AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That's So Dated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: dated Reply with quote

Love this thread, Can you guess the author? Female lead (from older books) has Dorothy Hamill style wedge haircut, sometimes wears pant suits; male lead has a thick pelt of hair (on his head), ok if you haven't guessed it yet the female leads always have flared hips: Jayne Krentz
WandaSue

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Did anyone else read today's (Sat, 31 May) Blondie comic strip? It reflects this topic very well.

Kay

So true!

Phone booths - ?? LOL!
pinkbubble

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie Macomber re-relesed Country Brides a few months ago. I knew it was a re release. It was published back in 1990. I was able to forgive the clothes and some of the attitudes but I had a real hard time with the no cell phone.

Funny how in less than 10 years that darn phone has gotten to be a part of us.

She even mentions it in her letter to the reader and I still got all twitchy about it Smile
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the category of really dated attitudes, several people mentioned smoking.

However -- do any of the rest of you remember the English "hospital romances" of the late 40s through the early 60s in which the doctors and nurses just casually popped amphetamines to keep themselves going through long shifts and then opiates so they could sleep? The books didn't make a point of it at all, neither as desirable nor undesirable -- it was just part of the environment.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkbubble wrote:
Debbie Macomber re-relesed Country Brides a few months ago. I knew it was a re release. It was published back in 1990. I was able to forgive the clothes and some of the attitudes but I had a real hard time with the no cell phone.

Funny how in less than 10 years that darn phone has gotten to be a part of us.

She even mentions it in her letter to the reader and I still got all twitchy about it Smile

On the other hand... The other day, I watched the original Norwegian version of Insomnia, which came out in 1997, and I was actually surprised when the main character (can't call him the hero Wink) called someone on his cell phone. Smile I don't know many people who had cell phones in 1997. I guess like so many other European nations, Norway "went mobile" before cell phones were all that common in the U.S.
Diana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: dated Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Love this thread, Can you guess the author? Female lead (from older books) has Dorothy Hamill style wedge haircut, sometimes wears pant suits; male lead has a thick pelt of hair (on his head), ok if you haven't guessed it yet the female leads always have flared hips: Jayne Krentz

Elizabeth Lowell was fond of covering men in pelts as well. Pelted chests, pelted heads, pelted faces. Oy. Cool
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: dated Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Elizabeth Lowell was fond of covering men in pelts as well. Pelted chests, pelted heads, pelted faces. Oy. Cool

Eww. Smile Pelts are OK if the hero is, say, a ThunderCat or Beast from the X-Men.

The idea of regular men with "pelts" reminds me of this chapter opening from David Weber's Honor Among Enemies:

The rippling sound of shuffled cards hovered in the berthing compartment as Randy Steilman's thick fingers manipulated the deck. He'd shed his work uniform for shorts and a T-shirt, and the dense hair on his heavily muscled arms looked like dark fur under the lights.

Ewww. And it should be no surprise that Steilman is also nasty.
MarianneM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: "regular men with pelts?" Reply with quote

Now, ladies and other friends, what's so wrong with pelts? It sounds like a friendly word to me. Back in the days before young men carefully removed all their body hair so one could see the definition of their abdominal and pectoral muscles [and God knows what else -- I'm not going there] a young, healthy, testosterone loaded male had hair on his chest and arms and legs, and when it wasn't excessive, it was kind of cozy, if my memory serves me. The word pelt also indicates a thick healthy head of hair, one you can run your fingers through. Now all these things can be overdone [who wants a hairy Neanderthal in the bedroom, after all] and hair which covers a man's back and shoulders thickly is a definite turn-off for me.

Actually, the biggest turn-off for me is this ubiquitous facial hairyness -- the grungy two-day beard, the goatee which fails because of spottiness and lack of precise trimming, the "soul patch" and other hair adornments with which young men try to distract the observing eye from weak chins, sly eyes, narrow jaws and a generally weaselly look. In my youth, which was forever ago as I have said before, a well-shaven male face was a definite turn-on. And it didn't leave a woman who had sensitive skin with a severe case of beard scald after a make-out session.

But I'm old now -- and I don't make out as much as I used to. Darn it.

MarianneM
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:
On the other hand... The other day, I watched the original Norwegian version of Insomnia, which came out in 1997, and I was actually surprised when the main character (can't call him the hero Wink) called someone on his cell phone. Smile I don't know many people who had cell phones in 1997. I guess like so many other European nations, Norway "went mobile" before cell phones were all that common in the U.S.

I remember cell phones in 1997. My mom had one from Sprint and it was big and clunky. But it wasn't common. I do remember beepers being common in the 90s. As a kid, a person who had a beeper was all that.
Yulie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:

By 1997, I think a sizeable portion of Israel's population had cellphones. It was the year I got my first phone (a Nokia 2120, definitely big and clunky) and many of my friends had had their phones for even longer. But then Israelis love to talk, I think we have more cellphones per person than just about any country in the world.

I'm always amused to watch vintage sci-fi films in which cars fly over cities but everyone has to make calls from pay phones.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

Anne Marble wrote:
The other day, I watched the original Norwegian version of Insomnia, which came out in 1997, and I was actually surprised when the main character (can't call him the hero Wink ) called someone on his cell phone. Smile I don't know many people who had cell phones in 1997. I guess like so many other European nations, Norway "went mobile" before cell phones were all that common in the U.S.

Well, Nokia, which is based in Finland, started making mobile phones really user friendly in the mid-90s, so it makes sense that Europe's mass market started using them first.

I've always been a "late adapter" myself, so I didn't get my own mobile until around 2001. However, I remember when the coolest thing you could own in the late 90s was a Nokia 3210. Laughing Today, nobody would be caught dead with "just" a Nokia 3210.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind references to weird hairstyles and even weirder fashion outfits if they are true to the time period. I don't like if the man has a mustache though-but then I didn't like that even when it was all the rage back in the eighties and I being young enough to go slavishly with fashion dictates.

Another thing are really outdated attitudes. But I remember that I found many older hero's attitudes even outdated back then when the book was written. I gave up reading romances after 1985 like Cora because the attitudes of the characters made me cringe in those many, many rape-fest books of the eighties and I couldn't relate to them at all. They seemed absolutely over the top and unauthentic even back then. I think all over the top romances which show extreme positions of the respective era which have been written ten or more years ago seem outdated to me whether they are historicals, mysteries or contemporaries. I imagine that I will very possibly find "Sex and the city" quite outdated too ten years into the future because the characters lax and matter-of-fact attitude toward sexual relationships seems very extreme to me. The women don't seem authentic to me, they are not "real" at all and don't resemble any person I personally know the slightest bit (and I really enjoyed the show and will see the movie too).

Kerstin
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin, I suspect that our mutual problems with 1970s/1980s style bodicerippers may have something to do with cultural differences between the US and Europe. There is the theory that the rape scenes in those books allowed female readers to fantasize about enjoying sex with a manly man without instigating the encounter, because that much sexual initiative would have been considered unladylike. Since Germany was less hung up about sex at the time than the US, perhaps German readers including teenagers like us didn't need that excuse.

As for Sex and the City, I don't think that the attitudes portrayed therein are realistic for anyplace except perhaps a certain wealthy upperclass in New York and perhaps not even there. Because the four Sex and the City women do not remind me of any women I've met in the US (or elsewhere for that matter).
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
As for Sex and the City, I don't think that the attitudes portrayed therein are realistic for anyplace except perhaps a certain wealthy upperclass in New York and perhaps not even there. Because the four Sex and the City women do not remind me of any women I've met in the US (or elsewhere for that matter).

Back when the show had reached its peak, a lot of critics claimed the four characters were really gay men, based on the lives of the gay men who wrote and produced the show. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Sex and the City, I don't think that the attitudes portrayed therein are realistic for anyplace except perhaps a certain wealthy upperclass in New York and perhaps not even there. Because the four Sex and the City women do not remind me of any women I've met in the US (or elsewhere for that matter).[/quote]

That reminds me of an interview I saw with Cynthia Nixon recently. She said that women come up to her all the time on the street in NYC and tell her that she is the reason they moved there..apparently hoping for the same kind of life she has on show. She said they are probably disappointed that they can't run around in high heels all day, and party every night because nobody does that, and that is only pretend and fantasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: