AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Characters Who Like to Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willaful

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that scene in My False Heart - especially when we find out that he knows she's there and is showing off for her.
cheri

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read one several months ago but the title escapes me. He is just arriving to scotland IIRC and spys her and her sister swimming. They haven't met yet and she does realize she's being watched after a minute. I'll keep thinking and hopefully come up with the title. cheri
cheri

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think of another one. Julie Anne Long's Beauty and the Spy. I think she sees him swimming and decides to draw him IIRC. I will keep racking my brain for the other one. it wasn't on my list of things I've read lately so it was b4 the start of the year. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post twice...my dogs were barking at someone and I clicked twice! Shocked
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mentioned The Conquerer by Brenda Joyce? Out of all the scenes such as this I've read, this one I remember the most. The hero watches the heroine swim naked in a pond and is so "interested" he takes himself in hand.
Schola

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try Jo Goodman's Beyond a Wicked Kiss, but be warned that it's the villains who like to watch.
MaryK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Voyeurism Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
desiderata wrote:
Normally voyeurism leaves me "eh" whether it's the hero or the heroine peeking. One exception is in Emma Holly's Beyond Innocence, where the hero watches the heroine in a dressing room being fitted for a gown. Very hot. Of course, it's Emma Holly -- it's going to be well done and hot.

For some reason that scene actually turned me off the book; it struck me as creepy and I don't know why. It's particularly weird because I loved Judith Ivory's The Proposition, which begins almost the same way, where Mick sees Winnie lift her skirts and is immediately impressed by her gorgeous legs. Just another example of being able to hold two mutually contradictory ideas at the same time.

I had a similar response. I remember hardly anything about Beyond Innocence except that scene. For me, it's because he deliberately plans to spy on her. Whereas, in The Proposition, he had a legitimate reason to be where he was and happened to see her. Sort of the difference between a peeping tom and a neighbor who looks over at the wrong time.
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenda Joyce does it a *lot*. In addition to the other books mentioned, Francesca Cahill spies on at least two couples having sex in the "deadly" series.
Manda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a scene in Julie Anne Long's Perils of Pleasure where the h/h are forced to hide in a wardrobe and peek out at a countess and her footman lover getting busy on the bed in front of them. It's a very well written scene: hot, funny, uncomfortable, sexy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: