AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With Every Breath by Lynn Kurland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanessa

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: With Every Breath by Lynn Kurland Reply with quote

Has anyone read this one yet? I don't exactly know how I feel about it. I love love love Lynn Kurland, when I first read This Is All I Ask, I was bawling. Whenever any of her new books come out I snatch them up immediately. However, I can't say that I always actually like the books. I feel like her most recent books are way to long as they come to an end. Like, she could cut out about half the chapters and the book wouldn't suffer from it. And yet, I will still buy each and every book she writes lol and thoroughly enjoy it I'm sure :)

Her new book has all the elements I love and expect from a Lynn Kurland novel, but I found myself hopping around from scene to scene all the way to the end. I ended up giving the book a B+, but I'm not sure if it's because its actually a good book or if it's just because it's a Kurland book and I can do nothing but love it :/

Anyone else?
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think this book was released yet. Where did you find a copy?
Vanessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was out in both Borders closest to me and a Waldenbooks, all on Long Island, and a few supermarkets lol It's defintely out Very Happy
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it at a Barnes & Noble last week, and they don't even have Julia Quinn's latest yet...grrr!
angelika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vanessa:
I know what you mean; "Much Ado about Midnight" and even the much anticipated "When I fall in love" were kinda of longer that they should have been. I haven't read "With every breath" and take your word for it that it's enjoyable.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popped over to B & N this morning and picked up With Every Breath in hard copy since it is not available in a Kindle edition. Grrr. I am a big fan of Kurland's books; the last couple were not as good as some of the earlier books but still good reads. WEB is garnering very positive reviews on a number of review sites. I am really looking forward to reading it. I'll post when I'm finished. Very Happy
Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone, With Every Breath is out there in hardcover?! not awesome, I only saw all the copies in paperback.

And I went back to re read some of the book, I'm filling in the parts that I skipped over the first time lol I still like it, so that's a plus :D

Edit to say that im clearly slow and need a couple of classes on reading comprehension. hard copy not so much hard cover lol
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Kurland fan and have read all of her books. I have been captivated by the MacLeod and De Piaget clans for years; I have my favorites among the lot but have enjoyed all of them to a certain degree. She writes so well that you believe the time travel is possible. There is so much romance in her stories and I always feel that the h/h are destined to be together. And isn't it powerful to think that love can transcend time?

I just finished With Every Breath and I thought it was an enchanting tale. This time there was a bit of a twist to the time travel tale that added another dimension to the story. I absolutely fell in love with Cameron; What a wonderful hero he turned out to be. He was strong, caring, driven, and vulnerable in a way. There were some very touching moments in the story and I loved how Cam was not afraid to show his emotions. What a guy!

It was also fun to check in with some of the characters from earlier stories. And they all played important roles here and were not just there as "window dressing." This story could definitely be read as a stand alone and there was enough information about the secondary characters to understand their back story. However, if you've read the other tales, you probably would enjoy the characters from past stories a lot more.

The one criticism I would offer has to do with our heroine Sunny. There was much to like about her. She was independent, intelligent, resourceful, loyal, principled, caring, and very funny at times. What was "off" about her character was how weepy she was! I can understand that there were several places in the story where the strong emotion was highly appropriate, but she was a regular watering pot. It seemed to go against her character.

All-in-all, it was a very satisfying read. Grade: B+
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this book last night and I have to say, although I somewhat enjoyed it, it's not Lynn Kurland's best.

First, the font size is way too small for comfort reading. The book is unnecessarily thick to warrant such a small font size, which leads me to my next complain: I think the book shouldn't have been this long. I had to skip pages and pages of tedious and repetitive scenes of gasping, weeping, mooning, or something similar, on both H/H's parts. Some of the romantic scenes are way too syrupy sweet for my taste too.

All in all, just a C for me unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: