Reply with quote

I agree with Yulie. I didn't get a feeling that Haven had a sense of entitlement at all. And, I don't know that I would classify her as a "poor little rich girl" in the traditional sense, which evokes images of poutiness and whining.

Mostly, I don't think it was her family's wealth that was the overwhelming issue here, but simply the fact that Haven grew up in a family where everyone else had such stong personalities that she had to struggle to define her own personality, especially with her mother and father at first and then as an adult, with her husband.

All in all I don't agree much with the review, especially when it comes to Haven's reactions to Hardy. I loved this book, graded it an A+ and a DIK.

Any idea of Kleypas' next contemporary?
SarahT

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the sensuality rating, I thought Lea's review was pretty spot-on. I really enjoyed Blue-Eyed Devil but felt I couldn't give it DIK status purely on the basis of the melodramatic ending.
Carac

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the book last night. In fact, I am tired today, as I stayed up way too late to finish it. I love the book, and I loved Hardy Cates. In fact, I would rate Blue-Eyed Devil above Sugar Daddy. However, I now want to go back and re-read Sugar Daddy, as I can't remember everything the reader was told about all of the characters. I love, love, love Lisa Kleypas and her historicals; now her contemporaries have a firm place on my list of favorites.
`
sanalayla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that folks like it. I just finished "Sugar Daddy" and loved it. I have a question, though: Is it worth it to buy it in hardcover? I waited for the paperback for "Sugar Daddy".
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, no question it's worth the hard cover price. I've already read it twice and I know I'll read it many more times. And hard covers last longer Laughing .

Plus I'm not sure I should mention this....... but what the heck

Check the acknowledgment page - the last page at the top. I'm one of the people she mentions

This book touched me more than many a book. I loved Haven's journey. As much as I loved Sugar Daddy, I loved this one just a tiny bit more - and not because of what I just mentioned.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it in hardcover, and like Kristie, I haven't regretted it. Blue Eyed Devil was really good, and in many cases you can buy it a discount so that it's only a few dollars more than you'd pay for a paperback a few months from now.

What you can also do is wait until a couple of months before the paperback release and then get it in hardcover at a very reduced price. I paid less for my hardcover of Sugar Daddy than what the paperback edition costs, and at one point Amazon was selling them for under $4.

Kristie, I'll look for you when I get home tonight Very Happy .

Last edited by Yulie on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanalayla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
For me, no question it's worth the hard cover price. I've already read it twice and I know I'll read it many more times. And hard covers last longer Laughing .

Plus I'm not sure I should mention this....... but what the heck

Check the acknowledgment page - the last page at the top. I'm one of the people she mentions

OMG, that's awesome!!! OK, well, I think I'll keep on the lookout to see if I can get it discounted. My budget won't allow me to buy it at full price.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to read this last night based on the thread here, and I have to say I liked it less than others seem to. Don't get me wrong, I definitely didn't dislike it in any way, but there was something about Hardy that never quite grabbed me... the whole Texas "roughneck" bad boy doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I tend to shy away from heroes who are supposed to be the "good ol' boy," so it's not necessarily the author's fault. It's hard for me to fully connect with a romance story, however, if I dislike or can't connect with one the leads (usually a TSTL heroine).
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get a copy of this book. I'm already halfway reading Sugar Daddy. Very Happy I'm really in love with Lisa Kleypas' novels
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this book very much. Lisa Kleypas has shown she can write a great historical and also a darn good contemporary romance. I enjoyed Hardy as a hero and thought Haven was a good match for him. I just have thing that didn't click for me and that would be Haven's close relationship with her brothers and her friend Todd. Their willingness to protect her after her horrendous marriage didn't mesh with their absence during her marriage. Where were they then? I realize she had been cut off from the family, but you'd think one of those guys would have checked in on her over the year she was married to that slime-ball. Anyway...that is my only complaint. I've enjoyed having the book to read and have been savoring it. Does anyone know if Kleypas is continuing this series? As in a book for Jack?
Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite authors and I admire her for her far reach in fiction. I also think it's wonderful that she hasn't jumped on the paranormal wagon like so many others. At least for now she hasn't....
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to her website, there's no word if she's writing a contemporary as of this time. Her upcoming releases are Wallflower Christmas on October 2008, and Seduce Me at Sunrise on September. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: